Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what straps?  (Read 4279 times)

Jonathan Arnett

what straps?
« on: February 05, 2017, 02:47:39 PM »

New to all this. Waiting to pick up my first Melodeon. (When the kids are better and I can escape.) Well I'm going to need straps or at least a strap. Was wondering where you get them from? Had a look on Hobgoblin and I could buy another Melodeon for the price. Sure I saw someone using a Camera strap. Had a look on ebay and mostly Accordion straps available. Or are they the same?
Sorry if this is a dumb question but I don't want to waste money on something that won't work. Will be playing at home with the box on my knee. Not jigging about with a bunch of Morris dancers.... But don't want the thing slipping onto the floor and smashing into matchwood. My Spell checker doesn't even know what a Melodeon is. Keeps changing it to Mellon. So if I start going on about Mellon's you know what I mean.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Re: what straps?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 02:50:52 PM »

There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 02:58:32 PM »

I have a holdall strap that I use for 'strapless' boxes ;)

Any adjustable strap that you have kicking around will do, if it has a clip on fitting and doesn't fit the strap brackets use a ring from a key ring, don't rush to spend money at this stage. 

If you can wait for the slow boat from China you an get straps for <£10* (for 2) on the 'bay ...they're vinyl and won't last as long as leather but OK 'til better ones can be justified

* I'm waiting for some at the mo, paid £8.68 including delivery (!)
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 03:01:41 PM »

The width, length and padding of a strap depends on the size, weight of both the box and you.
I have asked Charlie seemingly stupid questions before, and had prompt helpful answers, so if you email him the box model, and whether you are very tall, broad etc he'll give you good advice. Theo also sells straps, and you can pm him directly here.
Straps are not really to stop you dropping the box, but to play comfortably without gripping.
There are a surprising number of options available if you want to search straps here. I'm a 2 strap person, others prefer one longer one.

I notice that Daddy Long Les here has rejigged straps a few times to find the right solution, and he or someone else might have some lightly used ones...
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 03:11:41 PM »

I used a sports bag strap to try it out, but I was still unsure whether I was going to use a strap at all. Eventually, I bought some second-hand (although unused) plain unpadded leather ones off here, and then some (second-hand) fancy padded leather ones from eBay.
After a lot of trying, experimenting and generally clarting about, I now don't use a strap with my 1-rows, and the unpadded ones with my 2-row.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 04:13:37 PM »

A length of nylon web strap from the outdoors store and 2 delrin 3 bar slide buckles makes the nicest, cheapest, strongest melodeon strap going....
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 05:13:05 PM »

Definitely Charlie Marshall. I don't know his secret, but he seems to know what I need before I do, and have it in the post before I've placed the order (OK, he doesn't have second sight, but he's pretty damn close!)  He stocks a wide range of straps, and his knowledge, patience, helpfulness and customer care are equally beyond reproach.  Did I mention I was a satisfied customer.....?

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Jonathan Arnett

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 05:30:32 PM »

Thank you thats very helpful.

tom f

• Regular debater
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 08:59:29 PM »

I swear by Mally Straps marketed by Dave Mallinson music.  Look under accessories on his website. 

Huw Adamson

• Good talker
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 10:13:10 PM »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scarlatti-Accordions-Padded-Strap-Melodeon/dp/B000W09TX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486332487&sr=8-1&keywords=melodeon+strap
Here are what I have, on my D/G pokerwork. Before that I just had the one thin leather strap, and the upgrade practically doubled the length of time I can play for. Versatile, and when I'm in a hurry or whatever I can sling both straps onto one shoulder. Certainly not made of fine silks and satins like some of the straps I have seen, but more than serviceable for me. Mind you, unless my memory is failing me they were closer 20 quid when I got them.
And the sharks they played melodeon

Graham Spencer

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 06:06:13 AM »

I swear by Mally Straps marketed by Dave Mallinson music.  Look under accessories on his website.

Yes, they're good; I have one on one of my Hohner 2915s.
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Steve C.

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2017, 01:47:01 PM »

The Mally Strap is nice.  Steve very nicely supplied one with my new Streb.  They are very well made and looooong.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2017, 03:38:01 PM »

I have a suede leather strap on one of my boxes, which I wish I could find out, where it came from. It's lively, soft, and non slip.

Sir John

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Graham Spencer

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2017, 04:12:44 PM »

The Mally Strap is nice.  Steve very nicely supplied one with my new Streb.  They are very well made and looooong.

But about an inch and a quarter shorter than Charlie's extra long!  ;D   Seriously, though, they are good - comfortable & not too stiff, and plenty of adjustment.  Mine came in a bag of assorted straps I bought on eBay; it was brand new and the whole batch (some of which were just junk, of course) probably cost me about the same as a Mally strap's retail!

Graham

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2017, 04:32:30 PM »

The whole question of one vs two straps, long or short is a very personal one and is one you will probably change your mind about quite a bit in the early months. I know I certainly did. Although now a happy two-strapper courtesy of Ed Rennie who gave me a second strap during the first of his beginner workshops I ever attended nevertheless I struggled to get the strap set-up right for months.  My advice would be not to expect to get this right first time and really not to worry until you have your first box in your hands and can get used to the weight and feel of it, then experiment and don't be disheartened by a bit of discomfort at first as your body adjusts.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Steve C.

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2017, 05:09:23 PM »

Another good reason not to spend too much at first...

Jonathan Arnett

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2017, 06:22:32 PM »

Thanks you guys are amazing.

David A

• Good talker
  • Serenellini Lady D/G
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2017, 09:04:14 AM »

I bought my first melodeon from Hobgoblin at Sidmouth Folk Festival. It was secondhand and had only one strap. Then I went to Ed Rennie's beginners sessions and he advised two so that your box is in the same position whether you are sitting or standing. So I went back to Hobgoblin and they gave me a second strap at no charge  (:). Much prefer using two straps as this also means I can have both hands free without needing to put my box down.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2017, 05:04:02 PM »

Yes, Hobgoblin are good like that. I got a friendly padded pair from Theo and they still remain my favourites. I've never been able to get on with single straps as I don't seem to have the right shape of body (I suspect it was a Friday afternoon job.)
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2017, 05:11:13 PM »

I sent off for one of these today, just to see what they are like. Look like they might do the job.

http://www.banggood.com/SLR-DSLR-Camera-Neck-Shoulder-Strap-Belt-Vintage-For-Canon-Nikon-p-930569.html?rmmds=search

Sir John

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal