Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Budget boxes  (Read 7773 times)

Jonathan Arnett

Re: Budget boxes
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2017, 05:45:33 PM »

Arhhh. That makes sense at last. On the face of it the B/C is more versatile. But as you say there advantages to both layouts. Have an offer in on a D/G Hohner Polkerwork so wait and see if it's accepted. If not there are 2 B/C Hohner Polkerworks I could have a crack at.  Let fate decide.
The seller of the Morgane said it was 10kg. It is a bit too expensive really though it's a great sounding and looking box. Noticed a Sherwood Shire on Amazon at 450 though I know nothing about them and can't find anything on utube either. Bit expensive also really. Didn't get so much for the Piano. There so heavy and difficult to move it's not easy finding anyone committed enough to come and take it away.
Thanks for all the help.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2017, 06:07:33 PM »

Glad you see what's going on through the keyboard layouts.
The reason the DGs are the preferred box for English music is a historical thing. One of our tune collectors collected a lot of tunes in those keys in the mid 50's and asked Hohner to produce a batch in these keys therefore the box is designed to play the tunes in the keys commonly used for English music.
The BC is more versatile ( chromatic ) if that's what you need!
For the majority of tunes in the common English repertoire you don't need this, hence the two keys. Also most DGs have some accidentals at the chin end to help out if you need them.
More food for thought!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2017, 06:08:15 PM »

There are no differences between a B/C and D/G except for the fact the keys D and G are a fourth apart, and the keys of B and C are a semitone apart.

That's pretty much a fundamental difference..........
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2017, 06:09:40 PM »

I know I'm a skinflint, but when I see someone looking for a "budget" box, I still think in terms of £15 to £18! Mind you, I now realise that Hohner's and the like don't usually come for those sort of prices, and you do tend to get what you pay for.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2017, 06:12:45 PM »

The seller of the Morgane said it was 10kg.

I'm guessing that will be the shipping weight (s)he'll be charging for, not the weight of the instrument.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2017, 06:20:40 PM »

Yes, that makes sense. When I posted my Scarlatti, including the case and packing, it was getting on that way. By the way, the bellows stiffness is curable, without too much effort.

Chris B.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

vof

• Regular debater
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2017, 08:05:34 PM »

There are no differences between a B/C and D/G except for the fact the keys D and G are a fourth apart, and the keys of B and C are a semitone apart.

That's pretty much a fundamental difference..........

That's what I thought too when I read it except with added exclamations and adjectives!  >:E
Vince O'Farrell
Dino BPII; Hohners: Pokerwork D/G (fettled by Theo; 4th button start, Viennese tuning, and thirds stop by Mike Rowbotham); red Erica G/C; couple of 1040s in C and G project boxes.

Grape Ape

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2017, 08:55:07 PM »

THE MORGANE IS NOT 10kg!

Lyra

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2017, 09:31:09 PM »

They might be referring to volumetric weight which is a construct used in some shipping agencies? It's something that needs taking your socks off to calculate, imho, but there you go.

george garside

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2017, 09:25:21 AM »

In England the choice of DG or BC  depends on what you want to play and who you want to play it with!   DG is best for most 'english'  pub sessions as most of the stuff played will be in D or G!  If however you only intend to play with yourself ( so to speak)  then a BC  does offer fairly easy playing in FCGDAE   but mostly without usable bass. The fairly rare Hohner double ray with 12 stradella bass improves things considerably as you have bass for CGDA and enough to get by on for F & E. I have one of those and its a very useful/versatile lightweight 2 row box, but then I would not consider the 8 (melodeon ) bass double ray( which is popular for Irish music ) because I rarely play Irish trad music.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2017, 09:29:13 AM »

It always comes back to 'what do you want to play?......'
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Jonathan Arnett

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2017, 12:05:18 PM »

Probably English. Most likely will be playing by myself at least for some time. Will just about manage 15 minutes a day. Maybe a bit more Fridays though more than that may lead the neighbours to rebel anyway. At least until I can get a tune out of it! I'm no Tim Eday. Biting my fingernails a bit now as waiting for a response to the offer I put in on a D/G Hohner Pokerwork. There is a C/F Pokerwork on ebay very cheap and it looks in fine fettle. That may be the fall back. If it stays cheap enough it may be worth converting depending on the condition. Ebay a bit of a gamble. Though of course I could always have two. No no I didn't say that. It's a tough choice really. Love the Morgane on ebay but it's a lot of money if I can't get my head around it. But then I don't want something thats going to offend my ears. Are there any fettlers in West Yorkshire? To get whatever I get checked over and maybe tuned/adjusted a bit? Was planning on using the guy at the music room though he must live somewhere around here.

george garside

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2017, 12:15:19 PM »

the music room used Paul Flannery Music for repair and tuning work. He is in Cleckheaton and has a website

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

David A

• Good talker
  • Serenellini Lady D/G
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2017, 01:38:43 PM »

I think Ollie King (here on melnet and also at www.olliekingmusic.com) works part time at Hobgoblin in Leeds. It might be worth having a chat with him about an hire-purchase arrangement for a box. I found making a proposal (eg 4 quarterly instalments) better than asking what they could offer. Cheers, David

Huw Adamson

• Good talker
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2017, 02:06:16 PM »

The main things you have to check on ebay are the tuning and the bellows. I'd never buy a box off ebay if there wasn't a clear picture of the bellows spread open.
And the sharks they played melodeon

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2017, 02:22:59 PM »

Ollie has now moved to London and I do remember him saying he'd given up his job which presumably was Hobgoblin in Leeds.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2017, 02:24:26 PM »

Just thought as I pressed 'send'
A lot of fettlers use couriers to get boxes too and from them, which saves a very long trip in the car.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Jonathan Arnett

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2017, 02:41:38 PM »

the music room used Paul Flannery Music for repair and tuning work. He is in Cleckheaton and has a website

george

Came up blank on Google.  Not listed on here either. Though Jolly rodger accordians claim to have been trained by him. Only reference to him I can find. Would rather go direct than through a shop if possible. Thanks.

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2017, 03:49:51 PM »

george

Came up blank on Google.  Not listed on here either. Though Jolly rodger accordians claim to have been trained by him. Only reference to him I can find. Would rather go direct than through a shop if possible. Thanks.

https://www.facebook.com/PaulFlannerymusic/
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal