Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Pin Pliers  (Read 4002 times)

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Pin Pliers
« on: December 28, 2016, 04:58:03 PM »

Do I really have to send to Germany or the USA for a set of pin removal pliers?

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Pin Pliers
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 05:09:06 PM »

I use a pair of these and have successfully pulled thousands of pins

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 05:13:17 PM »

Yes I too have a similar pair, but I have damaged the head of pins, a couple of times. So, I thought I'd treat myself to the proper tool for the job.

Sir John

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

911377brian

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 05:13:48 PM »

Maplins stock lots of pliers that can be used to remove bellows pins,John. Can't see why they need to be special German pliers to fulfil the task. 

911377brian

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 05:15:10 PM »

Whoops! Lester beat me to it....

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 06:03:49 PM »

Yes I too have a similar pair, but I have damaged the head of pins, a couple of times. So, I thought I'd treat myself to the proper tool for the job.

Sir John

Bit of cloth over the pin before the pliers protects both the pin and the casework

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 07:08:33 PM »

I use a pair similar to Lester's, from a set that's commonly available in pound shops - or if you really need to splash out, Aldi or Lidl. They're not great quality as end-cutters - in fact they're pretty useless - but great for pulling pins. The so-called cutting edge isn't very sharp to begin with, and it's easy to dull it further with a fine file, You could file a small recess in the jaws with a round Swiss file if you wanted, but I haven't found it necessary.  As Lester says, a small piece of cloth - I use an old cotton handkerchief - should provide adequate protection.

Graham

Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

george garside

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 07:31:37 PM »

same exactly as Lester and never any damage

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Grumpy

• Grumpy
  • Regular debater
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 07:45:39 PM »

You can obtain ball ended pliers from any archery supplier (google will give dealers, all should supply by post), they are used to crimp beads onto a bow string for sighting and positioning. These pliers have a ball shape jaw the same size as bellows pins however as others have said a small patch of cloth should always be placed over the pin head for protection. As an aside this same question was asked a few months back on this forum  and I posted this reply then.
Chris D, Surrey, UK
Getting old but still learning. Pokerwork G/D, Saltarelle L'Elfique G/D, Castagnari Lilly G/D and Hohner Liliput Declubed G/D + English concertinas, mandolins, recorders, tin whistles and other items unknown to household managment

squeezecat

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 09:12:21 AM »

Somebody lost my grip pincers so I've been using artery clamps like these, works pretty well!

I use cloth to protect the wood, but not the pin. Is there some structural damage that can be done to the head of the pin, or are marks/scratches the concern?

Graham Spencer

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 10:32:58 AM »

Somebody lost my grip pincers so I've been using artery clamps like these, works pretty well!

I use cloth to protect the wood, but not the pin. Is there some structural damage that can be done to the head of the pin, or are marks/scratches the concern?

Are your haemostats serrated or smooth jawed?  I'd be wary of using serrated jaw ones on unprotected bellows pins because they can grip very firmly, and they're designed to lock into place (because they need to be left unattended to clamp blood vessels while both the surgeon's hands are occupied elsewhere) and so it can be a touch difficult to get just the right degree of pressure. The curved jaw would help in levering up the pins, though.

Graham

PS  Just noticed the  one in your pic is straight-jawed! I'd have thought curved jaws would be better........
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 10:56:31 AM »

You can obtain ball ended pliers from any archery supplier (google will give dealers, all should supply by post), they are used to crimp beads onto a bow string for sighting and positioning. These pliers have a ball shape jaw the same size as bellows pins however as others have said a small patch of cloth should always be placed over the pin head for protection. As an aside this same question was asked a few months back on this forum  and I posted this reply then.

I have searched in vain for these.

Sir John

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 11:47:36 AM »

I have searched in vain for these.

From a quick look you might like to look for "nocking pliers". Here is a link to an inexpensive set, just one I came across.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 12:30:44 PM »

Same as Lester but i ground out a couple of slots in the pincer blades to simulate the expensive Hohner ones. Also plastered metal with masking tape and use strip of chamois leather.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 12:40:59 PM »

I suppose those with a pillar drill and clamp could drill a pin sized hole in the closed jaws of a cheap pair of end cutters to accept the pin head, then gently file off any sharp edges..
In fact, after that 'lightbulb' moment, might take my blunted end cutters into work in a few days....!
Just a thought.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Grumpy

• Grumpy
  • Regular debater
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2016, 12:50:04 PM »

Hi Sir John, if you go to www.quicksarchery.co.uk (they are at Hampton, Surrey) click on "workshop" and you will find several Nock Pliers, I would sugest LA10 as this is what I have they do the job for me although I bow to Lester and the other experts in their choice of tools.
Chris D, Surrey, UK
Getting old but still learning. Pokerwork G/D, Saltarelle L'Elfique G/D, Castagnari Lilly G/D and Hohner Liliput Declubed G/D + English concertinas, mandolins, recorders, tin whistles and other items unknown to household managment

Grumpy

• Grumpy
  • Regular debater
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2016, 12:53:11 PM »

Sorry Sir John MalcolmBEBB beat me to it Regards Chris D
Chris D, Surrey, UK

Graham Spencer

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2016, 01:12:03 PM »

I suppose those with a pillar drill and clamp could drill a pin sized hole in the closed jaws of a cheap pair of end cutters to accept the pin head, then gently file off any sharp edges..
In fact, after that 'lightbulb' moment, might take my blunted end cutters into work in a few days....!
Just a thought.
Q

The hole isn't necessary as long as the end-cutters are sufficiently blunt.

Graham

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2016, 01:12:57 PM »

I have seen the suggestion of fitting a small round file into a lathe or chuck of a low speed drill and simply closing the jaws of the pliers/cutters on to the rotating file.
Not tried it myself.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2016, 01:32:12 PM »

Graham - ok fair enough. Perhaps I was over thinking it!
I bought a cheap pair from Maplins I think, they have bright yellow plastic handles so presumably won't get lost in fog.
They weren't too sharp to begin with and even less so after talking to them with a file  8)
I have a thin piece of card with a slot cut into it and slip it down around pin head to stop the pliers marking the surface of the casework.
I've also drilled holes in a small pice of 2x1" wood so I can put the pins in as I take them out of the case. Then the pin goes back into the hole it came out of. Someone on here suggested making sure the pin goes back where it came from, so this is my way of keeping track when removing them. Not being experienced in basic fettling I've done what was advised.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal