Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stuck buttons. Help!  (Read 4310 times)

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
Re: Stuck buttons. Help!
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2017, 05:08:02 PM »

Glad you got the rig to save the gig! :)
If you were a little closer I'd help you,if you trust me. I'm in the other Rockport (motif #1)

I know that some use of powdered graphite is ok but I would note on my box the rough spots were where someone had use it on the keys that were sticking. I would think that if you had two solid surfaces where the power would slide against itself no problem but where it has the ability to get stuck in the wood and then grind against the axle? It is just a fine rock so it will grind.
I could be wrong the spots may have been there and then graphite was used.

Good luck
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2017, 05:23:34 PM »

but where it has the ability to get stuck in the wood and then grind against the axle? It is just a fine rock so it will grind.

That is complete and utter hogwash.  Graphite is many many times softer than steel or even brass,  it is a superb lubricant and has no grinding properties at all. 
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2017, 06:57:32 PM »

Like I said "I could be wrong". but it appeared to have done something and only where the powder was?
All the other levers did not have powder residue and axle had no other areas of roughness.
Speaking of roughness ;)
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2017, 07:02:53 PM »

The powder would presumably have been placed where the buttons were already sticking. So a consequence, not a cause of the sticking.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

gettabettabox

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2017, 07:22:01 PM »

Like I said "I could be wrong". but it appeared to have done something and only where the powder was?
All the other levers did not have powder residue and axle had no other areas of roughness.
Speaking of roughness ;)

You have to mention... or recommend "oil" ... to really feel forum roughness. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 07:24:10 PM by gettabettabox »

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2017, 07:47:54 PM »

Apologies for my grumpiness!  I've had to deal with a lot of web hosting problems over the past three weeks,  not just melnet, but my own sites too.  "Customer Service" seems like some sort of bad joke.  I *think* I've fixed the last problem today, so I will he wreathed in smiles from now on👍😀
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2017, 11:50:28 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  :||:
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2017, 09:02:19 AM »

but where it has the ability to get stuck in the wood and then grind against the axle? It is just a fine rock so it will grind.

That is complete and utter hogwash.  Graphite is many many times softer than steel or even brass,  it is a superb lubricant and has no grinding properties at all.

Theo is quite right.
Graphite is very soft (between 1 and 2 on Mohs' scale of mineral hardness). The lubrication property of graphite is due to its macro-molecular structure of flat sheets consisting of tessellated hexagonal units of 6 carbon atoms. These sheets can easily slip over each other and give rise to the slipperiness of the graphite powder or flakes.

I think any perceived problem with graphite is where people use ground-up pencil 'lead' graphite, which is not pure graphite, but is mixed with a binding agent, usually clay of some sort. Harder grade pencils have a higher proportion of clay. The clay is harder than the graphite and tends to disrupt the sheet structure mentioned above and also binds to wood surfaces in the same way that a fine grit would.

Therefore you should use pure graphite powder as a lubricant, which is fortunately readily available through locksmiths' suppliers or good DIY shops.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2017, 04:04:16 PM »

UPDATE: Now it's happening to other keys on the box. I'm thinking definitely warping because of cold/dry. I will be sending this off for repair. Will this box ever be healthy for performance for me?
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2017, 04:21:54 PM »

I'm a "no=nothing", but if you believe the problem to be, indeed, "warping because of cold/dry" then why do you think that sending it away for repair is going to fix it?
Surely you need to sort out the environment where the box is kept/played? If that cannot be accomplished, then you're throwing good money after bad. Perhaps you're right, and the box will never be healthy for you in your current location?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2017, 04:53:20 PM »

Dry weather would cause the hole in the lever to shrink slightly if the wood use for lever wasn't completely dry when made. No glue chair makers use this to their advantage spreaders are completely dry and legs are wet when holes are made and the chair is made, when the leg wood dries the hole shrinks which tightens around the spreader. Good for chairs not for melodeons (:)

So I would think a trip to repair shop would help.

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2017, 05:12:45 PM »

If its spreading look to see if there is any movement of the whle keyboard. Either up or down because the tow inner screws are loose or worse there is a curve accross the key board end to end,were it is warped.Pull the bellows pins at the treble end detatch the end and you wiil see the srews. Careful theres a seal on the bellows ends. You should be able to see that. Most warped keyboards I have seen have been vintage and it is unlikely.If the angle of the board changes as in vintage boxes the a small degree of fettling may be needed. I doubt its that serious might just need tightening. If the long pin that holds the pallot action is bent that could be a problem its only like mechano  so you could have a go or send it off. Its probably not that serious but if you dont know what you are looking at can be disheartening. Good luck
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2017, 05:42:27 PM »

Hi gary just noticed you are in France. I am in Normondy St Sever for a while were are you? Would not be close??
Or looking at the website are you in Maine not close.Its the french interest
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 05:47:37 PM by folkloristmark »
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2017, 08:14:39 PM »

... if you believe the problem to be, indeed, "warping because of cold/dry" then why do you think that sending it away for repair is going to fix it?
My assumption was that it wouldn't keep warping. Just that it would warp because of new climate, then stop when it acclimates. I will send it out because, as much as I believe, I may very well be wrong, and my repair guy won't charge me if he can't fix it.

Its probably not that serious but if you dont know what you are looking at can be disheartening. Good luck

I hope so, and INDEED!
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2017, 04:44:19 PM »

Let me share the end of this chapter.

After our exchange about the stuck buttons, the box kept getting worse. More and more buttons sticking. In the end, five were sticking. I arranged to ship it to the Button Box for a look. There was a waiting list. They called me this week and said they are ready and I should ship it. Today, while packing it up to send, I gave it a flourish, and realized it was working perfectly fine. Not only do the buttons not stick, they work completely freely. So I'm not sending it for repair, I will simply continue to observe and play the heck out of the thing while I have the opportunity.

So, this is extremely great news for me ... but I have to admit to bafflement. I can't even pretend to know what happened. Theories welcome.

Thanks everyone for your support!

Gary

Grape Ape

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2017, 10:28:34 PM »

Gnomes.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2017, 11:01:08 PM »

Bad dream? hopefully not a reoccurring one.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2017, 12:50:43 AM »

Let me share the end of this chapter.

... but I have to admit to bafflement. I can't even pretend to know what happened. Theories welcome.

Gary

Climate change (local, not global warming  :D )?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal