Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Budget boxes  (Read 7772 times)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Re: Budget boxes
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2017, 04:24:07 PM »

Jolly Roger is on here as RogerT.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2017, 05:22:11 PM »

Re Paul Flannery - this may help: https://all-opening-hours.co.uk/07011103/Paul_Flannery_Music

It also has a map for his business.

Chris B.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Lyra

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2017, 12:01:26 AM »

Love the Morgane on ebay but it's a lot of money if I can't get my head around it.
Well, yes and no - a decent box can generally be sold on without major loss if it decides not to choose you :)

Jonathan Arnett

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2017, 02:33:49 PM »

Thanks for the links to Paul. I'm going to need him. Think I have a box as my offer accepted. It's a D/G Pokerwork of 30 years vintage. And not too expensive compared to the Chinese ones. Maybe I will aspire to a Sherwood Shire. But first I need to actually learn to play at least to an elementary level. Thanks for all the help. Sure I will be back for more. What an amazing friendly bunch you are. Usually on forums there are people who just want to show you how little you know or how superior they are to you. It's refreshing to receive so much help. Especially I listen to some of you on u-tube. And will probably never be able to play as well as that. Maybe Melodeon players are just good people! Now I need to go and arrange to collect my new instrument. Thanks again for all the reply's.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2017, 02:51:12 PM »

Well done Jonathan in acquiring the box. A Pokerwork will keep you going for ever.
Once you have it sorted, don't forget to keep popping back and asking advice, don't get stuck!
Cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2017, 03:38:11 PM »

Maybe Melodeon players are just good people!

Sounds about right to me........
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Jonathan Arnett

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2017, 05:07:19 PM »

Finally got it. Great sound with strong bass. Sounds in tune to me.  Bit battered but it is 30 years old. Came with new expensive padded straps and the book by Dave Mallinson so that softened the blow a little. It is quite easy to play needing very little air to play a sound. I Love the sound of it. Not sure the neighbors will! Think I may need to drive out to a deserted moor and annoy some sheep. By the time i got back only had 15 minutes to play with it. Think I will live with it as is for now as I may want to change a key somewhere later so will hold off getting it looked at for now. All I have to do now is learn to play the thing. Got to go and feed the kids now so it won't be today. Thanks for all the advice. The Hohner is a lovely sounding box.

Sage Herb

• Steve Harrison
  • Slaithwaite, UK
    • The Black Box Band
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2017, 06:16:44 PM »

Re Paul Flannery - this may help: https://all-opening-hours.co.uk/07011103/Paul_Flannery_Music

It also has a map for his business.

Chris B.

Jonathan, if you can't contact Paul F via website, PM me and I'll give you his mobile number. BTW good luck with the box - Hohners are wonderful.
Cheers
Steve

Hohner Erikas & Club 2s
Hohner gob-harps:
Vega Senator 5-string banjo; Alex Burns plectrum guitar

Black Box Band - www.theblackboxband.co.uk
Annie Dearman & Steve Harrison - www.dearmanharrison.co.uk
Phoenix - www.phoenixdanceband.co.uk
http://soundcloud.com/sage-herb

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2017, 04:49:56 AM »

Bit battered but it is 30 years old

And the best ones usually are.An excellent choice. 8)

Congratulations on your first box, and welcome to the melodeon.  :||: :||: :||:

Garry Probert

• Respected Sage
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2017, 11:34:24 AM »

Bit battered but it is 30 years old

And the best ones usually are.An excellent choice. 8)

Congratulations on your first box, and welcome to the melodeon.
excellent purchase I was lucky as my friends a player so tried a few far east ? starter boxes

My vintage hohner's are so superior in build quality and I played a modern chinese version and even with my limited knowledge the build quality and sound are inferior ,darrens advice was buy a vintage hohner as they were expensive when new and quality built instruments ,and he thinks are still very undervalued compared to modern budget instruments

A bit battered is character for me probably because i,m also a bit battered lol     

Jonathan Arnett

« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2017, 07:19:49 PM »

It's what you guys recommended I get. But on hearing it I could understand why. Really don't get why the guy sold it as he was still playing. It has a truly awesome sound. I have heard a few on utube but not like this one. Only issue i have is it's really loud. Not too bad when playing only the treble. But now I'm getting the bass going with the simple tunes. Theres just no way to keep it quiet. So it's either clear out the shed. Which needs doing anyway. Or take to driving off to remote places and get arrested for disturbing the peace.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2017, 07:39:55 AM »

It's what you guys recommended I get. But on hearing it I could understand why. Really don't get why the guy sold it as he was still playing. It has a truly awesome sound. I have heard a few on utube but not like this one. Only issue i have is it's really loud. Not too bad when playing only the treble. But now I'm getting the bass going with the simple tunes. Theres just no way to keep it quiet. So it's either clear out the shed. Which needs doing anyway. Or take to driving off to remote places and get arrested for disturbing the peace.

It should be perfectly possible for a Pokerwork to be played relatively softly. Try it and see - the reeds should respond with relatively little bellows pressure. You shouldn't need to force the instrument to play. However, a lot depends on how the reeds have been set up (or not). If the reeds have a 'breathy' sound and are slow to respond except at higher bellows pressures (= a loud sound), it is likely that some adjustment of the reed tip gap is needed and maybe some valves replacing too.

Some players (particularly morris musicians) who need extra volume may have had the reed gap set deliberately on the high side, which could mean the instrument is more difficult to play quietly.

A good instrument repairer and tuner can check what is needed and do the work to set up the instrument for you. 
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

george garside

« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2017, 08:56:41 AM »

many boxes will play a lot quieter if you squeeze less hard!  so doing does not seem to come naturally and actually takes considerable practice

george >:E ;)
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Jonathan Arnett

« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2017, 10:53:10 PM »

That's interesting. I can play the treble soft. But the Bass no way. When played together it's really loud or no sound comes out at all. Think I probably need to get it set up properly. It also seems to need more pressure on the pull than the push. Or maybe thats just me. There are grommets under the bass buttons so it has had some work in the past. A bit busy rebuilding the kitchen at the moment but I will get around to it. Also I don't want to be without it for a week. It's sort of addictive. 15 minutes stress relief at least twice a day! (Today more like an hour and 15m. )

TomBom

• Respected Sage
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2017, 11:23:31 PM »

That's interesting. I can play the treble soft. But the Bass no way.
You can try to play the basses really really staccato. Very short, just tipping the buttons.
It's not easy, though, to play one side staccato and the other not.

Jonathan Arnett

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2017, 04:39:39 PM »

Thanks. Will give it a try but probably my skill level isn't there yet. About 5 years off!

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2017, 07:38:49 AM »

Hohner Morgan's don't weigh anywhere near 10kg?
(Unless someone has put a lead brick inside.)
A little bit heavier than a pokerwork I'd say, towards 4kg.
Does if you get the tungsten or depleted uranium reed plates. Sure its heavy but the sound is awesome!
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal