Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bellows slap  (Read 1209 times)

richard.fleming

Bellows slap
« on: December 28, 2016, 03:54:42 PM »

The outside top corner of my bellows nearest the r/h side tends to slap a lot when I play and I can't seem to find a good playing position where this doesn't happen. Any ideas on how to stop this? Not a problem I've had before.
Old Paolo Sopranis in C#/D and D/D#

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: Bellows slap
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 03:11:02 PM »

Difficult question to answer without seeing what is happening, Richard. One of my old Double Rays has extremely well-loosened bellows that, if not handled properly, can easily make a noise reminiscent of the full cast of Riverdance battering it out together. However this never happens in practice - I use one strap, rest the treble cabinet on my left thigh, keep the bellows on a tight rein, keep the bottom front edge closed most of the time and angle my left hand forward to create a concave curve at the front of the bellows. What do you do?

richard.fleming

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 10:03:14 AM »

If I have the box on my left leg it is less of a problem but I'm more comfortable with the box further to the right, as it happens more like the way Joe Cooley held his boxes, though I did not consciously model it on him, though I am a big fan of that style of playing. I have to have the bellows fairly straight, I can't easily curve them the way you suggest - again just my shape I guess. I'm finding it hard to work out if it is me or the box, but I think it is me. On the other hand I've been playing a long time and haven't had the problem until recently...
Old Paolo Sopranis in C#/D and D/D#

george garside

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 10:39:34 AM »

the less the bellows are open the more control you have and the less chance of 'shake' occurring. I always play with the bellows as near closed as possible  but obviously open them more for short periods  when ever outwards they must go !

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Chris Brimley

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 11:18:03 AM »

The outside top corner of my bellows nearest the r/h side tends to slap a lot when I play and I can't seem to find a good playing position where this doesn't happen. Any ideas on how to stop this? Not a problem I've had before.

Have a look at this old thread, which was about this:

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,1032.msg9216.html#msg9216

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 12:31:58 PM »

"The outside top corner of my bellows nearest the r/h side tends to slap a lot"

I find this also happens to me occasionally. Being slightly portly, my little boxes tend to stick out at the bottom because of my kite, I cure it by holding the box higher up, on top of it instead of in front. It only happens with the more well used boxes with "loose" bellows, though.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 01:20:18 PM »

I'd suggest that a video might not only help folk here to advise you, but you might also see for yourself what the cause is.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal