Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just a little squeal - melodeons are on their way!  (Read 2501 times)

Melissa Sinclair

• Regular debater
  • Got my first squeeze... box(es)
    • Melissa's Melodeons
Just a little squeal - melodeons are on their way!
« on: February 02, 2017, 02:09:02 PM »

Scott and I decided to swap his CF Liliput for the one I got off ebay as they appeared essentially the same in condition and this way I get it sooner than later. Scott is shipping both out today. As well as that, Sean sent me book one of the Pignol and Milleret which I should get around Monday - same with the melodeons... Maybe I shouldn't go to work on Monday? Hmmm... I do have two comp days coming to me from all the hours I've put in this week. Tempting! (Maybe on Tuesday!)

Anyway... I blogged a bit more about it, but I'm excited!

Here's the link to the Youtube video Scott posted last night of the Hohner I bought. Next to it on the rotating table is the Liliput also coming to me.

https://youtu.be/n837Y1l77Qk
Plunking on my 1st box: Vintage burl Hohner in GC,  a lonely Hohner Liliput in CF, and a borrowed Streb to have a "silent Melodeon" and a melodeon of many keys!

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
Re: Just a little squeal - melodeons are on their way!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 04:42:04 PM »

It begins... :|||:
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 05:31:48 PM »

"Off Topic", I know. But...............
Melissa, you keep mentioning that you're blogging this and blogging that, but you don't give us any directions to your blog! Come on girl, don't keep us in suspense.
BTW, I can sense your excitement all the way here to Egypt, believe me; we're all thrilled for you.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 05:39:56 PM »

Melissa, you keep mentioning that you're blogging this and blogging that, but you don't give us any directions to your blog! Come on girl, don't keep us in suspense.
BTW, I can sense your excitement all the way here to Egypt, believe me; we're all thrilled for you.

Available by clicking on the globe under her avatar or here

http://melissasmelodeon.blogspot.co.uk/

Melissa Sinclair

• Regular debater
    • Melissa's Melodeons
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 05:42:14 PM »

Melissa, you keep mentioning that you're blogging this and blogging that, but you don't give us any directions to your blog! " Come on girl, don't keep us in suspense.

Not quite off topic - as it's a Melodeon blog...

How to find a person's blog that has been linked on Melnet - you've done it for yourself as I just clicked on your blog? “Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice!" What sort of magic is this?

Under a person's user photo are a bunch of icons. One of them, it if is linked in your profile, is an image of the Earth. THIS is the direct link to individual's blog.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 05:43:57 PM by Melissa Sinclair »
Plunking on my 1st box: Vintage burl Hohner in GC,  a lonely Hohner Liliput in CF, and a borrowed Streb to have a "silent Melodeon" and a melodeon of many keys!

hickory-wind

• Lives in NY USA near the Erie Canal
    • Bellingers' Button Boxes
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 05:47:16 PM »

Yes, both of Melissa's 'new' boxes are in the post. It said 2 day shipping on the label so we can hope for a Saturday delivery but Monday for sure.

Thank you Melissa for your kind words in the blog. Seems like you may be spreading MAD before you've received your first instrument. Retrovirus? Must be a term for this.

Scott
too many boxes...please buy one, or two, or

Melissa Sinclair

• Regular debater
    • Melissa's Melodeons
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 06:07:34 PM »

Available by clicking on the globe under her avatar or here

http://melissasmelodeon.blogspot.co.uk/

I actually JUST had changed the URL.

As... um... I already have two Melodeons. I made it plural.  ;D

http://melissasmelodeons.blogspot.com/

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 07:14:08 PM »

"Available by clicking on the globe under her avatar"

Well, b****r me! You live and learn eh? Thanks Mr Bailey. I'm off to have a butchers just now.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 07:42:55 PM »

I got my  declubbed Liliput just a few days ago.  ;D I was truly astonished as to how petite she was. Pikey thoughtfully warned me that they are very air-thirsty and often need the bellows pulling out further than one might expect. They are also good training on judicious use of the air button as well.  :||:
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 07:49:21 PM »

I now have 3 Liliputs, and a Preciosa. and I just love them to bits.

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 08:04:15 PM »

I now have 3 Liliputs, and a Preciosa. and I just love them to bits.

Sir John

Ah, but do you  have a red one?  >:E :|glug
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 08:14:43 PM »

Off topic i have  a green one and a few purple.Good luck with them all
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

Gary

• Respected Sage
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 01:48:16 PM »

Interesting blog Melissa, the total opposite to how I learned. I do not currently read music and only have a fragmented theory kowledge.However over 20 years I picked up tunes and then actually started to practice. Great fun and turns out i made a good choice of instrument for my casual approach.

Melissa Sinclair

• Regular debater
    • Melissa's Melodeons
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 08:55:06 PM »

Interesting blog Melissa, the total opposite to how I learned. I do not currently read music and only have a fragmented theory kowledge.However over 20 years I picked up tunes and then actually started to practice. Great fun and turns out i made a good choice of instrument for my casual approach.

My theory of learning is go with what you got. I have tried just picking it up and playing around and that is way frustrating to me. I have a bit of a formal music background, so I'm helping myself with that route of RUDIMENTARY training (only as it would relate to what you would learn in a band/orchestra on horn) to this new endeavor. Once I know my way around the box better, it will be easier for me to to be more informal with it. But like until last night, I could barely untie my two hands. Chords mean nothing to me, etc. I would love it if just picking up an instrument and being able to play from my soul worked for me. I have a feeling, I'll always be relying on written music and not ever having it be my interpretation on it. I don't have that "inner jazz musician/composer" in-me.

Like I would love to be able to just feel the music, like Jimbo/Dereknutter in this video: https://youtu.be/IxKtPjFsZv4

Or this young man sitting in a cafe playing? https://youtu.be/1_Jx4gPFnlI

And one of my favorites, this one - especially the jazzy second half of the piece: https://youtu.be/2mxXaRfM0gA

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 11:37:06 PM »

Firstly, good taste. I know those clips and admire them.
Secondly, a good way in to improvising is to stick to a limited left hand pattern and build it rhythmically and melodically. It will sound rough for a long time, but occasionally you'll hit a vein of gold.
Just throw out the bad stuff. Composition is frozen improvisation.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Lyra

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 07:00:32 AM »

It's fascinating how different people learn - or the same people learn things differently.
I'm a flute player from the dots (or by ear) but a fluent reader. I learn notes from the dots, or intervals by ear. However, for the melodeon, I can follow tab, I can relate buttons to dots but I can't "read" because what I'm learning is shapes. This was reinforced when I tried a piano accordion (erk) the other day and my hands just said "NO!".
There's obviously a grey area as I had the same reaction when trying the Northumbrian pipes - my paws just rejected the fingering out of hand, (if you'll pardon the expression.)

[I do write tunes down a) because I need to remind myself of the basses we chose, and b) sometimes I need to remind myself of the tune itself but that's after the fact.]

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2017, 08:29:20 AM »

I'm a flute player from the dots (or by ear) but a fluent reader. I learn notes from the dots, or intervals by ear. However, for the melodeon, I can follow tab, I can relate buttons to dots but I can't "read" because what I'm learning is shapes. This was reinforced when I tried a piano accordion (erk) the other day and my hands just said "NO!".
There's obviously a grey area as I had the same reaction when trying the Northumbrian pipes - my paws just rejected the fingering out of hand, (if you'll pardon the expression.)...
The Northumbrian pipes are an 'interesting' learning experience for anyone coming to them, as I did, from the background of a conventional woodwind player - mostly clarinet and saxophone in my case. The need constantly to cover all the holes on the chanter except the one being used to sound the note takes quite a bit of getting used to.

When I first started playing the melodeon, I had to get the tune fixed in my head before I could really successfully start playing it on the melodeon. If the tune was unfamiliar or complex, I used to play it on a whistle (reading the dots) to get it in my head first. I still sometimes use this approach.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2017, 09:19:12 AM »

Picking up something Lyra said - I annotate the tunes for accompniament when first giving a new tune a go. It saves me trying to remember what I did with the bass end last time and let's me concentrate in getting the tune in my head.
The tunes I come across are almost all melody only, no hint to bass and chord which means you can choose to play it any way you want but you need to decide what suits you or gives the sound you like.
I tend to cross the rows rather than get a choppy along the row sound ( personal choice! ) so will look to see if -say- a triplet could be played all on the pull or push.
For instance, in 'DG' speak, I can find a left hand D bass/chord either by pushing or pulling, so to save me remembering what I did ever time I scribble 'D<' for pull or 'D>' for push. It might change when I get more proficient with the tune, but having a reminder as to what I did and a pencil and eraser handy is useful when starting a tune!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal