Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts on isomorphic layouts as melodeon players?  (Read 4523 times)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: Thoughts on isomorphic layouts as melodeon players?
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2017, 11:03:37 AM »

I believe you Chris, for three rows - it's push that's the problem.  But what about having four rows?  You can't keep a constant relationship for the 2 acc rows, on push, because you'd need 8 extra buttons, per group of three on the 2 diatonic rows, but the 'slippage' by one button on each octave should be acceptable, because that's what you get on pull anyway (and it's a 4-button repeat on my acc row, for both push and pull).

It would seem to me unwise, naive even, to extend a melodeon layout to four rows, though I imagine it has been done(?) The thing would weigh a ton and would mitigate  against one of the great pleasures of the box which is dropping onto 1 row technique, when that's right (some might cry "always) ;)

I learned "off row" playing in France. Basically I drop to pull only and have a number of practiced tracks. I play it as a CBA. So "pull only" doesn't matter much. All the blues stuff I like seems to work on that way, though some eg Bb blues/ myxolydian need that b7=Ab. It is on same button as Bb, so gets a little flick. Works, but some runs of notes don't play through.

I'm cool on that, it becomes "your sound" and we could say the same of 1 row play. Constraints can be good?  Yes, with a 4th row you could circumnavigate all that, at the expense of learning more scales, but go to such effort when you could do it all on CBA  with … essentially six fingerings to cover diatonic, harmonic and melodic minor, blues scale and the 2 symmetric scales? Virtually all the other scales in use are modes of those. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 11:06:25 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Chris Brimley

Re: Thoughts on isomorphic layouts as melodeon players?
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2017, 12:06:39 PM »

The thing would weigh a ton and would mitigate  against one of the great pleasures of the box which is dropping onto 1 row technique, when that's right (some might cry "always) ;)

I don't really agree with this - surely RH weight doesn't need to increase LH weight, which is what affects speed?

The other comment I'd make is that IMO a bisonoric chromatic RH has advantages over a (one-way-or-the another) chromatic RH - it allows more accompaniment combinations, better playing dynamics, and better bellows control.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal