Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: John Kirkpatrick  (Read 5170 times)

martinpratt

Re: John Kirkpatrick
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2017, 01:54:48 PM »

Reminds me of the memorable Monday morning at Sidmouth that JK turned up with a grusome Black Eye acquired the night before when he was dancing. I think that was his 70th birthday also.  For readers who have never taken part, JK's Festival Band is by far the best workshop of the week simply for the banter and repartee (and some cracking tunes).

I spent a most educating weekend with him at Halsway Manor last year at Melodeon Weekend. Unlike some "stars" he effortlessly come down to the level of the student (in my case very low).

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2017, 02:57:19 PM »

I have not seen John, but will presume to echo the appreciation. Even though I don't play much English, I do listen to an awful lot of it. His approach and knowledge (his fiery trad-positive writings) have had an effect on me. At the moment I'm listening to the new "Best Live" Brass Monkey set (30th anniversary celebration). I love this outfit. I think Carthy and Kirkpatrick have always brought out the best in each other.
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2017, 03:50:17 PM »

Agree with what everyone says but would add that he is a great tutor, spent a very good weekend in his workshops at Darlington a few years ago (along with Theo). I went to the beginners in the morning and the advanced in the afternoon, both interesting in different ways.

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2017, 05:24:00 PM »

And of course, he writes some of the best tunes ever...some have even become traditional  :|glug

Baz (who agrees with Q about the Bedlams reinventing border...) :|glug :|glug
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2017, 06:18:45 PM »

Yes Baz reminds me, his tunes are excellent, and I feel his sense of humour comes through. Possibly because he knows they turn your brain inside out!
.... And Baz, I knew you'd agree with me about Border  (:)
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2017, 10:44:04 AM »

Listening to John Kirkpatrick on the "Morris On" LP was the reason I took up melodeon. Only later to discover, that he played concertina and button accordian on the record....

I realise some years ago how amazing he is when I saw/ heard him play "Blaze Away" on his button accordian. Playing the melody with right hand and counter melody with his left hand on the basses.
I wish I could find a YouTube video of him playing it...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 10:48:26 AM by Alan Morley »
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2017, 05:06:24 PM »

And of course, he writes some of the best tunes ever...some have even become traditional  :|glug

Baz (who agrees with Q about the Bedlams reinventing border...) :|glug :|glug

Most of the French musicians I have met are convinced that Jump at the Sun is a traditional French tune.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2017, 06:01:55 PM »

Most of the French musicians I have met are convinced that Jump at the Sun is a traditional French tune.

It works so well for Chapeloise.
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2017, 06:07:56 PM »

Funny story from The Session

I heard a funny story last night about this tune. I learned this from my brother in the UK but a couple of people here in Quebec learned the tune from a festival in France. For over a year they knew the tune as John Patterson. You try saying Jump At The Sun with a French accent!

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2017, 07:01:08 PM »

Reminds me of the memorable Monday morning at Sidmouth that JK turned up with a grusome Black Eye acquired the night before when he was dancing. I think that was his 70th birthday also.   

Time traveller as well as accordion maestro! John will be 70 this coming August.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2017, 07:45:24 PM »

Reminds me of the memorable Monday morning at Sidmouth that JK turned up with a grusome Black Eye acquired the night before when he was dancing. I think that was his 70th birthday also.   

Time traveller as well as accordion maestro! John will be 70 this coming August.

Graham
Also not sure if it was the same black eye as the one we saw him with when he played the Greystones in Sheffield a few years ago..is that time travel too?
M

folkbluesnbeyond

• Respected Sage
    • Folkbluesnbeyond
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2017, 02:56:19 PM »

https://youtu.be/jbSWWIJBYuQ

mentioned in thread, both clips utilise the new melodeon.

Best...

Bill

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2017, 03:22:46 PM »

thanks for that Bill, lovely to see John in full flow.
I'd love to get a closer look at that Pariselle. I've seen several of the ones made on the course, usually 2.5 row/14 basses and they have a characteristic large keyboard. i.e. there seems to be a space between the half row and the case/grill.
Just wondering what a 2 row 8 bass made by the master himself looks like.
Will have to bite my lip in anticipation and try and bump into John at Sidmouth!
Curious of Devon  ;)
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

rileycat

• Respected Sage
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2017, 03:38:20 PM »

Within the limits of my poor speakers, that sounds like a superb instrument.  I remember squeezy trying to get a box that had the 4 stop sound, but 2 rows - seems like this could be it??  I think I'd really like one, if only!! John is as mighty as ever and reminds me of the power of traditional music and song.  Thanks for posting this little breath of fresh air.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2017, 04:13:38 PM »

Yes I too was enjoying the sound, but as you rightly say, it depends on your speakers and the recording device that captured the performance.
....but it had a good full sound to my ears!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2017, 11:17:01 AM »

One little commented on aspect of JK is his singing, not just that it is good but that he can make himself heard over a melodeon without straining himself or resorting automatically to mikes.  That is down to really good vocal production technique.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that he had been a choirboy.  If so that would figure.  The training of a chorister so that by age 13 they can be heard, solo, in a large church or cathedral would develop that effortless grace that John shows.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2017, 08:11:08 AM »

Jump at the Sun is played at nearly every French Bal Folk, for Circassian Circle, and was described to me as 'Trad Burgoigne' (!) at Luzy Accordion Festival, in about 1995

I first heard J@tS at Cambridge St Lawrence FC in 1972 when we booked John.  'Blaze Away' was his teenage party piece (first heard personally at a 1970 Folk camp).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 08:14:20 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2017, 01:39:30 PM »

I first heard Jump at the Sun c.1969, when John played it in the pub after a Hammersmith Morris practice. Memory (which sometimes plays tricks on me!) tells me that this was the first time he played it in public.

Chris R. says that it is usually played in France for Circassian Circle, but in my (limited) experience of playing with French bands in the Dordogne and in Morvan, it was played for a Chapelloise.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2017, 03:46:54 PM »

I first heard Jump at the Sun c.1969, when John played it in the pub after a Hammersmith Morris practice. Memory (which sometimes plays tricks on me!) tells me that this was the first time he played it in public.

Chris R. says that it is usually played in France for Circassian Circle, but in my (limited) experience of playing with French bands in the Dordogne and in Morvan, it was played for a Chapelloise.

Defer to Bob's time spent with the infamous Hammersmith Morris. Don't 'remember ' J@tS from the Folk camp ... but my mind was on other things: especially a delightful young Dutch lady (who would know what dance it gets used for). :|glug
  _       _    _      _ 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal