Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: International handbook for MAD  (Read 2128 times)

gettabettabox

International handbook for MAD
« on: December 29, 2016, 07:47:52 PM »

Extracts from one of the suggested screening 'tools' in the 2016 international handbook for Melodeon Acquisition Disorder, signs, symptoms and diagnostic aid.

Section 3 - word association.

1) Hohner (*note to screener- response of "owner" rates maximum)
2) Morris
3) button
4) strap
5) gusset
6) ......

Section 6 lifestyle....

2) have you considered other interests or hobbies in life like DIY or fishing?
3) to what extent have your personal relationships suffered as a result of playing the melodeon?
4) to what extent has your financial status been compromised as a result of your engagement with melodeons?
5) what, in your view, is the ultimate instrument in the musical world?

* note to screener - please mark accordingly for evidence of denial.

I feel it's only fair to post this to alert fellow forum members, if you do get referred by a so-called caring relative, these are the sort of questions ahead.

;)  (:)

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Re: International handbook for MAD
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 07:59:45 PM »

Section 6 lifestyle....

2) have you considered other interests or hobbies in life like DIY or fishing? #

I do both, and can't see what effect they would have on my suffering from MAD

3) to what extent have your personal relationships suffered as a result of playing the melodeon?

I experience frosty silences, and incredulous exclamations of "Not another bloody melodeon"

4) to what extent has your financial status been compromised as a result of your engagement with melodeons?

See previous response, add, "How much did this one cost then?"

5) what, in your view, is the ultimate instrument in the musical world?

The one that just appeared on German eBay

Sir (In the doghouse) John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 08:54:49 PM »

Who would, or dare to, argue with a knight if the realm? You have described my experience (so far) exactly!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 11:45:20 PM »

But you've already got a melodeon!  >:E
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Melissa Sinclair

• Regular debater
  • Got my first squeeze... box(es)
    • Melissa's Melodeons
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 07:20:10 PM »

I found this yesterday while looking up what precisely MAD meant. I got the gist of it from the context, but being of curious mind, I looked it up and found this.  Just now I was thinking on this... (as I read another post or two as well about the true "madness" some of our significant others might have about such hobbies... and I'm sure it's been discussed before. Here goes... not to rationalize, but...

Of all the hobbies and all the ways to spend expendable income, buying melodeons is a much safer and cheaper hobby than many and provides beauty and joy and stress relief too...

I'm thinking of my friends whose hobby is to do photography - super expensive and equipment gets dated quickly. What about vintage cars? or motorcycles?

It's safe - not like rocky climbing, or motorcycling.

Then there is mess of a hobby - having one to several melodeons doesn't create much mess - they fit in a box, can sit in a nice corner in their box, or if one is sitting out? BEAUTIFUL... nothing to clean up, nothing to make a mess - unlike baking, crafting, woodworking.

And then there is the fact it can be shared - at home with your family, at your community event/church, online, etc.

And it provides community - look at all of you building friendships over this forum over a common interest  - and community in real life too.

And it provides learning that can be shared in other areas of your life - you learn about music theory and new tunes. It can open your eyes to folk festivals and musical events. etc.

OF ALLLLLL hobbies - being mad about this one seems fairly harmless and I certainly hope your families can appreciate that.

Now, if you are going in debt, building your own boxes with woodworking, while riding your vintage car to pick up a new instrument and then doing professional photography of each new piece... then well... maybe they can complain.

"If" I get into this as I hope I will (as I'm pretty obsessed at the moment), it will be the least messy, least invasive of space I've picked up yet. If only I enjoyed what my husband did - chess and trivia, would it be cheaper and less messy.  ;D

Ok... now to keep reading about your stories, tunes, adventures, etc. while I wait in a queue for my Hohner.
Plunking on my 1st box: Vintage burl Hohner in GC,  a lonely Hohner Liliput in CF, and a borrowed Streb to have a "silent Melodeon" and a melodeon of many keys!

hickory-wind

• Lives in NY USA near the Erie Canal
    • Bellingers' Button Boxes
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 07:42:41 PM »

I will be the one vilified for first infecting Melissa...

I suppose I should be working on her box instead of poking around this forum-but it is one of the symptoms of the disease.

sb

too many boxes...please buy one, or two, or

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 11:37:02 PM »

...And it provides community - look at all of you building friendships over this forum over a common interest  - and community in real life too...

I hate to be the one to rain on your parade but that "friendship building" does not extend to everyone.
http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,19916.msg240781.html#msg240781

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 12:08:26 AM »

Ah, first footsteps on the slippery slope with classic signs of denial Melissa, even now we know who your dealer is, there is little chance for you to escape ;)

Whats the worst that can happen to a rock climber ? fall off and gravity does the rest.

Ditto a motor cyclist? takes a header over the handlebars and gravity does the rest.

Gravity is almost the most pervasive force in the universe (which can only be overcome with duct tape) but even gravity (or duct tape) cannot help you escape the downward spiral you seem to have commited yourself to such is the overpowering force of Need Another Melodeon :(

Welcome to a future of furtive bids on ebay and a house filling with treasured boxes, which seemed like a good idea at the time but are either past economic renovation or not quite what is wanted now, hiding new buys from family and family etc.

On the bright side they are compact(ish) quiet if not disturbed, as good as greenbacks to other sufferers, do not need feeding, smell reasonable and so far there does not seem to be the same public view of their hoarders as there is of 'mad old cat men or women'   ::)

You are bang on with all the upsides and with all the current research hopes of an innoculation or cure for MAD are still possible.

Welcome to the finest addicts help group on the interweb !

(You are also in good hands with your dealer fettler)

Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

Melissa Sinclair

• Regular debater
    • Melissa's Melodeons
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 12:16:48 AM »

...And it provides community - look at all of you building friendships over this forum over a common interest  - and community in real life too...

I hate to be the one to rain on your parade but that "friendship building" does not extend to everyone.

? I don't get it from what you posted -

But yes, every group has people who click more than others... if that is what you mean?
Plunking on my 1st box: Vintage burl Hohner in GC,  a lonely Hohner Liliput in CF, and a borrowed Streb to have a "silent Melodeon" and a melodeon of many keys!

Melissa Sinclair

• Regular debater
    • Melissa's Melodeons
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 12:28:30 AM »

Ah, first footsteps on the slippery slope with classic signs of denial Melissa, even now we know who your dealer is, there is little chance for you to escape ;)

Whats the worst that can happen to a rock climber ? fall off and gravity does the rest.

Ditto a motor cyclist? takes a header over the handlebars and gravity does the rest.

Gravity is almost the most pervasive force in the universe (which can only be overcome with duct tape) but even gravity (or duct tape) cannot help you escape the downward spiral you seem to have commited yourself to such is the overpowering force of Need Another Melodeon :(

Welcome to a future of furtive bids on ebay and a house filling with treasured boxes, which seemed like a good idea at the time but are either past economic renovation or not quite what is wanted now, hiding new buys from family and family etc.

On the bright side they are compact(ish) quiet if not disturbed, as good as greenbacks to other sufferers, do not need feeding, smell reasonable and so far there does not seem to be the same public view of their hoarders as there is of 'mad old cat men or women'   ::)

You are bang on with all the upsides and with all the current research hopes of an innoculation or cure for MAD are still possible.

Welcome to the finest addicts help group on the interweb !

(You are also in good hands with your dealer fettler)

Too funny! I haven't even laid my hands on one yet - ever - in my life. I might hate it!! But I'm already planning on what's next... researching what going prices are for things, so I know what to expect. Learning about what's out there. Figuring out what tones and keys I like and might need, etc.

I had a few days off with work...maybe it will be good that I have a SUPER busy schedule coming up....  I work on the VERY northern edge of Washington, DC. Full work day tomorrow, several events for Friday, Inauguration day, where we are hosting "how to cope" discussions and hosting an "un-ball" in the evening - for resistance. Then on Saturday, going down into DC for the Women's March. THen I always work on Sundays, and then on Monday I have a 12 hour day... I won't have time to obsess about this any more!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 01:56:44 AM »

? I don't get it from what you posted -

I think Pearse is referring to a form of (usually friendly and understandable) segregation which can occur at some of the larger music festivals in England, where there is a lot of choice of pubs and other venues for the different genres of traditional music which people might want to play there. Each musical tradition in the British Isles has its own devotees. For a very long time English traditional music - as opposed to Irish, Scottish or (to a lesser extent, Welsh) - was rather sidelined and 'under the radar', but since about the mid-1980s has enjoyed a huge resurgence and rediscovery of our own traditional heritage.

So this means that at festival time, the various sessions get known and advertised as being 'English', or 'Irish', or whatever, so that players (and listeners) know what to expect there and what sort of repertoire and style are going to be played. As I've said, normally this distinction does not cause any problems, you just turn up at the particular venue to take part in the type of music you enjoy the most. However, I guess that the example which Pearse referred to was an extreme case of nasty anti-Irish feeling on behalf of the pub landlord, and not (I sincerely hope) the musicians.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Melissa Sinclair

• Regular debater
    • Melissa's Melodeons
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 03:06:40 AM »

I think Pearse is referring to a form of (usually friendly and understandable) segregation which can occur at some of the larger music festivals in England, where there is a lot of choice of pubs and other venues for the different genres of traditional music which people might want to play there. Each musical tradition in the British Isles has its own devotees. For a very long time English traditional music - as opposed to Irish, Scottish or (to a lesser extent, Welsh) - was rather sidelined and 'under the radar', but since about the mid-1980s has enjoyed a huge resurgence and rediscovery of our own traditional heritage.

So this means that at festival time, the various sessions get known and advertised as being 'English', or 'Irish', or whatever, so that players (and listeners) know what to expect there and what sort of repertoire and style are going to be played. As I've said, normally this distinction does not cause any problems, you just turn up at the particular venue to take part in the type of music you enjoy the most. However, I guess that the example which Pearse referred to was an extreme case of nasty anti-Irish feeling on behalf of the pub landlord, and not (I sincerely hope) the musicians.

OK, I see.. as an American - who grew up in the midwest (Iowa) and now lives east coast (Maryland) that totally didn't catch my radar. "That" kind of divide we don't have in the US. Racial, urban/rural... that's a different story.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal