Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for January 2017: Rue de Pres  (Read 10620 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
Tune of the Month for January 2017: Rue de Pres
« on: December 31, 2016, 08:07:21 PM »

Happy new year everyone; this month's clear winner is Stephane Durand's schottische.

With thanks to those on the poll thread, here's some abc

Code: [Select]
X:1
T:Rue des Prés
C:Stéphane Durand
M:4/4
L:1/8
R:Schottische
V:1 name=V1 sname=V1
V:2 namE=V2 sname=V2 transpose=-12
%%barnumbers 1
Q:1/4=140
K:G
V:1
B2G2 GBAG|B2F2 FBBd|c3B AGAB|B2A2A2GA|
B2G2 GBAG|B2F2 FBBd|c3B AGAB|1A6 GA:|2A3B ABcd||
|:eg e4 dc|eg e4 fe|d3e d2 Bd|G6 EF|
G2G2 GEGA|B2F2F2 Bd|c3 B AGAB|1A3 B ABcd:|2A6 GA|]
V:2
G2 EF GcBc|F2c2 AFGF|G3 G ABcd|d2 F4 BA|
G2 EF GBcB|F2c2 AFGF|G3 g ABcd|1d6 BA:|2d6 BA||
|:cdcB AGBA|cded cBdc|B3c B2 GF|G6 GA|
B2B2 dBGF|G2F2 D2 FG|E3 G ABcd|1d3 d cBAG:|2d6 AB|

...and a couple of decent versions of it...

https://youtu.be/8nrIZpiQt-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0R38-nufkY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceGXAb4qLLI&t=46s

Happy playing!

Clive

folkbluesnbeyond

• Respected Sage
    • Folkbluesnbeyond
Re: Tune of the Month for January 2017: Rue des Pres
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 08:26:48 AM »

Happy 2017

https://youtu.be/NAW_FqoiQ2I

Best wishes from Suffolk

Bill

Joan Kureczka

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 06:30:00 PM »

I was happy when this tune came up, because we were already very fond of it and had planned a recording. So, here's my debut post on the Melnet TOTM. Happy New Year! Excuse the mediocre sound quality -- this was just done with a pocket camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvP746npI4s
MAD: Oakwood Baffetti Super II, Loffet Pro, Oakwood 3-voice, Castagnari Sander, Salterelle Pastourelle II, Smythe "Flea," and a crazy blinged up Pokerwork

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 07:15:16 PM »

Like Arty's New Year's resolution, I feel it is time for me to get out some. Lots of work to be had, but I'm trying to get used to creating variations on the fly as part of the escaping the dots process. There are obvious weaknesses for me, in that my fingers lag behind my intentions, creating a woolly quality to the rhythm. But this is early days.
With all that preamble here is an unlisted version of Rue Des Pres, including noodling as I go.
I think that noodling should be kept to a private activity normally, but in the interest of Tune of the Month - here it is. I might decide to cement a variation or two, in which case I may rerecord it.
Excuses over.
Rue Des Pres
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Ellisteph

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 11:13:13 AM »

Like Arty's New Year's resolution, I feel it is time for me to get out some. Lots of work to be had, but I'm trying to get used to creating variations on the fly as part of the escaping the dots process. There are obvious weaknesses for me, in that my fingers lag behind my intentions, creating a woolly quality to the rhythm. But this is early days.
With all that preamble here is an unlisted version of Rue Des Pres, including noodling as I go.
I think that noodling should be kept to a private activity normally, but in the interest of Tune of the Month - here it is. I might decide to cement a variation or two, in which case I may rerecord it.
Excuses over.
Rue Des Pres
That's really interesting.I think this tune lends itself to variations and I wouldn't really agree that they should be kept private. I'm slightly puzzled that you're improvising whilst still looking at the music - is that so that you can still see the structure of the music? Personally, I don't feel I can include variations until I know the tune really well and the dots in front of me would be more of a distraction than an aid.
But then we're all different and need to do what works for us. Thanks for posting - I enjoyed it.
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

playandteach

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 11:28:32 AM »

I look at the music for the structure and the chords. And to jump back into the tune again. Glad you didn't object to the sharing of work in progress. Someone here did!  Oh well I guess we upload at the risk of censure or praise. Thanks for providing the balance.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 12:03:08 PM »

I think this shows the difference between those with a formal music background as opposed to those with a more basic knowledge from gained from playing box, as mine is.
Like Ellisteph, I need to really know a tune well before I can go off piste, and am quite amazed at an ability to work out structure and improvise on the hoof from the sheet music!
Just reminds me that we're a broad church here and that gives us a wonderful insight into various ways to play tunes.

p&t: thank you, I enjoyed your version, and your box sounds nice too!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

playandteach

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 12:08:34 PM »

Thanks, the real skill would be to be able to do it whilst keeping the style and rhythm. That's mainly not really knowing where the notes are (compared to doing it on a clarinet or piano for example). As DiatoSoldo explored in her video 'horrors' post, finding out that it isn't as successful as we'd hoped should be an opportunity to work on it!

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 02:07:02 PM »

I think it's good to compare people's approach and also learn from one another.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 06:57:51 PM »

I need to really know a tune well before I can go off piste, and am quite amazed at an ability to work out structure and improvise on the hoof from the sheet music!

I think the key to this is that experienced readers of music (especially if they also sing or play another instrument) can "hear" a tune their head when they see it on paper. Well enough, for example, to be able to recognise a tune immediately without having to play the notes to find out what it is. It's a basic skill that we all take for granted when reading text, which we can all do because we've had about a million hours of practice.
If you can do that, you can also see/hear in your head what the underlying chords are likely to be, and thus make up harmonies and variations.

The fiddle player in my ceilidh band has an amazing ability not only to play at sight (any classically trained musician can do that) but also make up harmonies the second or third time though, and then carry on playing the tune if you take the music away! I find that combination of sight reading ability and memory impressive because most musicians are good at either one or the other, but not both.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 07:40:23 PM »

Yes, 'experienced readers of music' is the key.
I read dots fairly often though not daily and when I do for a short length of time. I can see that if I had been involved in music in a more formal way and thereby read daily for long periods for band/orchestral work etc then it must become second nature and like reading text.
It only goes to prove the proverb 'practice makes perfect'.
Your fiddle player sounds like one of those people that you come across infrequently, but when they do their skills are incredible.
Ah well, back to practice.....
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
Re: Tune of the Month for January 2017: Rue de Pres
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 10:42:25 AM »

Right you lazy lot, like Lazarus, I have arisen from my shoulder injury and recorded this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0a5xZtJhBE

It's on a Castagnari Lilly in A/D (lightest box I've got) since I've still got a long way to go on the road to recovery, but it's a good start I think. Didn't know this one before, and haven't had much opportunity to practice it (can't play more than about 10 mins at the moment), so it's a little rough round the edges. But here we go....

playandteach

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2017, 10:59:28 AM »

Welcome back. Tune of the Month is a great motivator.

Baron Collins-Hill

• Regular debater
  • Maine, USA
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2017, 06:24:31 PM »

Here's my submission:

https://youtu.be/1ly0JdMpWYE

Thanks,
Baron
D/G/Acc Castagnari Big 18 (full Dutch reversals)
Mandolin & Tenor Guitarist: Velocipede
Free Online Mandolin Lessons: MandoLessons

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 07:54:09 PM »

Well if Clive can do it so musically with an injured shoulder, there's no excuse for not posting.....specially as it's French.

https://youtu.be/PhrI6GG8Zy8

« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 10:58:53 PM by Jackhumphreys »

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 08:09:44 PM »

Here's my submission:

Thanks,
Baron

Just listened to this after sending my simple version. Full of admiration for your arrangement and playing, Baron. Lovely use of different voices and interesting new harmonies with the notes squashed together plus the insistent pulsing. The box sounds really beautiful in this recording, listening on headphones. Who knew a DG could sound so deep and round in the bass?   Your sensitive playing has revealed hidden beauties in what I thought was just a simple dance tune.  Thank you.  I shall be listening and learning from your videos now.

Psuggmog Volbenz

• Respected Sage
    • musical whimsy
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 04:40:13 AM »

I need to really know a tune well before I can go off piste, and am quite amazed at an ability to work out structure and improvise on the hoof from the sheet music!

I think the key to this is that experienced readers of music (especially if they also sing or play another instrument) can "hear" a tune their head when they see it on paper. Well enough, for example, to be able to recognise a tune immediately without having to play the notes to find out what it is. It's a basic skill that we all take for granted when reading text, which we can all do because we've had about a million hours of practice.
If you can do that, you can also see/hear in your head what the underlying chords are likely to be, and thus make up harmonies and variations.

The fiddle player in my ceilidh band has an amazing ability not only to play at sight (any classically trained musician can do that) but also make up harmonies the second or third time though, and then carry on playing the tune if you take the music away! I find that combination of sight reading ability and memory impressive because most musicians are good at either one or the other, but not both.
Well said, i was just reading earlier posts and had not read your response yet, when I had the thought that when I look at a piece of sheet music, i can hear the music played in my head as I read it, then silently learn it by ear from myself if I want to retain it for long term retrivial. I enjoy watching youtube videos and then play along or improvise. There is an expression I like: "getting past the notes".  this is when a musican can interpret, emote, improvise etc., rather the play a robotic, rigid always the same response. It helps to have a firm grasp of one's instrument an thus not be struggling with the mechanics of playing the instrument. I love the point where a musical instrument becomes an extention of my expressive perception. During my first few hours of melodeon manipulation, I was very aware of the seeming nonergonomic hand position requred. Now it feels like a well formed glove to to each hand. With certain other instruments which I have played much longer, i can have a spontaneous, improvisational monologe or conversation as simply as talking to another person.
I'm squeezin' and they're wheezin': old junker boxes

Psuggmog Volbenz

• Respected Sage
    • musical whimsy
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2017, 04:52:27 AM »

Here's my submission:

Thanks,
Baron
I, also enjoyed your rendetion of this tune. Thanks for sharing with the group.
I'm squeezin' and they're wheezin': old junker boxes

TomBom

• Respected Sage
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 02:37:28 PM »

Jack, this is very nice. You inspired me to play it on a single row. Your second try has so much rhythm. I like the contrast to yesterday's smooth version. Don't delete that, please. It's so interesting to compare these two.

playandteach

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2017, 03:06:27 PM »

Is the bathroom chosen for acoustics or are you banished from living rooms? I'll have a proper listen later.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal