Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions about Anglos I can't afford  (Read 7268 times)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Questions about Anglos I can't afford
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2017, 05:09:36 PM »

V good q I was considering this morning. Maybe the pull D on the C row? Substitute that reed for C#. It has the advantage that probably the reed would go straight in without mods. Otherwise one on the high RH G row perhaps....but then the pan would need modding to take a bigger reed....
Then you've lost the really nice pull D minor chord on the C row.  :(
It would be like getting rid of the pull E on the D-row of a D/G melodeon and substituting an Eb instead. All the ease of playing your nice E minor tunes would be gefurked*.

I'm all for not meddling with the layout on a 20 key anglo. If you want a C# then the best solution is to get a 30-key anglo (a far more useful instrument anyway).

* technical term  >:E
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2017, 06:01:34 PM »

Yes...actually I think you are right about that. Probably not a great substitute...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 04:54:39 AM by RogerT »

TedK

• Regular debater
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2017, 12:44:07 PM »

I feel that people are being a bit hard on the cheap concertinas, perhaps because they are experienced musicians who immediately notice the limitations.

A "cheap" Chinese C/G was perfectly fine for me to pick up the basics for a few months before deciding to spend more money on a decent instrument. I would not buy a new one though as they will devalue greatly, and I'd recommend a 30 button model.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2017, 02:40:29 PM »

A "cheap" Chinese C/G was perfectly fine for me to pick up the basics for a few months before deciding to spend more money on a decent instrument. I would not buy a new one though as they will devalue greatly, and I'd recommend a 30 button model.

I have to confess to being reasonably impressed (to my surprise) with the Chinese built, accordion reeded, Scarlatti 30-key anglos which the East Anglian Traditional Music Trust bought as a teaching/loan set for beginners. They worked well enough for, as you say, people to pick up the basics and decide whether the anglo was the instrument for them or not. They tended to be on the quiet and slightly sluggish side, but overall not too bad compared with some of the cheap Chinese instruments around.

However, the prize for the worst concertinas I have ever come across has to go to the old DDR 'Scholer' instruments which were truly dreadful.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2017, 05:54:36 AM »

I've got a CG Stagi Gremlin like this one, except it has metal buttons. It plays pretty well actually, though I'm considering whether to stick some harmonikas DIX reeds in it.
https://www.gremlinmusic.co.uk/product.php?ID=GR47007
I've had to reset some of the reeds on the LH to improve the response a bit, but otherwise it's quite serviceable.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal