Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: fitting an internal mike to a shruti box  (Read 2793 times)

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
fitting an internal mike to a shruti box
« on: February 18, 2017, 10:41:51 PM »

Has anybody here ever seen a shruti box fitted with an internal mike?

Is there any reason why it couldn't be done?

If it can be done, how, who by, and how much?
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

Garry Probert

• Respected Sage
Re: fitting an internal mike to a shruti box
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 02:00:26 PM »

Hi jack in my experience fitting an internal mic is its usually fraught with problems,feedback direction placement ,the best most useable results i've had is with external clip on condensers.

I have shure and microvox systems clip on and swan neck both work very well i have experimented with mounting them inside on everything from banjos to my club2 blending the mix with say a 20% inside 80% it can give a warmth but its very dependant on the amplification.

I have a AER compact 60 had them for years absolutely great amps and will amplify just about acoustic really well with very natural sound and dont feedback at the drop of a hat
I don't think theres a budget shortcut to amplifying acoustic instruments, i've certainly never found it 
And as for the just bung an sm57 in it brigade as is the general suggestion ,don't get me started lol 

I would suggest quality condenser mics and a quality amp ,your sound is only as good as its weakest link 

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 06:56:46 AM »

Not a lot of room in there, would be worth trying a "bottle cap" contact mike since you don't have key noise to worry about.
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 11:23:20 PM »

I don't suppose you'd consider a midi shruti? I've heard surprisingly effective sampled instruments with this sort of role. I still think you'd have to spend a lot of money on a piano to out-sound a good digital piano once you amplify them.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 12:25:36 AM »

We've already got the shruti (my wife mostly uses it).  It's a very good one.  But we were in a situation last week where being able to simply plug it in to the local PA would have helped a lot.  And carrying extra clutter isn't on.

There may not be a good solution.  Putting the mike centrally inside the bellows flap might be one of the better places acoustically but would be structurally difficult.
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

Garry Probert

• Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 01:39:53 PM »

Hi jack there is no cheap and cheerful solution if you want a true representation of your acoustic sound.
I have tried all manner of bugs, piezo transducers dynamic mics buget options over the years and have reluctantly accepted the principle of the weakest link
I,m more than happy to spend £1000 on my beloved instrument ,but somehow begrudge spending £1000 on it acoustic amplification ,but i,m afraid with acoustic amplification you really do get what you pay for.

Nowadays even on my humble ukulele ,I use a mi-si trio pickup and condenser mic  the good news is there are lots of shure condenser clones that are very good

https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_small_diaphragm_mics.html

I now just bite the bullet and accept quality mics and ampliation mics are not a joy to own but are a nessesity to a quality sound     

Bruce Triggs

• Accordion Uprising
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 11:12:07 PM »

Before spending a ton of money, you might consider the cheap DIY option presented here:
https://youtu.be/gRAo4F8F4Sk

A simple non-condensor mic capsule wired up inside the bellows chamber (on the reed block in this accordion). Certainly an affordable experiment.
Bruce Triggs
Accordion Revolution: a People’s History of the Accordion in North America

2rightfeet

• Good talker
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 09:41:23 AM »

Many years back, I paid good money to have internal mics fitted to a melodeon. When I found out that what had been done was a slightly more sophisticated version of the cheap DIY option, I copied it.
Two cheap microphone capsules (to pick up the low and high notes more evenly) wired in parallel, clipped into light aluminium mounts or brackets in such a way that the mics were held between the rows of treble reed blocks, but slightly away from them. I won’t say it was hi-fi but it served me well enough in playing for ceilidhs, and it was of course extremely cheap.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal