Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A useful tip....maybe!  (Read 7875 times)

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
Re: A useful tip....maybe!
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2009, 09:33:58 PM »

......more organic ending.

Sticky up legs are pants!  :o

... or legs up sticky pants?  Huh?

I see what you mean by 'organic ending'  ....  ;D :P ;D
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2009, 10:34:37 PM »

Apologies. I got carried away in the heat of the moment.
Please excuse my ejaculation. It was premature, I will remember to lift my leg next time.  :-*
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2009, 12:06:38 AM »

It's easy to shout or grunt something like "ey-up" near the end of the tune.

"Ey-up"?!?  Now we know the truth, Rees! That Welsh accent is just a cunning disguise. In reality, you're a closet Yorkshireman!  :o
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2009, 01:28:29 AM »

There are some boring Morris tunes, of course, Shepherd's Hay springs to mind (except the Fieldtown version, which I love). There are however some cracking tunes there as well. It's just like any other collection of tunes. I can't say that I've ever found them boring to play for dance though, possibly because I've been concentrating on providing a decent tune for the dancers too much :P
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

LeFonque

• Good talker
  • Loffet 3 voice, Loffet Pro 2+
    • Hupomenos
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2009, 03:48:17 AM »

This is interesting. I'm usually the picture of concentration when playing - but when out Morrising last night during the playing of 'Valentine' I was having a little bit of a chat with another of the musicians and I realised afterwards that I'd been playing it almost on 'automatic'. This leads me to believe that not consciously thinking about what I'm doing might actually be a better way to play. Brainless melodeon! Works for me.
AL
I find this to be true in most areas of my life!
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it.
Karl Marx

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2009, 10:31:32 AM »

So, I suddenly found myself saying that I was going to balance a stick on my chin, with a plate-thing perched on top of it, all whilst playing my Giordy.  Pretty soon after blurting that out I realised I had no idea whether I could actually do both at the same time, so was pleasantly surprised to find that it worked first time. 
So when will the video of this be on youtube?

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2009, 10:45:26 AM »

There are some boring Morris tunes, of course, Shepherd's Hay springs to mind (except the Fieldtown version, which I love).

All I can think is that you can't be playing them properly either  >:E

HallelujahAl

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2009, 06:57:21 PM »

Jeez Al ...you can talk and play.....

I think having to play and sing at the same has enabled me to be able to do this. I led a service with my c/f erica this afternoon, and I noticed that as long as I have a copy of the words somewhere that I can catch sight of every now and then (so I don't have to rely on memory alone) then I'm fine. I don't need to see the music as well, that would throw me!
AL
btw there are some really boring hymns as well (nothing to do with my playing) - so I don't pick 'em!

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2009, 07:16:05 PM »

So, I suddenly found myself saying that I was going to balance a stick on my chin, with a plate-thing perched on top of it, all whilst playing my Giordy.  Pretty soon after blurting that out I realised I had no idea whether I could actually do both at the same time, so was pleasantly surprised to find that it worked first time. 

I'm not sure that the balance trick itself would make particularly interesting viewing on its own - I think I'd need to come up with something else to make it worth doing.
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2009, 07:17:40 PM »

I'm not sure that the balance trick itself would make particularly interesting viewing on its own - I think I'd need to come up with something else to make it worth doing.
You could set it on fire?

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2009, 07:20:24 PM »

What, the Giordy?  I accept that some people (neighbours, perhaps..) might think this a great idea, I'm not sure I'd be so keen.
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2009, 11:12:51 PM »

There are some boring Morris tunes, of course, Shepherd's Hay springs to mind (except the Fieldtown version, which I love).

All I can think is that you can't be playing them properly either  >:E

You may be right there, but I've played Shepherd's Hay too many times. I love Morris Tunes, let me make it clear, but there are some that are not quite as good as the rest, just as there are in any other collection of tunes.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2009, 11:37:21 PM »

Mind, "T'Owd Lass o' Dallogill", used in the North Skelton Longsword dance is pretty boring, at least during practice when you can't play around with the emphases. It is certainly the most boring one I play. I don't mind Shepherd's Hey, because the chord structure offers much opportunity for variations.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal