Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing a clubbed instrument versus traditional melodeon play  (Read 3352 times)

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
Re: Playing a clubbed instrument versus traditional melodeon play
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2017, 05:35:08 PM »

Melissa, there are a good number of tunes with too many (what my typist used to call) "Acid nettles" and rather than use those silly squeaky keys at chin level (on quint boxes anyway), it is relatively easy to adapt a tune for playing on our "limitation" machines. If you can't do this satisfactorily with a tune yourself, there's almost always somebody on here can help you with it.  :|||:

Regarding Liliputs, I took the coward's way out and am awaiting a declubbed C/F from folkloristmark of this parish.  ;D

Have fun!

Chris B.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Howard Jones

Re: Playing a clubbed instrument versus traditional melodeon play
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2017, 11:01:47 AM »

I thought long and hard about having my Hohner Club II de-clubbed.  You can learn fairly easily to avoid the gleichton and take the missing note from the other row.  I had no problem provided I only played tunes on it which I didn't play on other boxes, and the gleichton does have some advantages especially when holding right hand chords to accompany songs. Nevertheless this did involve making a conscious effort to deviate from long-engrained playing habits and I eventually took the plunge to convert it. 

As a beginner you have probably made the right decision, as it would be confusing for a learner to have two boxes with different layouts.  For a more experienced player who acquires a club I would suggest you don't rush to convert it but see if you can get used to the difference, and whether that brings you any benefits. I'm still not entirely sure I made the right choice.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal