Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Got a problem  (Read 3014 times)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Got a problem
« on: November 16, 2017, 09:56:39 PM »

Drove down to St Ives this morning and collected my melodeon. Mike Rowbotham has  fettled it with particular attention to the tuning. Now I have a problem. I can't stop playing it, any suggestions on  a cure?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
Re: Got a problem
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 10:20:30 PM »

Get Mike to convert it to another key
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

Microbot

• Respected Sage
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 10:23:24 PM »

Hi Greg

many thanks for that .... 'twas great to meet you.

Just a quick word on Greg's box ... if anyone else bumps into a decent-looking '80s Salterelle ... give it a serious look. The the reeds in his Piroulet are simply majestic and set this box apart.

After many years there are few times these days that I feel 'the worm of covetousness' .... But I let him leave with it (:)

cheers Mike R

(Hi Mark - saw your post - it's already in D/G and anyway, a box like this should never be converted. Look out for one!)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 10:30:20 PM by Microbot »

Guy

• Not quite enough melodeons....
    • Cats Claw
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 11:01:32 PM »

That's great to hear-I had this one for a while, but it just didn't work for me, so I passed it on. I'm glad it's gone to someone who will love it! Shows how much I know about reeds....

Cheers,
Guy
Guy, in South Wales

Cats Claw, http://www.cats-claw.co.uk

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 08:31:31 AM »

That's great to hear-I had this one for a while, but it just didn't work for me, so I passed it on. I'm glad it's gone to someone who will love it! Shows how much I know about reeds....

Cheers,
Guy

It's sounding really sweet, Guy. The layouts gone through a bit of a transformation as well. I think I have it the way I want, now. All I have to do, now, is learn to do it justice when I play it.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Randal Scott

• Respected Sage
  • Western USA
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 03:36:55 PM »

Now I have a problem. I can't stop playing it, any suggestions on  a cure?

Yes - get still another box. >:E

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 06:39:31 PM »

Yes, what can I say. In a parallel world (inhabited by me much of the time) some old 1930s PAs have fabulous reeds in 'em. I've just restored a Bertini and the reeds are all hand finished and sound fab-u-Lous darling... (:)

Randal Scott

• Respected Sage
  • Western USA
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 08:17:19 PM »

... some old 1930s PAs have fabulous reeds in 'em. I've just restored a Bertini and the reeds are all hand finished and sound fab-u-Lous darling... (:)

I concur.  I got a little Paolo PA some years back, and that's sung to me so as to cause me to learn the PA proper. The reeds are still singing as beautifully as my bigger, badder PAs.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 08:19:12 PM by catty »

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 10:30:06 AM »

Mike my suggestion was not to improve  the box but as a means of stopping It being played for a while as requested.
kindest regards
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 07:52:58 PM »

Drove down to St Ives this morning and collected my melodeon. Mike Rowbotham has  fettled it with particular attention to the tuning. Now I have a problem. I can't stop playing it, any suggestions on  a cure?

I think handcuffs would probably work.  A big cable tie would do at a pinch ;)
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Microbot

• Respected Sage
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 08:36:04 PM »

Yeah OK ...

but that Greg - he's one sly old dog and he'd probably get you to cable-tie him to the Piroulet.

... which would make tuning difficult!

Mike

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 08:41:44 PM »

Yeah OK ...

but that Greg - he's one sly old dog and he'd probably get you to cable-tie him to the Piroulet.

... which would make tuning difficult!

Mike

:D :D :D

Got separated from it today. Took the poker work out for a day of morrising. Great day. Ten sides playing for Pudsey at Tavistock.
Greg Smith

Microbot

• Respected Sage
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 09:04:05 PM »

well done!

.... there's gotta be a video?!...any chance of a link?

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 09:58:13 AM »

well done!

.... there's gotta be a video?!...any chance of a link?

I'm sure there will be many. One of the things about an event like this is everyone tends to be either dancing or playing something. As an experiment , I left my android thingy running during one of our sets. I'm sorting through it now. The camera angles and fields of view are pot luck and the sound was just from the on board mic (I had plans for better sound, but they came to nothing when the pressure to do it now came on :( ) Law of averages says some of it won't be too bad, though.

The format was a series of hourly slots with two sides dancing out together in each slot and a mass dance with the two outgoing and two incoming sides at each change over. I'll see what I can extract from my hour long video.
Greg Smith

JimmyM

• Regular debater
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 11:30:30 PM »

I'll sell you one of my 1040's  >:E

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 12:13:08 AM »

I'll sell you one of my 1040's  >:E

I would really like to try one
Greg Smith

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal