Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeons paired with other instruments?  (Read 2522 times)

Melissa Sinclair

• Regular debater
  • Got my first squeeze... box(es)
    • Melissa's Melodeons
Melodeons paired with other instruments?
« on: February 03, 2017, 03:59:49 PM »

Excuse me if this has been asked ad nauseam, but I couldn't find the info with a simple search. Currently while I'm working I'm listening in the background to a mix of melodeon music from various YouTube uploads. Some are just melodeon, but many of them are paired with instruments. So, that got me curious. I know I've read here that X instrument for cajun, Y instrument for French, etc, but... what are the pairings? Instrument/type?

Say I was a professional melodeon player (like some of you are). What key(s) melodeon do you need to play the easiest (without the other players needing to transpose) For say... these instruments/voices?

Fiddle or violin? - or does it matter what style of music that fiddle is playing?
What about guitar?
Choral music?
Banjo?
flute?, etc

Or is not instrument driven, but what key styles of music tend to be written in? Is most Calypso the same key(s)? American Folk? French? I guess I would like to see some sort of chart that lists - playing calypso? Get a BLANK melodeon. Playing French - get GC. Playing German - get a CF... etc. Then it makes me wonder why I see some of these other keys. Last night I was snooping around and say a melodeon in the keys Bb and F. And there is A and D. Where/when is BbEb used?

If there is such a chart, can someone point it to me?
Plunking on my 1st box: Vintage burl Hohner in GC,  a lonely Hohner Liliput in CF, and a borrowed Streb to have a "silent Melodeon" and a melodeon of many keys!

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
Re: Melodeons paired with other instruments?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 04:39:45 PM »

A lot of the time the other instrument is the one to adjust - guitars can use capos, Boehm flutes can play equally easily in any key.

Cajun music is mostly in C but the fiddle sometimes retunes down.

Scottish music centres around a ten-note range of second-line G to first-leger-line B, in two sharps.  But it extends beyond that.  Hungarian music is tonally very similar but nobody uses melodeons for it.

French bal folk is mostly in white notes or one sharp (hence G/C).

Klezmer (which you probably won't be doing at first) centres around a range from C below the staff to G above it, in two flats and a sharp.

Irish and English music mostly use the tin whistle's effective range - D below the staff to B above it, one or two sharps.  Hence D/G.  Except in Suffolk where they play a tone down in C and places in Ireland where they play a semitone up in E flat.

Arabic music tends to focus somewhere around C dorian, Turkish music around D dorian, and Greek music around E dorian, but all have far too many commonly played variations beyond that for any melodeon to cope with.

Chinese music is most often in F, with excursions to Bb or C.
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

deltasalmon

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 04:41:39 PM »

Fiddle or violin? - or does it matter what style of music that fiddle is playing?
What about guitar?
Choral music?
Banjo?
flute?, etc

All of the above are chromatic instruments that are capable of playing in every key (aside from maybe flute depending on what kind of flute it is) so it really depends on the genre of music.

A lot of trad/folk music is in A/D/G which are considered "fiddle friendly" keys (I'm pretty terrible at playing the fiddle though so none of them really seem friendly to me).
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Jack Campin

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 04:51:10 PM »

The 5-string banjo is so difficult to retune that nearly all old-time/bluegrass/country/Americana where it features is in G.

Tenor banjo is an entirely different beast.  I've never met a tenor banjo player who complained about odd keys.

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 04:52:50 PM »

Some people think that Bb/Eb gives a good range to accompany voices. I like it because many of the pieces I play are in A minor for the G/C box. If I were to finger that key on a Bb/Eb then it would come out in C minor. Often the lowest common bass reed is a C, so that means the lowest note for my favourite tunes is the key note.
As far as pairings, clarinet and soprano sax are common mates - especially for French, but they can comfortably play in whatever key you fancy. They add 2 sharps to your key, so if you play in D, they are in E.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Melissa Sinclair

• Regular debater
    • Melissa's Melodeons
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 04:54:55 PM »

All of the above are chromatic instruments that are capable of playing in every key (aside from maybe flute depending on what kind of flute it is) so it really depends on the genre of music.

A lot of trad/folk music is in A/D/G which are considered "fiddle friendly" keys (I'm pretty terrible at playing the fiddle though so none of them really seem friendly to me).

Yes, of course, but I know when I was playing horn that I rather hated when a piece would come along where it had either a bazillion flats or sharps. When you're used to mostly playing with Bb and then all of a sudden playing 3 sharps! It doesn't fly as easily (of course, you learn it, but it's a slower learn than in a typical key)
Plunking on my 1st box: Vintage burl Hohner in GC,  a lonely Hohner Liliput in CF, and a borrowed Streb to have a "silent Melodeon" and a melodeon of many keys!

Melissa Sinclair

• Regular debater
    • Melissa's Melodeons
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 04:56:33 PM »

Some people think that Bb/Eb gives a good range to accompany voices. I like it because many of the pieces I play are in A minor for the G/C box. If I were to finger that key on a Bb/Eb then it would come out in C minor. Often the lowest common bass reed is a C, so that means the lowest note for my favourite tunes is the key note.
As far as pairings, clarinet and soprano sax are common mates - especially for French, but they can comfortably play in whatever key you fancy. They add 2 sharps to your key, so if you play in D, they are in E.

That is good to know. I love the sound of the BbEb.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 07:33:15 PM »

The 5-string banjo is so difficult to retune

No, I won't say it, tempting as it is...............
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

melodeon

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 10:06:01 PM »

"The 5-string banjo is so difficult to retune that nearly all old-time/bluegrass/country/Americana where it features is in G"

POC....    Most clawhammer players (such as I) retune regularly as many tunes are "tuning specific". Not at all uncommon nor difficult.

Banjo and single row accordeons make a great team.

gettabettabox

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 12:17:11 AM »

Staccato rules for dance!   (:)

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 12:58:08 AM »

Has a 5 String Banjo ever successfully been tuned?  >:E  :|glug
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2017, 02:11:58 AM »

"The 5-string banjo is so difficult to retune that nearly all old-time/bluegrass/country/Americana where it features is in G"

POC....    Most clawhammer players (such as I) retune regularly as many tunes are "tuning specific". Not at all uncommon nor difficult.

I agree, It's a good paring.
I know some players that tune on the fly mid tune for effect of course (:) I think Earl Scruggs did this a bit.
I like the guitar or piano as a pair as well, when played well I think these instruments make the box sound better.IMO
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2017, 11:32:52 AM »

Has a 5 String Banjo ever successfully been tuned?  >:E :|glug

It's easier to use a mute.
Save
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

The Blues Viking

• Respected Sage
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2017, 11:48:01 AM »

Cajun music is mostly in C but the fiddle sometimes retunes down.

What Cajun music I have encountered (and it's not all that common here in Michigan) has been (mostly) in G but most Cajun boxes are in C; Cajun accordion players get creative about getting around the missing 7th.

TBV

The Blues Viking

• Respected Sage
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2017, 12:04:04 PM »

To better address the OP's question, my own experience involves playing around a campfire at large Medieval camping events, where one is likely to find oneself playing with all types of instruments, plucked, strummed, blown, or bowed. I found early on that I wasn't going to play well with everyone as long as I was playing a diatonic, so I decided to concentrate on playing with fiddles, guitars and the occasional Highland bagpipes. An A/D seems to work best for me.

TBV

EDIT: BTW, I find A/D excellent for American folk.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 12:06:14 PM by The Blues Viking »

Jack Campin

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2017, 01:00:39 PM »

Highland bagpipes usually play about a semitone above written pitch, so you want Bb/Eb rather than A/D.  But their scale is so weirdly tuned (and variable, every band has its own tuning) that it's unlikely ever to sound good with a melodeon of any pitch.  (Fiddles can do better, since they can adjust intonation on the fly).

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2017, 09:00:51 PM »

If you play melodeon in a session with a set of Highland bagpipes it doesn't matter what key you play in   :P

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2017, 09:22:14 PM »

There was a harpist whom I shouldn't name, who was asked how she prepared for playing the Mozart Flute and Harp concerto. She was married to a flute player too.
She joked that when she played it with Jimmy (Galway) she tuned a bit sharp, when she played it with Wibb (Bennett) she tuned a bit flat, and that when she played it with her husband, she didn't tune at all.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Melissa Sinclair

• Regular debater
    • Melissa's Melodeons
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2017, 09:25:31 PM »

There was a harpist whom I shouldn't name, who was asked how she prepared for playing the Mozart Flute and Harp concerto. She was married to a flute player too.
She joked that when she played it with Jimmy (Galway) she tuned a bit sharp, when she played it with Wibb (Bennett) she tuned a bit flat, and that when she played it with her husband, she didn't tune at all.

That is so funny. ;D ;D

Sage Herb

• Steve Harrison
  • Slaithwaite, UK
    • The Black Box Band
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2017, 10:26:18 PM »

True that many bluegrass banjoists stick to open G tuning but, as melodeon says, most frailers in the old time style use several tunings. I use four, but some use many more. The late Rufus Crisp of Allen, Kentucky reputedly used eighteen.
Cheers
Steve
Hohner Erikas & Club 2s
Hohner gob-harps:
Vega Senator 5-string banjo; Alex Burns plectrum guitar

Black Box Band - www.theblackboxband.co.uk
Annie Dearman & Steve Harrison - www.dearmanharrison.co.uk
Phoenix - www.phoenixdanceband.co.uk
http://soundcloud.com/sage-herb
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal