Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeon Playgroup North East I  (Read 7100 times)

Nigel

• Respected Sage
Melodeon Playgroup North East I
« on: January 31, 2017, 12:30:50 PM »

Our first Playgroup will be held in Ebchester (County Durham) on Saturday 20 May. This village is in the hills between Newcastle, Durham and Hexham, has a good bus service from Newcastle, with some hotels in the area and a nearby caravan site. It will be led by Theo Gibb, Dave Gray and Owen Woods with support from Pete (Acorn). We'll have some boxes available for "absolute" absolute beginners. I'll post more information soon.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 12:45:19 PM by Budge »

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
Re: Melodeon Playgroup North East I
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 10:57:18 AM »

What is the plan, is it just intended for beginners or will it be of interest to more experienced players as well?

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 02:09:26 PM »

Hi Tufty

Yes it is firmly aimed at beginners and recent beginners.  People who've just got their first instrument, or have only been playing a short while.  And complete beginners including people who don't yet have an instrument and want to try. There will be loan instruments available for the absolute beginners class.  The idea is to get aspiring players onto the first rung of the learning ladder and to help newish players get a bit more confidence.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 03:39:11 PM »

Thanks, if I can help in any way on the day let me know.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 04:25:12 PM »

I would also have offered to help, but unfortunately I have a gig that day. However, I hope it is brilliantly successful.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 04:54:07 PM »

Good to know they are being catered for by such a team. If you lot can't inspire them they might need a different hobby.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 08:58:07 PM »

Best wishes!
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 11:52:35 PM »

Nice posts Guys. We lost a few posts in the server changeover last night. I'll summarise them to confirm receipt.
Summerstars and Edward Jennings are attending. PlayandTeach might be attending. Theo confirmed that  there would be no advanced materials for absolute beginners as they must start from scratch.
I'll post more details next week.
Cheers. Nigel.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 08:39:12 AM »

Just to say that I won't inflict myself on this one as I fall between two stools, neither helper nor beginner. But I do hope it's the start of something ongoing.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 04:29:35 PM »

We're starting to roll. Details are attached. Our facebook page and website will follow. To date, 1 Beginner and 4 Improvers are coming.
Nigel

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
  • Forget the tea, just pass me a large Gin 🍸
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 08:03:06 AM »

(:) brilliant .... sure it will be a great success  :||: :|||:    hopefully there will be more NE playgroups as I'd love to attend but can't get to this one  :(
  Have downloaded the flyer to take to a local music group where there's at least one melodeon beginner who could be interested.
On the bracing North Yorkshire Coast :D

You hum it pet.......I'll play it......but not necessarily in the same key 🎶😊
 3 lovely Liliputs, a Preciosa, a Pokerwork & a C/G Anglo concertina :D

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 04:01:41 PM »

(:) brilliant .... sure it will be a great success  :||: :|||:    hopefully there will be more NE playgroups as I'd love to attend but can't get to this one  :(
  Have downloaded the flyer to take to a local music group where there's at least one melodeon beginner who could be interested.
Thanks Ann. This is also intended for absolute beginners, ie they've not played before and may not even possess a box. It's great that you're spreading the news. I'll create a small one page flyer which could help to wet appetites. I'm sorting out the facebook page now. If successful, this event might run annually as we don't want to clash with the other Playgroups.
By the way, we are starting a completely separate Melodeon Group session for all-comers with the first session in March in Newcastle. I'll post news tomorrow.         

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 02:03:02 PM »

We now have a facebook page "Melodeon Playgroup - North East I". The revised attached flyer contains this link but I now realise that Guests cannot see attachments. It can be downloaded from the facebook page. Details of our website will follow.
Nigel

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 02:46:15 PM »

We now have a facebook page "Melodeon Playgroup - North East I". The revised attached flyer contains this link but I now realise that Guests cannot see attachments. It can be downloaded from the facebook page. Details of our website will follow.
Nigel

Nigel

This is because you have created a group, not a page. With a page anyone on FB could see the files.

Helena
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 02:55:22 PM »

Nigel

Nigel

This is because you have created a group, not a page. With a page anyone on FB could see the files.

Helena
Thanks Helena. I'll PM you rather than post so you can put me right. For one, I trust experts but hope it won't cost me. 

Nigel

• Respected Sage
Re: Melodeon Playgroup North East I - Materials for Improver Group
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 05:23:26 PM »

The workshop materials are attached for the Improver Group. This Group can expect Owen to explore techniques and rhythms using one tune.

Nigel

• Respected Sage
Re: Melodeon Playgroup North East I - Materials for Beginner Group
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 05:35:04 PM »

The workshop materials are attached for the Beginner Group.
Dave wants you to concentrate on the "Jingling Barn" tune. This will start with only playing on single rows - G row for Part A and D row for Part B. He may go onto cross row playing, depending on progress during the day. He will only go onto the "Bouree de Montford" if everyone is confident in playing cross row on "Jingling Barn".
Dave's recording of "Jingling Barn" cannot be attached. It can be obtained from the group facebook page or sent by email. Please contact nigelbrace@aol.com if you would like it to be sent by email.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 09:05:38 PM by Nigel »

Nigel

• Respected Sage
Re: Melodeon Playgroup North East I in Ebchester on 20 May
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2017, 11:59:30 AM »

We’re just over one week away and I’m looking forward to seeing you at the Playgroup. Final details are given in the attached documents.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2017, 01:34:41 AM »

I was just wondering whether there might be anyone who could do with a lift to the Playgroup on Saturday, or to the session on Friday Night?
I've got a lend of No 1 Son's car and will be attending both events. I'm in Gateshead, but wouldn't mind collecting you from somewhere nearby; South Tyneside perhaps, possibly Washington, or somewhere on the way?
Drop me a message on here of I can be of any help.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2017, 10:08:19 PM »

I was just wondering whether there might be anyone who could do with a lift to the Playgroup on Saturday, or to the session on Friday Night?
I've got a lend of No 1 Son's car and will be attending both events. I'm in Gateshead, but wouldn't mind collecting you from somewhere nearby; South Tyneside perhaps, possibly Washington, or somewhere on the way?
Drop me a message on here of I can be of any help.
Good man, Edward. So, you've assembled a DG box and don't need to borrow one.   
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal