Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Elbow pain  (Read 1460 times)

CliveC

• New Starter
Elbow pain
« on: February 07, 2017, 02:06:22 PM »

Hi
I've recently got a new box which is nice to play and is encouraging me to learn properly and practice more. It's great but I have started getting quite a painful right elbow. I'm told it may not be the elbow itself that's an issue but the fact that I'm using my fingers more than before, suddenly.
Has anyone experienced similar issues and I was wondering if there was anything I could may do such as set the straps differently or something

Many thanks

Clive

squeezecat

Re: Elbow pain
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 10:58:32 AM »

I'm no veteran, but here's my experience.

I started out on a PA and had reeeaaally bad elbow pain, so bad i would just have to stop playing. It lessened slightly once i'd switched to the melodeon. After playing around a bit with positioning for a few months I realised it was caused by having the keyboard too far to the right and/or too high up.

Adjusting my straps to have the keyboard closer to the middle of my chest solved it for me, and also allowed me to move the box closer to my chin which (for me) improves hand position (as it relates to the air button) and bellows control.

That said, I see people playing large boxes in positions that would utterly destroy my right arm (JK being one), so there's definitely other (probably physiological) factors involved. Maybe a certain amount of muscle strength can overcome it.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 11:11:33 AM »

Voltarol Emugel.
  _       _    _      _ 

gettabettabox

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 11:15:36 AM »

Voltarol Emugel.

What system does he play?  ;D

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 12:28:45 PM »

In my case the real pain reason was the a lot of work with the computer - preparing the release of tunes played accordions during breaks
Koch Bb/Eb 12b 3v : Koch A/D 8b 2v : Koch C/F 12b 2v : Hohner Erica C/F 8b 2v : Hohner Erika C/F 2.4 row 8b 2v : Hohner early pre-Corona F/Bb/Eb 12b 2v: Hohner Liliput 2.4 row Bb/Eb 8b 2v : Hohner Club III BS C/F 2.7 row 8b 3v : Galotta D/G 8b 2v : Meinel & Herold G/C/F 16b 2v : Unkn G/C 8b 2v : Petersburg accordion F/Bb/Eb 16b 3v: Petersburg accordion G/C/F 16b 2v : Bandoneon Alfred Arnold 128 tone 2v : Bandoneon Wilhelm König 144 tone 2 v

CliveC

• New Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 02:28:20 PM »

Thanks Guys, much appreciated. I'll give experiment with positioning. In the meantime I'm sure the voltarol will help in the short term!  :D

Walleye

• Good talker
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 02:44:46 PM »

Hi Clive,

Come through into surgery....

It's sometimes hard to localize elbow pain.  If you have discomfort when you flex (bend) or extend (straighten) the elbow, then it's likely to be joint related.  If that's okay then...

When standing, with arms at side and palms facing forward so that the little finger is towards the thigh and thumb pointing outward (called the "anatomic position), if you have pain on the medial (inside) of the elbow it's probably "medial epicondylitis" whereas if your symptoms are on the outside of the elbow it's called "lateral epicondylitis".  It refers to a type of inflammation--tendonitis of either the flexor (wrist bending and fingers bending) or the extensor (wrist straightening or fingers straightening) muscle groups that attach to either the inner (medial) or outer (lateral) aspect of the elbow.

Unfortunately, once the inflammation has set in, time, change and ibuprofen like medication are needed.  So, bending on which side of the elbow, you've probably been irritating the muscle-tendon group of that area.  Resting the elbow (stop practicing for a bit) maybe a little ice massage, ibuprofen and time will help.  For it not to continue or recur, however, you need to examine the position of your wrist/fingers to get to a more neutral position so as not to continue to put undue stress on that particular area.  If that doesn't take care of it, sometimes your GP can inject the area with a little Novocaine/Prednisone to reduce the inflammation, but the important thing is to try to figure out why it happened in the first place and avoid the same positioning-stress.

Good luck!

Wally from Minnesota (an old GP)

stevejay

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 04:51:43 PM »

Watch the advil and ibuprofen they are bad for your kidneys and liver.

Have you considered yoga? I found it helped me with neck and shoulder pain, as well as trying to improve posture.

Even the very mild and easy exercises seem to help.

Walleye

• Good talker
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 07:55:25 PM »

Good point. Small amount for just a few days should be tolerated. Can also cause stomach problems and worsen asthma or high blood pressure though usually seen in higher doses, longer use. Should not had taken by diabetics either. Everything has side effects.

911377brian

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 08:35:58 PM »

Even melodeons..

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 08:40:51 PM »

But not slide effects.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 10:36:38 PM »

I would say simply change how you're holding it. If you're playing single strap, try 2 strap. If you're playing 2 strap, try sitting down, single strap. The right elbow really shouldn't be under much stress when you're playing; your left, yes, but if you're sitting, playing with a single long strap, then it should be no effort at all on that part of the body. Also experiment with thumb position, you can place it behind the fingerboard, on the edge of the fingerboard, or if you're feeling really flash, keep it free and use it as an extra finger. Whichever way, it shouldn't press on the melodeon treble with any force at all... and if it does you should alter your posture and strap length until it doesn't. Finally, do you push/pull with your right hand as well as your left? If so, try to avoid that, and let your left hand do the work. Some players do (deliberately) play moving the bellows with their right hand, but it's probably not going to work for you.

Cheers,

Clive
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal