Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Toy melodeon! Where to buy real reeds to install into it?  (Read 3319 times)

Hectorawol

Toy melodeon! Where to buy real reeds to install into it?
« on: July 07, 2009, 07:51:23 AM »

Hi folks, I have purchased a toy melodeon off ebay and it is fantastic to play. I've just filmed a few videos of it being played for youtube, but my question is, if the reeds inside are of cheap quality and may go out of tune quick, where can I buy real ones to glue back in?  Another chap on youtube, put real ones in his. Thanks! I appreciate any advice or rough ideas of what this may cost. Thank you!

In addition, a link was requested by a member:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y9K4PcLBSA
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 07:47:20 AM by Hectorawol »

HallelujahAl

Re: Toy melodeon! Where to buy real reeds to install into it?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 08:08:39 AM »

Charlie Marshall at CGM or our own Theo may well be able to help!
AL

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 11:01:48 AM »

Rather than go all the way and fit new reeds you can do some simple things that will make a big improvement.

1 blank off one set of reeds so you make the box single voice.  Easy to do with a slip of paper under the reedblock, assuming its removable.

2 get the reeds properly tuned and voiced

Using only 1 voice cuts down on the air usage, and gives the tiny bellows more chance.  Paradoxically it also seemed to make the box louder when I tried it.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 05:10:32 PM »

Hector...I watched your video, Nice playing! And it looks as if you have an exceptional example there. You seem to get a lot of notes without using up all your air. The tremolo even sounds good! (My minibox has about 40 cent tremolo  :o ).
   I concur with Theo... use the stock reeds, and perform the tweaks mentioned. In addition, you might replace the leather valves, which seem to be worthless on these boxes. I have not seen any that lay flat, even on a new one. The stock reeds are brass, and are generally poorly set, so in combination with non-functioning valves, you get great air loss. When the reeds are set and tuned, they have a pleasant sweet sound, and use much less air.

My examples have bellows corners made of coated fabric. This can also be a source of air loss, especially after lots of usage. I have been looking for a flexible doping compound to repair this................jwf

forrest

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 06:58:50 PM »

BTW Hector...I've noticed from watching your videos that your mini box has a bit more upper range than mine. Seems much more useful. My keyboard runs (chin to toes, press): E3-G3-C4-E4-G4-C5-E5

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 07:30:41 PM »

Can we have a link to the videos please?
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Skipy

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 09:28:28 PM »

Can we have a link to the videos please?

I thiink this is Yer' Man

Saltarelle Solstice 12 B/C/C#, Hohner Trichord III B/C/C#. 

I can't imagine life without my melodeons!

old geezer

• Regular debater
  • Hohner Melodeon
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 01:52:12 AM »

My examples have bellows corners made of coated fabric. This can also be a source of air loss, especially after lots of usage. I have been looking for a flexible doping compound to repair this................jwf

I have used 'Liquid Electrical Tape', it remains flexible (a 'Star brite' product made in the US), black in colour, thinned slightly with paint thinners to repair a small leak in  bellows corners, applied on the inside.

Jack Murphy    beyond the black stump

forrest

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 03:58:34 AM »

I have used 'Liquid Electrical Tape', it remains flexible (a 'Star brite' product made in the US), black in colour, thinned slightly with paint thinners to repair a small leak in  bellows corners, applied on the inside.

Yes indeed, have used this product to coat old bellows corners in an old Koch one row. It worked well, but you want to do it in the next county because the toxic fume level is verrry high! :P I have been experimenting with a flexible fabric adhesive that has some promise. It works extremely fast though, and also contains some nasty chemicals.

old geezer

• Regular debater
  • Hohner Melodeon
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 07:37:54 AM »

maybe a new way of getting a high                  sniff, note..
Jack Murphy    beyond the black stump
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal