Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drunken Sailor's Hornpipe  (Read 2582 times)

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
Drunken Sailor's Hornpipe
« on: December 31, 2016, 08:36:26 AM »

One of my favourite tunes and not to be confused with the Drunken Sailor (what shall we do with a drunken sailor etc).
The tune starts at 2:29 but it's worth it for the amazing rhythmical control on the box. It's a five part Hornpipe and a very addictive tune indeed.
https://youtu.be/OSA93uqLqyc

And here is the version I first heard back in 1993 on The Fire Aflame, a great album, but sadly sans accordion.
https://youtu.be/Hbn698FvLOk
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 08:40:52 AM by RogerT »

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
Re: Drunken Sailor's Hornpipe
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 11:02:59 AM »

...not to be confused with the Drunken Sailor...

Indeed!

There are at least 7 or 8 ABC versions of this on The Session.

The two which appeal to me most are in D (EDor) and G (ADor), but both seem a bit wonky
(I think) in that there are some bars at the end/start of repeats which appear to have
an incorrect number/duration of notes (I hope that makes sense - I'm still a beginner!).
Anyway, it sounds a bit 'peculiar'.

Am I allowed to stick in the odd (carefully chosen to sound 'OK') note here and there in
an attempt to make it all come out right?

Thank you.

Roger
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 11:05:37 AM by lachenal74693 »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

TomB

• BCC#, Cairden BC Mini and lots of PA's
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 11:29:27 AM »

Not an easy tune to keep going but well worth the effort. So many different variations that people play to make it their own, play what you feel is right for you on your instrument.
I submitted this tune for a TOTM a good while ago, I should have another go and try to get it a bit better.
https://soundcloud.com/cysgod/drunkensailor

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 11:49:54 AM »

Am I allowed to stick in the odd (carefully chosen to sound 'OK') note here and there in
an attempt to make it all come out right?

It's the musicians version of poetic license and a part of the folk process that bits of tunes are tweaked a little to suit the player, especially if there appears to be a short or long bar to sort out.  ;D
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

TomB

• BCC#, Cairden BC Mini and lots of PA's
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 01:20:39 PM »

Don't take the tunes on TheSession to be all correct, there are many mistakes all through the tune database. As a general rule, if you want to use a tune off TheSession, scroll down to 'comments' and read through, sometimes you may find a more suitable version further down.

Phil B

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 04:01:29 PM »

A lovely tune that I first heard played by John Bowe in the early 80,s without the fifth part that I believe was written by Tommy Potts.
If you are still tweaking how you play this tune I believe It would be worth  your while listening to Kevin Burke's interpretation of it. I think it is still on ytube found by searching Drunken Sailor Hornpipe

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 04:06:33 PM »

A great tune but I have to disagree with Roger - I reckon it sounds a lot better without accordion. ;) That's because for me it's really a fiddle tune and my definitive rendition is by Tommy Peoples on his rare 1977 "Master Irish Fiddle Player" record. And it sounds best in Gm (dorian), perhaps the moodiest of Irish fiddle keys.

Interestingly, O'Neill's 1001 Gems, in which the tune is printed, contains another 5-part hornpipe, The Groves, which is almost identical to The Drunken Sailor except that it is in G major. (BTW Phil B, all 5 parts are in O'Neill's - no. 948.)

I just had a quick crack at the tune on my C#/D and it's quite straightforward if I play it in A dorian (using the same fingering as Paddy O'B in the video, who is playing in G dorian on his B/C). But it just sounds too bland in A. I should make achieving speed and fluency in G dorian tunes my objective for 2017 (Dowd's Favourite, Star of Munster, and now this one)...  :||:

Thanks Roger for posting  :|glug

Phil B

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 04:16:56 PM »

(BTW Phil B, all 5 parts are in O'Neill's - no. 948.)
Thanks for that info Stiamh I will have to look that up

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 04:27:15 PM »

Lovely to hear that tune again.
I first heard in on Alistair Anderson's Concertina Workshop album, but later found a good version of it in O'Neill (the original "1001 Gems") and learned to play it in G minor on Anglo concertina.
It hadn't occurred to me even to try it on a melodeon...

PS Also to be found under the title The Tipsy Sailor
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 04:31:11 PM by Anahata »
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 04:35:07 PM »

...part of the folk process that bits of tunes are tweaked a little to suit the player...

That's the phrase I want to hear - folk process - thanks!

Don't take the tunes on TheSession to be all correct, there are many mistakes all through the
tune database....scroll down to 'comments' and read through, sometimes you may find a more
suitable version further down.

Yers. There are other versions further down in the comments. Ta.

In general, I've been a bit apprehensive about changing stuff when I find a 'mistake' because
I'm still a beginner with this music stuff. I must say though that I am starting to find 'mistakes',
(in a few sources), correcting them, and then realising that I was 'right'. Both encouraging and
confidence-building for me - not necessarily good for the folks who have to listen...

Thank you.

Roger
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 04:46:08 PM by lachenal74693 »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 04:55:25 PM »

Lovely to hear that tune again.
I first heard in on Alistair Anderson's Concertina Workshop album, but later found a good version of it in O'Neill (the original "1001 Gems") and learned to play it in G minor on Anglo concertina.
It hadn't occurred to me even to try it on a melodeon...

PS Also to be found under the title The Tipsy Sailor

I thought it was familiar, I've had The Concertina Workshop album for years, it's in there as The Tipsy Sailor. The PDF music book to go with the CD is a free download here and the tune is on page 27.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 06:25:44 PM »

I play it starting on the A on the G row of my DG Salterelle, with the L reed kicked in. It sounds pretty nice I think. But I agree with Stiamh ... It sounds better in Gm. I happened to play it on mandolin today (or should I say, hack through it) and it sits very well in Gm so I can see why it's a fiddle tune really. The album (The Fire Aflame) I mention has been in repeat play in my car over the years and I know everything note for note. I love the languid slightly drunken pace they manage to achieve in their version of the Hornpipe. The album also has a great version of the Rights of Man and a couple of cracking airs on the pipes. And Brian Keenan reading one of his Pomes
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal