Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Self playing accordeon  (Read 717 times)

folkloristmark

• Good talker
    • street entertainers
Self playing accordeon
« on: February 17, 2017, 03:03:20 PM »

Any one here interested in this accordeon player?For sale a hofbauer tanzbar. This is a self playing Accordion made by Hofbauer  who make the organs . A Tanzbar accordion made by Hofbauer in Germany. This is a Hohner accordion which plays automatically with a memory block. The "accordionist" pumps the air as with a normal accordion. It has a 12v battery inside which activates small solenoid valves. 5 memories , Charger spare battery.  I am sure Hofbuer still supply from their music I brought two 8 years ago.,What can I say unusual, rarity collectable mechanical music.I would like £1500. Located in France can post or bring to Uk on return,Many thanks.

To modify having read latter posts it is selfplaying button wise but you do have to operate the bellows as per
the usual  method.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 02:23:19 PM by folkloristmark »
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

stevejay

Re: Self playing accordeon
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 05:33:21 PM »

folkloristmark

• Good talker
    • street entertainers
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 08:59:06 PM »

Thanks
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

Garry Probert

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 07:55:03 AM »

Hi what a marvelous thing,
This is a Hohner accordion which plays automatically with a memory block.
That would be an internal sequencer ?is it programmable i'm thinking something like a midi controller?is it dedicated melodeon samples or could one imput differat samples?or a modern piano roll sort of thing?
many thanks

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 08:04:30 AM »

No samples, the description of
12v battery inside which activates small solenoid valves
suggests to me that it uses real reeds; the automatic mechanism simply operates those valves instead of you having to press buttons.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.fendragon.co.uk

Garry Probert

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 08:16:51 AM »

Hi i thought the small solenoid valves were just triggering bellows movement pre programmed sequencer ,your
suggests to me that it uses real reeds; the automatic mechanism simply operates those valves instead of you having to press buttons.
sounds far more interesting ,if it uses the existing reeds then one could possibly buy additional tunes from the supplier i,m not clear how the notes are actually triggered not the valves but the "sequencer ?" that determines what notes are triggered for the arrangement ?   

Garry Probert

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 08:19:49 AM »

Should have said ,if it has pre programmed tunes one could buy /programme additional tunes
I love it could be great fun i might be able to play /programme something comparable with darrens playing lol

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 08:23:49 AM »

There's a couple of examples on YouTube that give you more information. It seems to have a pianola - like mechanism.

Garry Probert

• Regular debater
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 08:34:01 AM »

Hi "pianola - like mechanism" that's great i couldn't find any info on them,i found a

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa3AasdHskQ

but wondered then what the 12v battery was for ,thought it was possibly a hybrid combination
gets more interesting with every post lol love to have a look inside

Garry Probert

• Regular debater
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 08:43:02 AM »

I interested because i have a close friend that restores clocks and musical boxes,I have all his old clock springs for reeds  and we were chatting about a mechanical roll triggering reeds ,pumping the bellows would just wind the spring thought it might be fun to have a liliput musical box ,but we spent the weekend trying his home brew lol and he,s overloaded with work so we shelved it

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 09:10:21 AM »

Hi "pianola - like mechanism" that's great i couldn't find any info on them,i found a

Yes, and about 12 seconds in he shows what look like a piano (pianola) roll inside...

Agreed it's odd if the air though the holes in the roll doesn't operate the reed directly and a bank of solenoids is needed. Or perhaps the pneumatic model is an older version... let the OP come back and explain?

Garry Probert

• Regular debater
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 09:46:00 AM »

Hi
Or perhaps the pneumatic model is an older version... let the OP come back and explain?
my thoughts too and would be nice to see the internals.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 10:05:05 AM »

It's unlikely that the air path through the piper roll would allow sufficient volume of air to sound the reeds.
Theo Gibb

Day job: The Box Place. Follow me on Twitter and please like my Facebook page
Night job: Sunniside Up! Ceilidh Band

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 11:03:05 AM »

but wondered then what the 12v battery was for ,thought it was possibly a hybrid combination
gets more interesting with every post lol love to have a look inside

The instrument in that vid is an older model that is entirely mechanical. It uses a similar system to a pianola with the music encoded on a paper roll.  No elctronics, no batteries.
Theo Gibb

Garry Probert

• Regular debater
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 11:22:40 AM »

Hi theo
It's unlikely that the air path through the piper roll would allow sufficient volume of air to sound the reeds.
that a good point 
I thought the bellows movement could just trigger a pre programmed/recorded tune ,dan a friend of darrens has a pokerwork with
an mp3 player inside ,the bellows are just ornamental but it has the little trumpets like those "forgot the name" big bass melodeons ,looks great i will get a picture and it also has a mini clock lol 

The Hofbauer.....if its all mechanical and has a piano like roll inside ,i want one ;D

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 12:05:23 PM »

Tanzbar is the name of the older mechanical model.  I tried one once, horrible thing to play. 
Theo Gibb

folkloristmark

• Good talker
    • street entertainers
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 02:21:20 PM »

Tanzbar is the german tradition of self player .The early ones were mechanical. The one in the vid is the same as mine its an early Hofbuer.  Still made. They are from the Self playing barrel Organ tradition and the germans have always played accordeon with barrel organ. I have seen whole orcheastras in Germany were they are all sequenced together to play one tune quite something this has a socket for that. It is real reeds and real air the same as accordeon indeed I am pretty confident it is a Hohner. However there are little magnetic solinoids that lift the pallets in sequence to the musical programme. You can still get the music for this from Hofbuer see their website. This one has changable cartrages about the size of a old eight track that hold the music sequance about 8 tunes each. The 12 volt battery powers this on the organs it also powers a blower in this case not needed as the player still has to operate the bellows as normal and that trigers the sequancer. On more modern models the triger is stored on modern storage flash card so many more tunes and much smaller I will post a picture of the organ block memory which is the sort of thing inside the cases. Music can still be brought at about £20 a tune as you are paying for the performance and reproduction copyrights.I have used this to do some gigs in the past and was always surprised how convincing it apperared to the public. (Not us) almost to the point of embaresment. I have been asked to play for dancing but fellow accordeonists.However i think it is a collectors or novelty thing they are quite expensive as you can see from the net I really dont know how this will go but thought I would see as its taking up space and I can play a little bit now so cant see it being used.Attached actual memory if you are interested you can goole the name on it.And a memory from a Pell organ that I assume is similar to what is inside the accordeon case.
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2017, 07:39:11 AM »

[[ADMIN]]

Off topic posts removed.

Please remember this is a fir sale topic.  General discussion of self playing melodeons should go in a new topic.
Theo Gibb

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.