Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: John K's new instrument  (Read 2167 times)

rileycat

• Respected Sage
John K's new instrument
« on: February 14, 2017, 03:43:05 PM »

Thanks to Bill for posting a vid over in general discussion on John Kirkpatrick's Emanuel Pariselle made 4 stop 2 row.  I'd like to know more, but can't locate Emanuel's website/contact.  He seems to be very busy with courses on making melodeons, these days. Perhaps someone can assist?
Tony

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Re: John K's new instrument
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 04:18:35 PM »

I know he's got a Facebook page, but no idea as to where he advertises.
I've been wondering if the 'made' ones are special order and not a regular occurrence ....
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 04:24:14 PM »

I'd like to know more, but can't locate Emanuel's website/contact.  He seems to be very busy with courses on making melodeons, these days. Perhaps someone can assist?
Tony

What do you want to know?   I will see him next month at Halsway Manor.

I don't think he generally offers instruments for sale, but I can ask him.

He doesn't have a website but you can contact him via his facebook page.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

rileycat

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 05:16:44 PM »

Thanks, Theo

I'd like a similar instrument - LMMH, 8 bass, no frills D/G tuning - so if possible, can he say how much and how long or even if he'd consider it?  I've tried a 4 voice Salterelle in that tuning in the past, but way too heavy for me on the left end and rather muted.  I don't know of any others that have that 'raw' sound, so any help greatly appreciated, please.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 05:29:12 PM »

I can certainly ask when I'm at Halsway.  You could also email him yourself.  Email address is in the posts in News and Events  publicising the courses. http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,19362.0.html

Regarding the sound of the box I did the tuning on it fairly wet, but after JK had it for a couple of weeks he sent it back for more tremolo.  I think his spec was "at least as wet as a Hohner". It could be that the 4v Saltarelle just needs more tremolo!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 05:31:13 PM by Theo »
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

rileycat

• Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 06:06:58 PM »

Thanks once again, Theo.  The Saltarelle was actually ex squeezy some time back and I sold it, having had it re-tuned to try to brighten its tone, but defeated by its weight. Squeezy warned me of this before I bought it, but I felt it was worth a try as it really seemed to be the only box with a LMMH set-up in D/G.  As you will know, Saltarelles can be, shall we say, 'sturdily' built and this one was quite piece of wood!

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 09:27:42 PM »

Is JK performing at Halsway or building a box?

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 01:02:34 AM »

I think Theo meant that he would ask Emmanuel, not JK.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 07:10:32 AM »

I think Theo meant that he would ask Emmanuel, not JK.

Thanks Steve. That's a 'duh' to me I think  (:)

rileycat

• Respected Sage
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 10:12:32 AM »

I'll initially try the email link you've suggested, Theo - I was at Halsway last year on a different course with JK, when the 'Building' group were also there and shared a mealtime table with Eammanuel, so I know he's OK with English messages - my French being strictly school-boy.Thanks again for the above.

rileycat

• Respected Sage
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 08:21:57 PM »

Contact made successfully with Emmanuel, Theo. Your help greatly appreciated, as it saved a lot of faffing on my part trying to find the link.

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 08:41:48 PM »

I know it's a holy grail for many (myself included) to get a 2 row 4 stop LMMH box that they can actually play.  The LMMH Saltarelle Tara I sold to rileycat was too heavy for both of us in the end and when you looked inside it the guts of the instrument were fairly crammed in too so I think any box like this is likely to be on the heavy side.

What I think we should bear in mind watching those video clips of JK (which sound amazing) is that he's built like a prize-winning ox and has a long track record of being pretty unique in getting amazing bounce out of his B/C/C# that many of us would struggle to lift!

I just thought I'd leave that there.
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

triskel

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 12:28:31 AM »

I know it's a holy grail for many (myself included) to get a 2 row 4 stop LMMH box that they can actually play. The LMMH Saltarelle Tara I sold to rileycat was too heavy for both of us in the end and when you looked inside it the guts of the instrument were fairly crammed in too so I think any box like this is likely to be on the heavy side.

I see the weight of the Tara is 11lbs, which is exactly the same as my C#/D 4-voice treble, 5-voice bass, 1939 Casali, yet the Casali is a very responsive box that, even when treated gently, effortlessly produces a big full sound.

I'd suspect the problem with the Saltarelle is not so much to do with the actual weight of the instrument, but more likely due to the physical size of it at 8 1/2" deep (my Casali is only 7"), and it perhaps being stiffer than need be (due to materials and/or design), so feeling "heavy" on the left arm because it needs so much force to make it play...

Otherwise, Theo is right about more tremolo - you don't have to push a musette box as hard as a dry-tuned one, to get the same volume, and there's plenty of it on the Casali!  ;)

Mind you, I'm no fan of Saltarelles anyway, even Jackie Daly's own one that he's got me to play a couple of times.  :(

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 11:20:38 AM »

Mind you, I'm no fan of Saltarelles anyway, even Jackie Daly's own one that he's got me to play a couple of times.  :(

The last time I played Jackie's box it was seriously in need of a tune up  ;)
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 11:41:41 AM »

Probably revisiting old ground (and straying off topic)but weight,size and balance of box can certainly conspire to become a problem after an hour or sos playing - definitely did so for me with a Beltuna Alex 3, subsequently replaced. I wonder how heavy JKs box is (obviously light compared to the BCC#)
Easy to forget how physical box playing can be - and how poor posture can cause difficulties -particularly in later life for me.
Training and exercise regime for melodeon players required maybe ? ::)
Old Bones Dance Band

rileycat

• Respected Sage
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 03:58:43 PM »

I understand from Emmanuelle that he can 'lighten' the left arm effort by reducing the number of reeds in the bass and chord blocks. It reminds me of an 18 bass GCF Serrafini, which I regret selling, that had a really light left-end and played in sprightly fashion. Trouble was I got lost amongst all the buttons - 'nuff said! I wonder who's got it now?

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 04:58:46 PM »

certainly the melodeons made on courses have no thirds in the chords so that lightens things a tad
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal