Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How bad do I have MAD?  (Read 4938 times)

Melissa Sinclair

• Regular debater
  • Got my first squeeze... box(es)
    • Melissa's Melodeons
Re: How bad do I have MAD?
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2017, 05:07:25 PM »

I am hoping to have it sent directly to Scott. He has refurbished these before, and yes, they tend to be wetter, which I will try to have him tone that done - it doesn't need to be super dry, but not as dissonant as they were originally made.

You can always have accordion purchases sent directly to me:) I wish everyone did that!

Good price on the box you bought. It slipped through my net...

Another option if you don't want to wait is to trade it in on the Liliput I have for sale and you can start squeezing immediately. It is in the keys of CF and has been dried out some from the standard Hohner wetness so much more pleasant tremolo (to my biased ears). I have replaced all the bass and chord valves with modern plastic film valves since they are large and were very curled. But, I found the leather treble valves to be in such good condition that I just replaced the few that needed it. I did remove, inspect, repair or replace as needed, rewax and tune all 140 reeds in the entire instrument. It plays nicely and is very compact. I have partially de-clubbed it meaning I have changed the gleighton note back to normal but left the basses in the club configuration. If you prefer, I can change the gleighton back before shipping.

The instrument can be viewed at http://bellingersbuttonboxes.com/product/hohner-liliput-in-cf/ and the listing includes a link to a Youtube demo video as shown here: https://youtu.be/NSs9JDQPvNM

The demo shows how the tremolo is milder than standard Hohner.

Scott

That one you have is nice too. I will email you. I am thinking though if it's in Bb/Eb, I might prefer that over CF. And I would want it clubbed.... but I'll email. (home sick today).
Plunking on my 1st box: Vintage burl Hohner in GC,  a lonely Hohner Liliput in CF, and a borrowed Streb to have a "silent Melodeon" and a melodeon of many keys!

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2017, 08:44:59 PM »

Shame you wont hear it before as well as after to really appreciate the work.You can have it tuned as dry as you like. Mike Rowbothan has various sound files on his site of various tunings I recall.The bellinger box looks good and priced.You might find a declubed better if you are starting and play up and down to start the club is a cross row style but you will have both styles on a club but restricted to one key for one row. I like the club and brought a Fratton flat box still in club semi swing and nice. The last two boxes still at the tuners are staying club but not much interest in club in UK.You will of course need to have one in both keys if truely MAD . Do enjoy and regular practice min one hour a day and you will start to feel like a melodeon player after a year.(tough love) The lilliput is highly portable so you can take it anywhere.Stick with it and enjoy.
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

Melissa Sinclair

• Regular debater
    • Melissa's Melodeons
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2017, 09:27:54 PM »

Shame you wont hear it before as well as after to really appreciate the work.You can have it tuned as dry as you like. Mike Rowbothan has various sound files on his site of various tunings I recall.The bellinger box looks good and priced.You might find a declubed better if you are starting and play up and down to start the club is a cross row style but you will have both styles on a club but restricted to one key for one row. I like the club and brought a Fratton flat box still in club semi swing and nice. The last two boxes still at the tuners are staying club but not much interest in club in UK.You will of course need to have one in both keys if truely MAD . Do enjoy and regular practice min one hour a day and you will start to feel like a melodeon player after a year.(tough love) The lilliput is highly portable so you can take it anywhere.Stick with it and enjoy.

I couldn't quite follow if you felt it better to have it declubbed or not (My head is a bit foggy today).

My first box with Scott is a GC. So, this would be different if CF or Bb/Eb. I would prefer the latter. The lower the better, IMO as I wouldn't ever be playing in an ensemble - at most as a sing-along somewhere.

ETA: I can have Scott  video the before and after too... As I wouldn't be able to truly test it meaningfully anyway it just makes sense to send it directly to him - saves on postage and more chance of damage too. I KNOW it's going to need work!

« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 09:51:49 PM by Melissa Sinclair »
Plunking on my 1st box: Vintage burl Hohner in GC,  a lonely Hohner Liliput in CF, and a borrowed Streb to have a "silent Melodeon" and a melodeon of many keys!

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2017, 10:51:19 PM »

Welcome to the "club", Melissa, in more ways than one   :D

A sound and wise purchase imho.

I had to grin at the eBay description though, and wonder why many sellers have a problem with the word "bellows". So many variations abound in sale listings:  bellow, belows, bellowers, billows, belly, concertina part, squeezy bits, etc. Is bellows such an archaic word that it has disappeared from common usage?

I think that this is the first time I've seen the word "ballast" used though. I sincerely hope that your Liliput has not been filled with sand, stones, water or other substance, to enable playing it in a stable and upright position....   >:E

Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Melissa Sinclair

• Regular debater
    • Melissa's Melodeons
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 11:58:35 PM »

Welcome to the "club", Melissa, in more ways than one   :D

A sound and wise purchase imho.

I had to grin at the eBay description though, and wonder why many sellers have a problem with the word "bellows". So many variations abound in sale listings:  bellow, belows, bellowers, billows, belly, concertina part, squeezy bits, etc. Is bellows such an archaic word that it has disappeared from common usage?

I think that this is the first time I've seen the word "ballast" used though. I sincerely hope that your Liliput has not been filled with sand, stones, water or other substance, to enable playing it in a stable and upright position....   >:E

Therre was so many wrong this with that listing... Starting with it saying accordian in the title listing, but accordion and accordian used later...  But for $149 usd, it is worth the risk.  If it turns out to be in terrible condition, maybe it can be used for parts. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 12:16:21 AM by Melissa Sinclair »

Guy

• Not quite enough melodeons....
    • Cats Claw
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2017, 12:01:05 AM »

Wasn't impulse and I have no plans of any more

Denial as well! ;)  That's really bad.

Oh, you've barely started. The correct answer to the question "How many melodeons do you have?" is "Nearly enough. One more will do..."
Guy, in South Wales

Cats Claw, http://www.cats-claw.co.uk

hickory-wind

• Lives in NY USA near the Erie Canal
    • Bellingers' Button Boxes
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2017, 12:08:42 AM »

I HAVE found ballast-in the bellows. I opened up one old Hohner and found SAND between the pallet and the reeds after removing the treble reedblocks! I'm not kidding(pictures 1 & 2).

How about some melnet conjecturation on how that occurred.

I also found and old Black & Blond where the air button pallet had come off and a family of mice took up residence in the nice cozy interior (pic 3).

Another one for the museum...

Scott

BellingersButtonBoxes.com
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 12:22:38 AM by hickory-wind »
too many boxes...please buy one, or two, or

Melissa Sinclair

• Regular debater
    • Melissa's Melodeons
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2017, 12:20:54 AM »

I HAVE found ballast-in the bellows. I opened up one old Hohner and found SAND between the pallet and the reeds after removing the treble reedblocks! I'm not kidding(pictures 1 & 2).

I also found and old Black & Blond where the air button pallet had come off and a mouse family took up residence in the nice cozy interior (pic 3).

Another one for the museum...

Scott

BellingersButtonBoxes.com

Ha!Ha! I think the sand got there because someone took it to the beach without thinking about it or protecting it. And mice... they find everything!!!! My husband left his ski boots in the garage one year... found a nest in the toe the following year...sigh...

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2017, 12:28:25 AM »

Great choice Melissa, Liliputs come in various shades of restroom floor and are a nice size and shape for noodling when you feel ill. Lots of punch in a small package, I'm still waiting for a Preciosa to occur at the 'right' price, they are the same sort of size as a Liliput. Assuming its not a retired doorstop or anchor you appear to have landed a bargain.

Sorry to hear about the infection, from your description it sounds nearly bad enough to be a touch of man-flu  :o

Scott, is 'Clubbed to Death' regarded as an adverse criticism of the fettlers skill or an industrial disease over there..................
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2017, 08:12:35 AM »

Impulse buying of a second melodeon before you have received your first!  This is the most serious form of the acute disease. It is essential that you close your ebay account immediately and seek professional help. 😱😱

Yes I firmly believe that eBay should have a breathalyser attached to its site so that you can't buy anything after a few pints. Trust me I've been there.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2017, 09:50:20 AM »

I HAVE found ballast in the bellows. I opened up one old Hohner and found SAND between the pallet and the reeds after removing the treble reedblocks! I'm not kidding...

My guess is that the "sand" was once a cheap foam that some one has used to replace (or add) a pallet pad. It may or may not have once had a leather facing.

Hohner used to use foam pads rather than felt on a couple of piano accordion models in the 1960s (Atlantic and Lucia models, maybe others too...) After around 30 years or so it turns to a sand-type substance; obviously the pallet will no longer seal, the keys are all a mile high and the "sand" will clog coupler slides and reed slots, making for very expensive repairs.

(Currently putting off sorting out an otherwise almost mint condition Hohner Lucia IVP with this very problem....any one on Oz want to take it off my hands???? Please????)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 09:52:39 AM by Malcolm Clapp »
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

MikeK

• Respected Sage
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2017, 11:00:40 AM »

This condition only becomes serious when you begin to consider exchanging your spouse/partner for the next melodeon ;D
I always respect my elders but they are getting fewer in numbers.

Melissa Sinclair

• Regular debater
    • Melissa's Melodeons
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2017, 02:44:24 PM »

The Liliput has landed at Scott's!!! That shipper was fast. I payed for it on the 23rd. It was shipped on the 24th (with a given estimate of being delivered on 1/31) and it was delivered on 1/26.) Now to find out what key (probably CF) and what condition when Scott has a chance to get to it. He does have a day job and my new liliput is not the only box he's working on!

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2017, 03:31:20 PM »

This condition only becomes serious when you begin to consider exchanging your spouse/partner for the next melodeon ;D

If only it was that easy.

Sir John   >:E
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Melissa Sinclair

• Regular debater
    • Melissa's Melodeons
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2017, 04:14:22 PM »

It needs a complete overhaul - as I would expect it to. Scott sent these two photos. The one that arrived is the one on the left (based on the old strap). An identical one that Scott has is on the right (based on the strap matching the one he has listed). The new one I got is CF and still clubbed, but below concert pitch, etc. It needs work - which is why I had it sent directly to Scott!!!

Now to do a swap with $ for the one Scott has all ready to go to get it faster, or to just have him refurbish the one I picked off ebay. Another decision to be made (but not making it now - I've got a terrible cold and didn't sleep well!)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2017, 05:06:45 PM »

It needs a complete overhaul - as I would expect it to. Scott sent these two photos. The one that arrived is the one on the left (based on the old strap). An identical one that Scott has is on the right (based on the strap matching the one he has listed). The new one I got is CF and still clubbed, but below concert pitch, etc. It needs work - which is why I had it sent directly to Scott!!!

Now to do a swap with $ for the one Scott has all ready to go to get it faster, or to just have him refurbish the one I picked off ebay. Another decision to be made (but not making it now - I've got a terrible cold and didn't sleep well!)

Externally, there appears to be little to choose between the instruments. Internally may be a different matter. Seek Scott's recommendations especially about the action, bellows and state of the reeds. Even if it costs you slightly more, I would say to go for the instrument which has the best reeds - e.g. least rusted, least messed about with by previous tunings, poor previous restoration jobs, (if any), etc.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2017, 10:48:29 PM »

No one really needs two Bb/Eb Liliputs, luckily I found a home for the purple one with a fellow MAD sufferer on this forum.

:||: :M :|glug ;D
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal