Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Several questions (might keep adding more questions to same thread)  (Read 10705 times)

911377brian

Re: Several questions (might keep adding more questions to same thread)
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2017, 11:37:12 AM »

Piddling around on the thing means something different this side of the pond Melissa...just saying like... :|bl

richard.fleming

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2017, 02:09:03 PM »

Do you find you tend to do posts and blogs when you should really be wrestling with the box?
Old Paolo Sopranis in C#/D and D/D#

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2017, 02:26:36 PM »

I tried to buy a tutor from Yann Door's website, and got totally lost. So won't be buying from that site.

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2017, 03:18:54 PM »

Melissa: Am I right in understanding your second paragraph as stating that you are a bigamist? I thought that this was only legal in Utah!  >:E
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Melissa Sinclair

• Regular debater
  • Got my first squeeze... box(es)
    • Melissa's Melodeons
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2017, 08:07:09 PM »

Piddling around on the thing means something different this side of the pond Melissa...just saying like... :|bl

Ha! Well - here is the online dictionary definition:

Piddle: to spend time in a wasteful, trifling, or ineffective way; dawdle (often followed by around): He wasted the day piddling around. 2. Informal. (especially of children and pets) to urinate.

I'm going to guess you were thinking second definition?  :P
Plunking on my 1st box: Vintage burl Hohner in GC,  a lonely Hohner Liliput in CF, and a borrowed Streb to have a "silent Melodeon" and a melodeon of many keys!

Melissa Sinclair

• Regular debater
    • Melissa's Melodeons
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2017, 08:09:11 PM »

Melissa: Am I right in understanding your second paragraph as stating that you are a bigamist? I thought that this was only legal in Utah!  >:E

I was a bit confused as you didn't quote the statement, but that my spouse is an actuary and economist? He is ONE man who has education and works as both... not two men - one being an actuary and one being an economist... no.  ;D  One spouse is plenty enough! (But I do love him dearly...and he's being fully supportive of this accordion madness)
Plunking on my 1st box: Vintage burl Hohner in GC,  a lonely Hohner Liliput in CF, and a borrowed Streb to have a "silent Melodeon" and a melodeon of many keys!

Melissa Sinclair

• Regular debater
    • Melissa's Melodeons
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2017, 08:21:08 PM »

Do you find you tend to do posts and blogs when you should really be wrestling with the box?

First, this statement is a bit (more than a bit) judgmental and presumptive. I am looking for stress relief to my life. Music used to play that role for me. Writing plays that role for me (I've written blogs for an organization before and for my pleasure too). Finding community is a stress relief for me, as well, it is for most of us. It needs to be things I can do between obligations and I have never, ever had "one thing" that ticks all my boxes. We all spend our time where we need and want with leisure time. Right now, this is how I prefer to spend mine. And that hour a day with practicing is tops my body can handle anyway. I get elbow, hand pain if I do more. And, it's supposed to be a fun hobby and not a chore.

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2017, 08:25:06 PM »

First, this statement is a bit (more than a bit) judgmental and presumptive ... And, it's supposed to be a fun hobby and not a chore.

It may be presumptive and judgmental, but having kept an accordion blog since 2011, I completely identify. (It's funny cause its true). And, yes! Absolutely supposed to be fun. I found that when I used the box to procrastinate from actual work ... that was wonderful.
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2017, 05:03:15 PM »

Sorry Melissa, I understood you to say that you are married to an Actuary AND an Economist and I couldn't avoid being mischievous.  ;D
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2017, 05:18:16 PM »

And I always have trouble copy/pasting on here somehow!  :|bl
I'm a Yorkie!

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2017, 05:35:37 PM »

I tried to buy a tutor from Yann Door's website, and got totally lost. So won't be buying from that site.

You mean Yann Dour.

As far as I can see, he doesn't have one.  There are pages about him on other sites which are probably what you found.

He does appear to be on Facebook, maybe that would work.
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

Melissa Sinclair

• Regular debater
    • Melissa's Melodeons
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2017, 05:37:52 PM »

No, he does have a site... someone linked it to me the other day. Let me see if I can find it and I'll edit this post and include it.

ETA... well, probably not his site? Seems this is the publisher's site. http://www.editions-caruhel.com/
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 05:41:17 PM by Melissa Sinclair »

Jack Campin

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2017, 06:39:34 PM »

Well done.  They look a bit expensive for what you get, though.

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

Roger Howard

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2017, 08:17:40 PM »

It's no coincidence, though, that Yann Dour's méthode is so popular in France - it's clear, accessible and well thought out. Not my own favourite, but undooubtedly good.
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

TomBom

• Respected Sage
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2017, 08:31:20 PM »

26 € for a tutur book including a CD - that's expensive?? Oh well ...

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2017, 10:29:59 PM »

"26 € - that's expensive??"

I suppose it's all relative, isn't it? But it would seem expensive to me, as well. That's the sort of price I like to pay for melodeons!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Melissa Sinclair

• Regular debater
    • Melissa's Melodeons
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2017, 10:51:12 PM »

26 € for a tutur book including a CD - that's expensive?? Oh well ...

Getting a bit off topic with this comment, but it is interesting what prices things go for US and Europe. Books are relatively inexpensive in the US and the secondhand market is huge and strong. When a book is first published, it's pricey, but if it's in paperback, it's usually CHEAP. Wait a bit long for a top seller and it will start showing up in secondhand shops, ebay, and other used booksellers sometimes for as little as the cost of shipping.

Now this particular books is a specialty item with a CD, so you would never find that secondhand, but a quickly look on Amazon.com and some method books with CDs are available and they are $15 versus $25 USD, so yes, it doesn't "seem" expensive... but then that's because I think the US has that all a bit messed up (not compensating writers fairly).

Now, with that said, my husband is Croatian and we would buy kid books for our children when we would go to Croatia to visit. Because they are never published in huge amounts as there are only so many Croatian speakers, they were always so expensive. 90%of the kid's books we got in the US were secondhand and we paid $1-2 for, had to pay around $20 a book in Croatia and there was no secondhand books.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2017, 04:09:36 PM »

Melissa: Somebody (I daren't call her an "old" friend) gave me a £20.00 Amazon Voucher, so I've put it to buying those two books that you were given by an anonymous giver. They are considerably cheaper than Yann's lovely books, but I think they will do the job for me.

Chris B.
I'm a Yorkie!

Melissa Sinclair

• Regular debater
    • Melissa's Melodeons
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2017, 04:13:16 PM »

Melissa: Somebody (I daren't call her an "old" friend) gave me a £20.00 Amazon Voucher, so I've put it to buying those two books that you were given by an anonymous giver. They are considerably cheaper than Yann's lovely books, but I think they will do the job for me.

Chris B.

I'm looking forward to using those books too! I need to get to cross row play first (for the one), but that will be soon!

Jack Campin

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2017, 05:37:48 PM »

Nearly everything on that site seems to be 26 euros.  Reasonable for a tutor book, a bit much for a collection of 20-odd tunes.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal