Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: E /A tuning  (Read 2091 times)

Jimmy

• Respected Sage
E /A tuning
« on: February 21, 2017, 08:48:38 PM »

Hi a question.... has anyone ever played a  melodeon in E/A tuning? It seems a strange tuning (to me).
Too many accordions, selling some off cheap as chips.

Sage Herb

• Steve Harrison
  • Slaithwaite, UK
    • The Black Box Band
Re: E /A tuning
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 11:10:52 PM »

Yes, I have had an Erika converted to this tuning for many years. I use it to accompany singers (Vic Gammon & Annie Dearman) in keys of A (which of course could largely be done on an A/D box), E and F#m. I believe that rock'n'roll box players also favour E, though this isn't my territory.
Cheers
Steve
Hohner Erikas & Club 2s
Hohner gob-harps:
Vega Senator 5-string banjo; Alex Burns plectrum guitar

Black Box Band - www.theblackboxband.co.uk
Annie Dearman & Steve Harrison - www.dearmanharrison.co.uk
Phoenix - www.phoenixdanceband.co.uk
http://soundcloud.com/sage-herb

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 11:33:19 PM »

Probably not too many around.

I own a Hohner in low E/A, 3 semitones below a standard G/C; a little slow and air-hungry because of the weighted reeds on the low notes, but a great tone imho, and ideal for slower tunes in A, and accompanying songs in F#m (long story....). I converted this one from G/C.

I did play another Hohner E/A a while back, but a high E/A, two semitones above standard D/G. Looked like the reedblocks were original factory and stamped accordingly. Very squeaky at the top end; not my cup of tea. I far prefer to play lower pitched instruments at home (kinder to the ears), even though I tend to play out with a standard D/G because that's what is generally accepted as the weapon of choice at most venues I attend. However, high E/A is just a step too far (and my dog hated it too...)
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Huw Adamson

• Good talker
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 12:26:56 AM »

I haven't got one, but I really want/need one. The Church band plays in E an awful lot, and A would be a useful key too. My grandad has offered to give me the reeds from an old P.A, and I thought I might have the reeds in there to botch one together, but that's a pipe dream at the moment.
And the sharks they played melodeon

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 10:13:22 PM »

I've gone through several ... I had an LMH Dino Baffetti Red Pearl 3 which was an odd beast going by the M reed it was in low E / A pitch and really too low in the lower octave ... I've had a rather interestingly (ahem) restored pokerwork in high E / A and now own an Erika in High E / A that is great.

It's a very very useful tool to have in the box if you're a D/G player looking to play in E, A and F#min all of which are fairly common to encounter in folk stuff where fiddles are prevalent.

It's pitch does fall in a rather odd place though, either very squeaky indeed or sluggishly low which I imagine is why it's not that popular.  I think an LMM tuned  E / A box would reduce the squeak up top significantly on full voicing.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 10:15:16 PM by squeezy »
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

pgroff

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 11:48:40 PM »

Not too unusual to see 3 row boxes in EAD here in North America (Mi) - Hohner Coronas, etc. Their outside two rows would be like a (low) E/A.

I recently acquired an interesting box less than a half-step away from (low) E/A. It's a beautiful Italian Eb/Ab box (high pitch, non-equal temperament), MMM, formerly in the "museum" (historical collection) at Alex Accordions in New York City. Will attach better pics when I get a chance.

Love the sound of this accordion. Too bad about the stepped keyboard. Goes great with a high pitch Ab/Eb Jeffries that I restored to (my hypothesized) original tuning.

PG
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 04:03:19 AM by pgroff »

Jimmy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 09:01:03 PM »

I came across one over here ( the Netherlands) and I thought that's an unusual key for a melodeon.
I'm a bit wiser now.
Thank you all very much for the information.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 09:03:31 PM by Jimmy »
Too many accordions, selling some off cheap as chips.

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 10:37:50 PM »

I know that my first E / A Dino Baffetti was built for the Italian market - unmistakable with all the cheesy rhinestones and amazing floral bellows papers.  However I also know that E / A is quite a common tuning in Norway too, all the ones I've ever seen are in the lower pitch.  The high E / A's seem to all have been converted for D/G players as a 'tone up' box
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 11:09:34 PM »

At the risk of being accused of thread drift. 

If you want to play in E and A then consider a bandoneon as those are the keys that reside on the second row in and can be mainly played (right hand) with a similar fingering to the top end of a G/C box.

pgroff

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 05:57:13 PM »

Better photo of the Armindo Luciani.

This is in Eb / Bb A 449, but equally I suppose it could be considered a low-pitch E / A box (in the low octave, below a G/C).

Reeds are voiced MMM with an Italian (wide) musette, and are very bright and crisp despite the low keys of this accordion.

PG
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 06:05:07 PM by pgroff »

hickory-wind

• Lives in NY USA near the Erie Canal
    • Bellingers' Button Boxes
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 07:10:37 PM »

I have two of these 'breadbox' Hohners in EA. 3 voice 6 stops with 6 spoon basses.

Scott

BellingersButtonBoxes.com

too many boxes...please buy one, or two, or

Melissa Sinclair

• Regular debater
  • Got my first squeeze... box(es)
    • Melissa's Melodeons
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 08:12:25 PM »

I have two of these 'breadbox' Hohners in EA. 3 voice 6 stops with 6 spoon basses.

Scott

I love the look of these old hohners and how the workings are visible on the outside.
Plunking on my 1st box: Vintage burl Hohner in GC,  a lonely Hohner Liliput in CF, and a borrowed Streb to have a "silent Melodeon" and a melodeon of many keys!

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 10:01:58 PM »

Is there any chance of seeing one of your "breadboxes" in action? They look lovely, but do they have brass reeds?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 10:05:30 AM »

Never heard the term "breadbox" before. Does that infer that the timber is recycled?
Reminds me of some of the cheaper Indian harmoniums made from fruit boxes;  highly finished on the outside, but still retaining stencils on the inside relating to agricultural produce.
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

hickory-wind

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 03:25:15 PM »

Is there any chance of seeing one of your "breadboxes" in action? They look lovely, but do they have brass reeds?

Sorry, no. One is partially restored (valves, pads) but waiting to remount the reeds and tune. I'm waiting to find a buyer and see how the new owner wants it tuned. It is well below A440 and if I am to bring all the reeds up I prefer to get them close on my individual reedplate fixtures before final tuning in the instrument.

I call them 'breadboxes' because they are much larger than Pokerworks, squarish and would look good on a kitchen counter with a hinged end to preserve bread...

These have steel reeds on zinc reedplates and are in an MMH configuration. Each row has 3 stops but 2 are dummies. The MM reeds are always engaged and the H reeds have a stop.

Scott

tirpous

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 07:28:10 PM »

Here is one in action (not sure it's an E/A, though):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSSm76IwtKQ

hickory-wind

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2017, 10:50:44 PM »

Here is one in action (not sure it's an E/A, though):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSSm76IwtKQ

It sounds fantastic! It does appear to be in EA also.

Scott

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2017, 10:53:24 PM »

Thanks, Tirpous. It sounds smashing!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

george garside

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2017, 11:14:32 PM »

there is a very simple answer to getting a readily available A/E box  -  it generally known as a BC!
george >:E ;)
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 08:00:11 AM »

I have an E/A lilliput bandoneon tuned (a Mike Rowbotham special). 

It is taking time to get used to it....
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal