Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Little MS  (Read 1124 times)

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
Little MS
« on: February 17, 2017, 01:46:09 PM »

Whilst researching the origins of Sam Fawcett's version of Castles in the Air, I came across a reference to the Little Manuscript (c.1775), which I think came from Dumfriesshire. I assume that Little was the name of the writer of the MS, since Little is a common name in that area, but several hours of Googling has uncovered no further details about this MS. Does anybody know Little's first name, where he lived or anything else about him or his MS?
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Hugh Taylor

• Respected Sage
    • Band web site: http://www.tumblingtom.co.uk
Re: Little MS
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 02:35:33 PM »

Bob,
Have you tried asking Chris Partington?
Hugh
Castagnari Mory D/G, Castagnari Tommy D/G, Saltarelle C/F, Hohner Erika A/D
Tumbling Tom Band

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 07:59:41 PM »

Good idea, Hugh. I might have thought of it if I wasn't so full of cold at the moment. I'll contact him tomorrow.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 08:58:33 PM »

Something at the back of my mind says Little was a she and it was a song manuscript, maybe known to Burns.

Castles in the Air is ultimately Bonny Kate of Edinburgh, which first turns up in late 17th century England.
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 10:48:31 PM »

Thanks Jack. My research reveals that the tune used for James Ballantine's dialect poem Castles in the Air, published in 1843, already existed under the title Bonny Jean of Aberdeen, or sometimes Bonny Jane. The earliest reference I have found was in the manuscript of Patrick Cumming of Edinburgh (1723-4). If you have an earlier reference to the tune under a different name, I would be interested to hear about it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal