Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clem 12 plays Mazurka a Leonor  (Read 2059 times)

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
Clem 12 plays Mazurka a Leonor
« on: January 13, 2017, 12:55:55 PM »

In case you're interested to hear my new box by Clement Guais:  3 voice in CF  with Binci reeds. It's now got all the automatic registers both ends, just like a Handry....though I never seem to need the bass registers.
Plus a very nice tune from Jamie Huddlestone.
https://youtu.be/wKkZkEhrTsA

It needs only the slightest bellows movements,  so playing feels very relaxed. The Low reeds are really sonorous. The precise and delicate mechanics make faster tunes much easier to play than on my previous box.

arty

Re: Clem 12 plays Mazurka a Leonor
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 01:30:14 PM »

Wow! That sounds beautiful, you must be very pleased 😊
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Roger Howard

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 01:45:33 PM »

That's a lovely sound - well suited to both the tune and the way you play. I do hope you enjoy a beautiful instrument.  (:)

Roger
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 02:16:34 PM »

Thanks.  Real "spread it on toast, and eat it" stuff ;)  I first encountered Clement's kit at Ch.d'Ars a few years back, (Bob Ellis has bought one too).  I think he's going to be one of the great luthiers.
  _       _    _      _ 

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 10:16:18 PM »

That is absolutely lovely.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 09:33:00 AM »

Lovely box and a beautiful version of the tune! So, I'm no longer the only owner of a Clem 12 in Britain. Yours has one or two improvements since he made mine three years ago, including the nice scroll-work just inside the melody buttons.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 11:34:44 AM »

That does sound very nice, very rich and full.
Congratulations on a lovely box, and to hear it being played so well.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Fangy

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 11:52:46 PM »

This one arrived in April 2016 - a 2 voice GC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMsZVk5kPZk

playandteach

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 12:37:38 AM »

I'd better start saving.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 12:38:51 AM »

You won't be disappointed - the best box I have ever owned!
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

arty

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 06:47:22 AM »

This one arrived in April 2016 - a 2 voice GC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMsZVk5kPZk

Having had yours for several months, what is your verdict on this box Fangy? Lovely video by the way!

I must admit to being very struck by the sound of Jack's box, it seems to be absolutely gorgeous.

One hour on the ferry and less than two hours drive for me....might be very tempted to pay Monsieur Guais a visit in the spring!

Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 10:14:37 AM »

Clément was very welcoming when I visited him, but he doesn't speak any English, so be prepared to discuss your requirements in French.

arty

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 10:27:50 AM »

Thanks for the advice Bob. I used to live in Brittany and, although my French is a bit rusty, I think I will get by. I thought it would be a nice thing to do while on holiday and I have been thinking of a good quality two and a half row box with twelve basses. We'll see!  (:)

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 02:12:32 PM »

Thanks for the appreciations, guys and encouragements about my new box.  Now, don't get carried away though. All boxes have their pros and cons. This one has a wonderful "basson" register...and the mechanics are marvelous.  But I'm missing the very special singing quality from  my Loffet pro 2.6, with its Castagnari-identical reeds and castagnari-style reed blocks,  especially the ML.  (Ivor Hyde thought they WERE castagnari blocks) The Guais is much reedier in tone...so I'll need to learn how to make it sound as good for my belgian mazurkas. 
Maybe I need to make the MM a trifle wetter.

And then, on Saturday I had a quick play of Marcus Scott's box, a GC Handry unusually made in Wenge.  This really dense wood seems to make the sound much louder and clearer than the usual Cherry or Walnut,  so  Marcus said, having tried the others. It seemed to fill the big room more easily than my Guais. I was very impressed with this sound, where other Handrys had disappointed me.  Not really apparent in this yt,  but you get to hear Marcus.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5EQMgF2HrS2iuG6Z8Ko8Tg

So, as usual,  I am having difficulties in coping with change after becoming very familiar with the Loffet.....same with houses and other things. But I'm committed to sticking with this box now and getting the best out of it.

I will be selling the Loffet, as soon as I get round to making a video etc...

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 02:31:16 PM »

In case you're interested to hear my new box by Clement Guais:  3 voice in CF  with Binci reeds. It's now got all the automatic registers both ends, just like a Handry....though I never seem to need the bass registers.
Plus a very nice tune from Jamie Huddlestone.
https://youtu.be/wKkZkEhrTsA

It needs only the slightest bellows movements,  so playing feels very relaxed. The Low reeds are really sonorous. The precise and delicate mechanics make faster tunes much easier to play than on my previous box.

Anyone got the dots (or ABC) for that mazurka?
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 04:44:34 PM »

We each ear sounds differently, so I can accept that you are not completely convinced by the sound of your Clem 12, Jack. I fell in love with the sound when I heard Clément play Zonzon on his Clem 12 and I was not disappointed when mine arrived. To me, the sound is quintessentially French, which was what I wanted. I am particularly enamoured of the three-voice and bandoneon tunings.

I hope you grow to love yours as much as I love mine. It has finally cured me of MAD...then again, it would be nice to have one in Bb/Eb...hmmm?

playandteach

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 04:59:25 PM »

Just out of interest, is it just the reeds that make the sound and response? In other words, if I were to get new reed blocks for my Serafini and put in Binci reeds for example, would that sound like the Guais? I do like my Serafini hugely, but I feel that I have to coax the sound out a bit.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 05:08:28 PM »

Mainly the reeds, but not entirely. Other factors are the design of the reed blocks - size and shape of reed chambers, size and shape of reed block vents, pallet lift, placement of reed blocks inside the case, size of the case in relation to the reed blocks, proportion of open area in the grill, distance from grill to pallet board, shape of grill - flat or curved etc ...
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 06:23:46 PM »

Quote from: brianread link=topic=19923.msg241109#msg241109 [/quote

Anyone got the dots (or ABC) for that mazurka?

Here's a photo of my notebook in G, if it helps. But this has diverged from Jamie's. Best ask him (fb or yt) for the proper version. The coloured notes are optional RH harmonies. The rhythm has swung quavers, not as written. Best of luck.  That A# bit is tricky, as a push note requiring a pull chord on my box.
V means push and   ^  means pull, when reminder needed.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 06:27:16 PM by Jackhumphreys »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal