Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How bad do I have MAD?  (Read 4937 times)

Melissa Sinclair

• Regular debater
  • Got my first squeeze... box(es)
    • Melissa's Melodeons
How bad do I have MAD?
« on: January 23, 2017, 01:31:39 AM »

I just bought a second melodeon and I don't even have my first one yet! There was a cheap Hohner Liliput on ebay. I figured for that price, even if needing significant work, it would still be a good value, I hope. I don't even know what key it's in!

I really want to try a club system as I think that might be easier for me. We'll see? Eek!
Plunking on my 1st box: Vintage burl Hohner in GC,  a lonely Hohner Liliput in CF, and a borrowed Streb to have a "silent Melodeon" and a melodeon of many keys!

Huw Adamson

• Good talker
Re: How bad do I have MAD?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 01:51:07 AM »

How much did you get it for? Can we see the original listing?
(I don't have enough money for my own purchases so have to rely on others' for the excitement of getting a bargain)  (:)
And the sharks they played melodeon

Melissa Sinclair

• Regular debater
    • Melissa's Melodeons
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 02:15:24 AM »

How much did you get it for? Can we see the original listing?
(I don't have enough money for my own purchases so have to rely on others' for the excitement of getting a bargain)  (:)

It's here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Hohner-Liliput-Small-Accordian-with-Case-1940-039-s-/391677989243?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=pHNPuRWvg7TpI1P8MaOZ7ijHwlg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
Plunking on my 1st box: Vintage burl Hohner in GC,  a lonely Hohner Liliput in CF, and a borrowed Streb to have a "silent Melodeon" and a melodeon of many keys!

Walleye

• Good talker
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 02:36:20 AM »

Sorry, you are affected (infected?). While there is no known cure a vaccine is currently being tested that is said to somewhat limit the number of acquisitions. Most poor souls find themselves regularly looking at other keys, other sizes, other makers, other music, other tunes, other abc notations, other mp3's, other postings and other discussions about where to find more and more....until the inevitable happens-
Yet another melodeon!

Baron Collins-Hill

• Regular debater
  • Maine, USA
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 03:13:20 AM »

That does look like a good deal! I probably would have been very tempted had I seen it myself! Welcome to the wonderful world of boxes!

Thanks,
Baron
D/G/Acc Castagnari Big 18 (full Dutch reversals)
Mandolin & Tenor Guitarist: Velocipede
Free Online Mandolin Lessons: MandoLessons

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 07:32:27 AM »

Yes, looks like you've done well. I bought a bunch of pups to start with, so you're one up on me. Shows the power of research. If you expect a full overhaul then anything else is a pleasant surprise.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 07:46:21 AM »

Impulse buying of a second melodeon before you have received your first!  This is the most serious form of the acute disease. It is essential that you close your ebay account immediately and seek professional help. 😱😱
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

tekyinblack

• Good talker
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 08:48:43 AM »

Liliputs are great boxes and will give you plenty of exercise! They fit in backpacks and suitcases easily so there's no excuse for not taking it places, took mine all round Australia. It will need work, but hang on to it because if you let it go you will regret it!
Castagnari Sander D/G, Hohner Club III D/G, Hohner Liliput Eb/Bb, Hohner Club II C/F

Dazbo

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Danger MAD Here!
    • My YouTube Channel for melodeons, morris and folk in general
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 12:50:28 PM »

Impulse buying of a second melodeon before you have received your first!  This is the most serious form of the acute disease. It is essential that you close your ebay account immediately and seek professional help.

And send the lilliput to me, here in England.  It's the only cure :||:
Ciao Bellow

Darren

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 12:56:57 PM »

Liliputs are fabulous boxes, I actually ended up with three at one point last year, sort of accidentally. I already had a D/G and a Bb/Eb (plus C/F Preciosa for a bit of variety) when a red Bb/Eb came up for sale.  No one really needs two Bb/Eb Liliputs, luckily I found a home for the purple one with a fellow MAD sufferer on this forum.

Happy Liliputting :)
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Melissa Sinclair

• Regular debater
    • Melissa's Melodeons
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 12:58:51 PM »

Impulse buying of a second melodeon before you have received your first!  This is the most serious form of the acute disease. It is essential that you close your ebay account immediately and seek professional help. 😱😱

Wasn't impulse and I have no plans of any more until I learn and have some proficiency. Since there is nowhere to go to try these less than 3 hours drive and even those choices are limited and very pricey, this is the only way to try them out. And buying used and refurbished is still significantly cheaper than buying a new one for all except those made in China which would sell for nothing if I find this isn't for me.

Club style appealed to me from the beginning. Now I can test that out.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 01:24:15 PM »

Wasn't impulse and I have no plans of any more

Denial as well! ;)  That's really bad.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 01:41:01 PM »

;D
Melissa, you're fitting in well here!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Melissa Sinclair

• Regular debater
    • Melissa's Melodeons
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 02:07:36 PM »

You all are making me smile. I got my son's SUPER nasty cold. It came in with a bang last night. I started feeling hugely tired and leaden while at the grocery store last night. Came home and I had a low grade fever. My eyes hurt, my teeth hurt, my ears hurt... you get the drift. I work with children a lot and have been exposed to a LOT of their bugs the past couple weeks - I'll gladly take this cold over the stomach thing going around! No fever this morning.

Scott sent me progress pictures of the one he is working on for me and I asked if I could send this new one to him too to add to the queue.  ;D

Working from home today and doing little so that I can rest up a bit - just doing emails and such, so I'll listen to some more music and this site for best ways to approach learning. I'll probably have questions later.

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 02:33:08 PM »

Hi you have forced me in by the lilly buy. I have a collection of 40 restored Hohner Liliputs so you have some way to go. That was the right price however you will need to overhaul it especially in regard to your bleeding ears. It will be a club system which is no big deal as only one button goes and it is on the other row. It will originally have been very wet and still will. Unless you are very lucky it will sound quite out of tune and will have groans and wheezes and make ears bleed. It will need a full rewax new valves and retuning. (At this point you could declub and will need to tune up to modern Pitch.) Dont be dispondant it can be done, you need a professional at the right price.If anything rattles its the reed fallen out inside and this might happen quite quickly in the post to you depending on the contition but just gently open it up and put them back.Dont start novice reed work on a lilliy as its very hard to replace the reeds you need to file the new ones.It is the best box ever made and most are structurally very soundwith good bellows they hold the age very well. I will stop there you can always sell it on.Many thanks I hope the march went well.
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

Melissa Sinclair

• Regular debater
    • Melissa's Melodeons
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 02:48:13 PM »

Hi you have forced me in by the lilly buy. I have a collection of 40 restored Hohner Liliputs so you have some way to go. That was the right price however you will need to overhaul it especially in regard to your bleeding ears. It will be a club system which is no big deal as only one button goes and it is on the other row. It will originally have been very wet and still will. Unless you are very lucky it will sound quite out of tune and will have groans and wheezes and make ears bleed. It will need a full rewax new valves and retuning. (At this point you could declub and will need to tune up to modern Pitch.) Dont be dispondant it can be done, you need a professional at the right price.If anything rattles its the reed fallen out inside and this might happen quite quickly in the post to you depending on the contition but just gently open it up and put them back.Dont start novice reed work on a lilliy as its very hard to replace the reeds you need to file the new ones.It is the best box ever made and most are structurally very soundwith good bellows they hold the age very well. I will stop there you can always sell it on.Many thanks I hope the march went well.

I am hoping to have it sent directly to Scott. He has refurbished these before, and yes, they tend to be wetter, which I will try to have him tone that done - it doesn't need to be super dry, but not as dissonant as they were originally made.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 02:54:51 PM »

Mark has seriously infected me and I have an appointment with my wife (SWMBO) to discuss finances. I muttered something about a 70th birthday present ... Just when I thought I was cured!

Chris B.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

hickory-wind

• Lives in NY USA near the Erie Canal
    • Bellingers' Button Boxes
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 03:47:03 PM »

I am hoping to have it sent directly to Scott. He has refurbished these before, and yes, they tend to be wetter, which I will try to have him tone that done - it doesn't need to be super dry, but not as dissonant as they were originally made.

You can always have accordion purchases sent directly to me:) I wish everyone did that!

Good price on the box you bought. It slipped through my net...

Another option if you don't want to wait is to trade it in on the Liliput I have for sale and you can start squeezing immediately. It is in the keys of CF and has been dried out some from the standard Hohner wetness so much more pleasant tremolo (to my biased ears). I have replaced all the bass and chord valves with modern plastic film valves since they are large and were very curled. But, I found the leather treble valves to be in such good condition that I just replaced the few that needed it. I did remove, inspect, repair or replace as needed, rewax and tune all 140 reeds in the entire instrument. It plays nicely and is very compact. I have partially de-clubbed it meaning I have changed the gleighton note back to normal but left the basses in the club configuration. If you prefer, I can change the gleighton back before shipping.

The instrument can be viewed at http://bellingersbuttonboxes.com/product/hohner-liliput-in-cf/ and the listing includes a link to a Youtube demo video as shown here: https://youtu.be/NSs9JDQPvNM

The demo shows how the tremolo is milder than standard Hohner.

Scott

too many boxes...please buy one, or two, or

Melissa Sinclair

• Regular debater
    • Melissa's Melodeons
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 04:01:59 PM »

Mark has seriously infected me and I have an appointment with my wife (SWMBO) to discuss finances. I muttered something about a 70th birthday present ... Just when I thought I was cured!

Chris B.

Sorry to hear that. My husband and I don't do gifts for holidays and birthdays and our anniversary so that we can get the things we really want and when we want them. We had set a budget for this year. (I am within that). I also have a few things I am planning to sell so that if I need more budget, I will have it. We did a major purge of belongings and donated TONS, but a few things I want to get some money out of.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal