Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Storing the melodeons  (Read 6910 times)

MikeK

• Respected Sage
Re: Storing the melodeons
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2017, 07:59:30 PM »

Mine is always left on the dressing table in our bedroom.
 I acquired another skill, on a small sewing machine,when I made a nice dust cover for it.
 The hard case is wrapped up in the garage until holiday season.

I'd need a BIG dressing table to fit all 13 on top........
/quote]

Isn't 13 considered unlucky. I think you need another.
I always respect my elders but they are getting fewer in numbers.

Stockaryd

• Regular debater
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2017, 10:20:11 PM »

I have my melodeon in the sofa. I have to move it to sit down and watch TV.
There is also a guitar and an ukulele.
Hohner Corso, Hohner Erica, Emmanuel Pariselle, Gessner,   Koch,   Mariotti,    "China  NoName",   4 Toy,     -and now some more

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2017, 12:17:00 AM »

Yes, pianos are really designed for musicians to put their drinks on.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

David A

• Good talker
  • Serenellini Lady D/G
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2017, 12:18:29 PM »

Avoid aircraft hold transport if possible. But if you must, make sure the melodeon is securely padded inside the hard case with bubble-wrap, expanded polystyrene, etc. to ensure that it doesn't move about inside the case. Aircraft baggage handlers are not renowned for their gentleness in chucking stuff around. Also, if you can, lock the clasps so they don't get accidentally caught and inadvertently opened. Failing that, stick duct-tape patches over the clasps.

Thanks for the excellent advice about transport by air. I can't imagine when I would need that as we drive to the alps to ski and then we spend our summers going round Folk Festivals in our caravan. There's always room in the car or 'van for my Lady in her gig bag.

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2017, 03:03:34 PM »

Probably a good idea to keep them in their cases, but don't fasten the bellows straps.
The straps should only be used for unboxed travelling.
I'll probably be shot down for this but I do think that's correct.

Cobblers. I've never heard such nonsense. It is a good thing to keep the bellows compressed.  It makes the bellows easier to close fully when you are playing.  Nothing worse than encountering resistance in the last bit of bellows movement.  With older instruments it will make little difference.

I've just nipped upstairs and fixed all the straps on my boxes.😎 Mind you for me to nip anywhere is bordering on ridiculous . Thanks for the advice gang.

What are bellows straps for anyway?  To prevent the bellows opening when you don't want them to – taking the instrument out of it's case is the one time when you do want the bellows to under control.

I always keep the various melodeons in their boxes until it's their turn to be played. No dusting, and I havent got shelf space anyway. But I do wonder if there are disadvantages to this - maybe more chance of rusty reeds ? Views and comments ?

Avoid extremes of temperature, avoid dampness and also avoid very low humidity, and avoid excessive dust.   Stick to those simple guidelines and your melodeon will be happy, and so will you. I can't see any reason why storing in a closed case would lead to rusty reeds, unless you put it away damp.  So don't let it get damp in the first place.

I hope we can squash these two pointless myths before they get out out.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2017, 06:27:29 AM »

Never EVER use hold transport. I've said this before but watching a Ryanair load at Liverpool I counted 1 in 20 bags tossed onto the conveyer bounce, and then fall about 1.8m onto the concrete. Add unseen in terminal ballistics, and a 2 way journey and you are looking at 12-15% of your box getting accident level sudden deceleration on a trip

Similarly in Copenhagen I WATCHED Scandanavian Air's unloader throwing cases something over 2.5m into a recepticle. This guy was a much better shot, and never missed, but … reeds in wax aren't designed to take this sort of sudden force.

I travel with a van der Aa compact (3 row). In a gig bag it fits even Ryanair's litle cage. I calculated that my full size Gaillard would have to be dismenbered, box bits on my shoulders, bellows in suitcase in hold. But are we off topic in this?

A Mexican friend told me that melodeons should be stored on their legs (right end), never on their sides, that otherwise wax will creep, reeds will move.  Not noticed this in 30 years m'self. Is there any truth ….even 'alternative truth' in this?
  _       _    _      _ 

Howard Jones

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2017, 09:54:15 AM »

...Add unseen in terminal ballistics...

The company I used to work for was involved in building a new terminal at Manchester Airport and I was taken on a "behind the scenes" tour before it opened.  The baggage-handling area was a maze of conveyors which delivered the luggage down some high and very steep chutes, and it arrived at the bottom with a considerable impact. Having seen what happens to your luggage by design, before the handlers get stuck in, I would never put anything breakable in hold luggage.

I was once at the same airport waiting for my luggage when I noticed a battered cardboard box going round on the carousel.  Despite being labelled "Fragile" in large letters it was upside down and looked as if it had been given a good kicking. Just as it had disappeared out of sight I heard a voice behind me say, "Don't worry darling, it's marked 'Fragile'".

Dazbo

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Danger MAD Here!
    • My YouTube Channel for melodeons, morris and folk in general
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2017, 05:11:37 PM »

A Mexican friend told me that melodeons should be stored on their legs (right end), never on their sides, that otherwise wax will creep, reeds will move.  Not noticed this in 30 years m'self. Is there any truth ….even 'alternative truth' in this?

Not heard this about melodeons in the years I've been playing but I have heard something similar about proper concertinas (ie not accordian reeds) where the concertina should be stored in the same orientation it is played in. 

Is this another Urban Myth Theo?
Ciao Bellow

Darren

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2017, 05:18:25 PM »

Concertina valves do set into a curled position if stored on one end for long periods.  The equivalent for a melodeon would be laying it on its back.  I've seen no evidence of wax creep from incorrect storage position in the climate we have in the UK.   Mexico might be different.  Wherever you are its best just to play the thing and not get too preoccupied with minute details of storage.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Jules0654

• Regular debater
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2017, 08:05:31 PM »

I gave in and have garage racking in the lounge to hold the 20+ melodeons.......trouble is so many are played and left on the floor and the racking is empty....!
Pokerwork x 2, Erica, Liliput, Saltarelle Berry, Corona, Serenellini Dona, Hohner C/F and "something german".....becoming MAD?

Clawhammer

• Good talker
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2017, 07:15:15 PM »

As a single box kind of guy, I got a little "Fishman Loudbox Artist Slip Cover" to enable the thing to sit covered in the living room and taunt me whenever I'm watching the worthless box that makes sounds when turned on.  It's sits right there in front of me in my chair and continues to remind me that it does not care to be ignored.
trying to capably ride a pair of Baldoni DG and Baffetti BP II D/G boxes.

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2017, 09:33:42 AM »

Unfortunately if you play gigs abroad with more than one box needed then the NEVER EVER use the aircraft hold is an impossible rule to follow.  I have had one pokerwork almost completely smashed up by EasyJet but because it was the cheapest box I had with me it was also in the cheapest case.  I have never had a box damaged in a proper case made of resin bonded birch plywood with decent aluminium fittings.  I don't use bubble-wrap and foam inside the case but instead I remove the reedblocks, wrap them up and take separately in the suitcase, stuff the instrument full of my pants and socks for the trip and then wrap the melodeon in larger clothes like T-shirts and jumpers until it cannot move in the flight case.

I'm not saying it's impossible to have your instrument broken this way - but a regular melodeon case that comes with the instrument is certainly not good enough for the job.
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2017, 12:07:47 PM »

Unfortunately if you play gigs abroad with more than one box needed then the NEVER EVER use the aircraft hold is an impossible rule to follow.  I have had one pokerwork almost completely smashed up by EasyJet but because it was the cheapest box I had with me it was also in the cheapest case.  I have never had a box damaged in a proper case made of resin bonded birch plywood with decent aluminium fittings.  I don't use bubble-wrap and foam inside the case but instead I remove the reedblocks, wrap them up and take separately in the suitcase, stuff the instrument full of my pants and socks for the trip and then wrap the melodeon in larger clothes like T-shirts and jumpers until it cannot move in the flight case.

I'm not saying it's impossible to have your instrument broken this way - but a regular melodeon case that comes with the instrument is certainly not good enough for the job.

Excellent advice. Presumably the dirty clothes get squeezed inside the instrument on return ? >:E
Old Bones Dance Band

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2017, 02:21:29 PM »

Well ... yes ... but you can put them in a plastic bag first if you're squeamish about it I suppose!
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

rebus

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2017, 12:32:26 PM »

What about keeping the melodeon in the car (into a gigbag)? I have sometimes the need to keep mine in the car all day long, but I am worried about weather and humidity conditions (temperature may be almost 50°C in the summer or below zero in winter)
Giustozzi Mod. 87a F/Bb
Dino Baffetti Mod. 85LC G/C

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2017, 01:34:29 PM »

I prefer accessible storage

SJ

There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

911377brian

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2017, 02:15:41 PM »

There was a post a bit back on Eskimo melodeon bands and I wondered then how on earth they were stored and kept playable in formidably low temperatures. Perhaps we're worrying too much....

tirpous

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2017, 04:38:34 PM »

What about keeping the melodeon in the car (into a gigbag)? I have sometimes the need to keep mine in the car all day long, but I am worried about weather and humidity conditions (temperature may be almost 50°C in the summer or below zero in winter)

I think it's generally considered not to be a good idea.

The Idle Rich

• Good talker
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2017, 05:18:09 PM »

The late Jim Coogan once  told me that he was in Florida with his Paolo Soprani and had to leave it in the car parked behind some palm trees in the shade. When he returned the car was no longer in the shade and all the reeds had melted off the reed blocks!   :P

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2017, 05:25:48 PM »

As I have related previously, I left my Castagnari Lily in my boot all day when at work as we were going dancing in the evening to fleece entertain the Christmas crowds. It got very cold. We went into a pub for a pre-dance stiffener where it warmed up some, then back out into the cold. Cue big suck treble chord to attract the crowds attention, all the reeds parted company with the box, ended up with very expensive Castagnari Shaky Egg   :(

Be careful out there !
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal