Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wonders of You Tube  (Read 2574 times)

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
Wonders of You Tube
« on: July 14, 2009, 01:48:15 PM »

I think you tube has played an important part in my learning the melodeon. I taught myself John Spiers Frozen Gin from the cd and thought it was okay. When I looked at it being played by the man himself on you tube, I realised that he was playing it on the higher end of the instrument and that the accented notes were on the pull. It makes such a difference to the way it plays and it's punctuation. Seems sort of obvious when you see it. Bu**er was re learning it but well worth it. Found you tube videos of Brian Peters very instructive too, like Blossom and the Rain. (Clever man changing reed settings after each B part).
I would rather have the opportunity to see these people play live more and learn that way but not really possible for me.
cheers

Sandy
 (:)
p.s. Not as important as Mel.net though!!  ::)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Wonders of You Tube
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 01:54:05 PM »

Found you tube videos of Brian Peters very instructive too, like Blossom and the Rain. (Clever man changing reed settings after each B part).

More difficult when you have a beard (guess this does not trouble Sandy) and actually far harder than playing the tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLxfc7l63Pg

HallelujahAl

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 01:56:05 PM »

Hi Sandy - yes I think YouTube has played a big part in enabling and inspiring me to try and emulate some great melodeonistas out there. However, as you say nothing beats seeing them live and really getting a feel for how they approach their instrument. I can't afford to go to gigs and concerts very often - so YouTube has been very helpful - but I'd love to be able to go and see a few more really top players do their stuff in the coming years. That's why I can't wait till September for Graeme's Button Box Workshop. I want/need/am desperate to learn so much!
AL

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 02:08:16 PM »

Found you tube videos of Brian Peters very instructive too, like Blossom and the Rain. (Clever man changing reed settings after each B part).

More difficult when you have a beard (guess this does not trouble Sandy) and actually far harder than playing the tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLxfc7l63Pg

I somehow manage to swap fingers on the last note of the b part from first finger to third finger finger (hold it down))  and then reach to press the stops with my first finger. (just find it easier than using my chin, especially if you are playing standing up!)

cheers

Sandy
 (:)

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 06:57:34 PM »

Pretty much everything melodeon-specific I've learnt has come from either YouTube, melodeon.net or tutorial DVDs.  I guess I've learnt a little from CDs too, but that's a bit harder to pinpoint. 
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 12:40:17 AM »

Where I live, in Canberra Australia, there is very little opportunity to be with other players. Indeed I don't know of any sessions hereabouts, so mel.net is 'my' playing community and I find it encouraging and inspiring to read about how others are getting on with their playing and their instruments. I also find Youtube very helpful although needed to learn to play a bit before I could learn much from it. It was like listening to a new language at first.
Keep up the great work everyone ;D
I don't get 'jigs'

old geezer

• Regular debater
  • Hohner Melodeon
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 04:10:15 AM »

there is very little opportunity to be with other players.
where you at the National Folk Festival last April ?
I believe there where several melodeon players in the session tent having a good squeeze, till all hours.
rain, hail or shine cannot stop some.. who gotta drenchin' returning to the camp?
Jack Murphy    beyond the black stump

D_mentias

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 05:30:33 AM »

Canberra at Easter  has to be the best session in Oz. It starts in the session bar on Thursday night and finishes in the early hours of Tuesday morning. Of course there can be sessions in the campground before and after this... and yes I did get wet once or twice but coming from the Wimmera the rain was a real novelty.

Then close to Canberra is the Majors Creek Fest, the Bush traditions gathering and a bit further Nariel Creek at Xmas. Canberra is quite central!

I believe that the session bar in Canberra now has a world wide reputation on the folk scene, overseas visitors reckon they have never seen anything like it, it has become a venue in its own right.

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 12:58:43 PM »

I was indeed at the National in Canberra at Easter! It really got me fired up to learn the melodeon. Don't know if I have the confidence or knowledge to join in a session there though, but maybe by next Easter......
I don't get 'jigs'
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal