Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shoulder/Neck Pain  (Read 9079 times)

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
Re: Shoulder/Neck Pain
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2018, 01:47:58 PM »

I have recently bought a Wenger Nota chair.

https://www.wengercorp.com/chairs/nota-standard-chair.php

Which has transformed my seated posture.  It is designed and made in the USA, but there is an importer and distributor near Tonbridge Wells.  As you will see from this link, they have some available at a considerable discount.

https://www.blackcatmusic.co.uk/clearance-items.html

I regret to say that although my comfort and ease of practice have been improved any improvement in performance is almost undetectable.☹️

Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2018, 02:18:05 PM »

I have recently bought a Wenger Nota chair.

https://www.wengercorp.com/chairs/nota-standard-chair.php

Which has transformed my seated posture.  It is designed and made in the USA, but there is an importer and distributor near Tonbridge Wells.  As you will see from this link, they have some available at a considerable discount.

https://www.blackcatmusic.co.uk/clearance-items.html

I regret to say that although my comfort and ease of practice have been improved any improvement in performance is almost undetectable.☹️

I use these:  https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70404875/
Mine is the taller 29" model.  They were selling for $12 at the time. 

Folds for transport, great for the back.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 12:43:07 PM by Dick Rees »
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2018, 02:56:45 PM »

Mmmmmm? It's only tested to 100kgs! One or two of us are a touch heavier than that, Dick.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2018, 05:30:58 PM »

Mmmmmm? It's only tested to 100kgs! One or two of us are a touch heavier than that, Dick.

That struck me too, especially if you have a rather weighty instrument.  Not to mention a large accordion.😉
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2018, 06:12:27 PM »

That struck me too, especially if you have a rather weighty instrument.  Not to mention a large accordion.😉

For $5 more you can get the "beefed up" model which is 29" tall and handles 110 kilos.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 12:47:02 PM by Dick Rees »
...Thelonius Monk

...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2018, 06:36:19 PM »

Chris, the Wenger chair is very interesting.  I often have wondered if a chair was available that had a narrower back but regular width seat.  Local U has some and am going to ass-test this week.  Not sure which model. Thanks!
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2018, 07:35:04 PM »

I used to be, but I had to lose some weight before a knee replacement a couple of years ago, and I'm delighted to say I've managed to avoid putting it back on. A steady 82Kg for the last 23 months - result!

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2018, 08:02:17 PM »

I used to be, but I had to lose some weight before a knee replacement a couple of years ago, and I'm delighted to say I've managed to avoid putting it back on. A steady 82Kg for the last 23 months - result!

Graham

Congrats!  I have had great luck since cutting out wheat bread and opting for crisp rye flatbread for my ham and cheese snacks.
...Thelonius Monk

...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

george garside

« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2018, 08:35:27 PM »

apologies for furthering thread drift but I have lost over 30 lbs in 6 months by following the  Scandinavian Belly Fat programme by Berit Nordstrand.  not so much  diet but a change in eating on a long term basis . Book available on amazon etc'

Back on topic  whilst I have arthritis in my right shoulder it is not exacerbated by playing boxes be it a Lilly or a 96 bass hohner gaelic..  This may be because I sit or stand in an upright position with shoulders well back as 'on parade'.  Also the weight of the instrument is equally distributed between shoulders by using 2 carefully adjusted straps.

Many  players seem to play with a 'forward droop' stance which will put more pull &strain on the shoulder  which can also be compounded by bodily twisting about   if using a single longish strap and waving the bellows about all over the place.  The 'on parade' or standing to attendtion  with shoulders back puts the weight of the box  down towards the spine (or arse if you want it to go further!)  with absolutely no forward 'pull' on the shoulder as occurs if playing with the droops.

As to what to sit on  a normal straight back 'dining' chair is just fine.

many years ago my doctor sent me to a physiotherapist because of shoulder neck pain - she couldn't work out what was causing it   and the treatment didn't help' I asked her if it could be anything to do with box playing but she didn't understand what I was getting  t.  So for the next session I too a 96 bass box and demonstrated the playing thereof.  She swiftly saw the cause of the problem and recommended what I have written above.  I was around 50 at he time. NOw at 76  and playing  very regularly I still don't get shoulder/neck pain even after a couple of hours of playing,

Hope this os of some help to somebody?

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2018, 08:47:33 PM »

George...

I find the seat height to be most critical for my lower back.  My chiropractor told me "no cushions or couches", just a good solid seat.  Being almost 6'2", I find the average dining room chair to be about 2" too short, causing my back to lock up when rising from the chair.  I have made prosthetic "body shims" out of 2" thick rigid pink foam insulating board for "my" chairs in the house and can easily fit one into my skweezbox case for a bit of insurance when going out to play.

It's amazing what a difference a couple of inches can make in changing the angle of your spine and hips when seated.  As to the diet thing, my acronym is cut out the C.R.A.P. 

Concentrated
Refined
And
Processed

Good health, good tunes and good fellowship through the holidays and beyond!
...Thelonius Monk

...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2018, 07:53:05 AM »

Interesting stuff.
My mother in law came to stay a few years back and as a very elderly lady, we bought a shower stool for her.
It is a simple stool plastic top/aluminium legs that has adjustable legs. Push in the button, shove up/pull down the leg and it moves accordingly.
I've taken it over, adjusted it to the right height and most of my practice is done sat on this.
My two shoulder straps are adjusted to give maximum comfort at this height. It now fels like the best set-up for me when playing.

I concur with Dick in one of his recommendations. In the past if I have tweaked any muscle in my shoulder or back, I've got a good osteopath who have worked their magic, often with a good massage to pull out all the muscles knotted after years of mis-treating my frame. It's worth investing some money to keep the frame going.
my tuppence.....
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

george garside

« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2018, 09:58:21 AM »

two well padded wide shoulder straps can help to spread the load rather than 'digging in' to one bit of the shulder.  I use two and a half inch on small 2 rows and three and a half inch on3 row gaelic.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2018, 08:45:23 AM »

I have had all the pains mentioned here started doing burpies and its died out..
I do feel a sore left shoulder while playing fast bass but thats the tension while excitement that im keeping up...

How to do a burpie: https://youtu.be/JZQA08SlJnM
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2018, 10:15:04 AM »

That's my new year's resolution sorted...fifty of those first thing every morning!

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2018, 10:31:33 AM »

Pearce, you should be on the telly with cracks like that!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2018, 02:09:35 PM »

She seems to be making little chuffing sounds rather than burping.

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #56 on: December 25, 2018, 02:33:12 AM »

That's my new year's resolution sorted...fifty of those first thing every morning!
I've been able to reach the 60 a day... just start light my first instructor drove me to 40 all at once but it was brutal to the body.. so I went back solo and start with 5 a day, then slowly 10, 20, 30, 40 i'm up to 45... i don't mind skipping a day or two if Knees or back aches :D
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2018, 02:36:01 AM »

She seems to be making little chuffing sounds rather than burping.
i shall say I don't do the jump after getting up (preventing knee pains here) for a nearly 300 pounder :D.. I chose her video for she doesn't lower her body as much as I was at the beginning causing some calvs pain instead slightly lower the body and then shoot the legs back ;)

Peter Morris

« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2019, 08:07:42 PM »

Having a bad left arm has meant I had to move on from the "cool" melodeon playing of one strap when playing for Morris standing up, now I use two straps. Just had the op on the left shoulder, turned out the bone had grown so it impinged on the tendon, hence the pain when moving the arm, fascinating op I could watch it on a screen!!!
But when sitting down to play I now have all the weight of the box taken on the thighs and so now use just one strap again, well when I can get playing again.

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2019, 08:10:25 PM »

Having a bad left arm has meant I had to move on from the "cool" melodeon playing of one strap when playing for Morris standing up, now I use two straps. Just had the op on the left shoulder, turned out the bone had grown so it impinged on the tendon, hence the pain when moving the arm, fascinating op I could watch it on a screen!!!
But when sitting down to play I now have all the weight of the box taken on the thighs and so now use just one strap again, well when I can get playing again.

Best wishes for a full recovery!  Try not to push the river...
...Thelonius Monk

...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal