Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: small box with best bass  (Read 1568 times)

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
Re: small box with best bass
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2017, 10:13:09 AM »

I think that for the main part it is a convention ...

Based on actual playing, and musical theory, what would be the prefered correlation? I mean, i think you would normally want your V to be lower than your I, right? Is there logic for the others as well? 

If you use this I-V correlation and the fact that C is lowest, can you conclude that playing in F gives you the nicest configuration of basses?

W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2017, 10:44:58 AM »

I have never heard that theory saying that the V bass should be lower than the I ... I can think of just as many example of famous music where the V is above the I as it is the other way around when it's played on bass instruments that have the choice ... it depends on the way the bass line is going and is chosen for effect.

I sometimes think people are making up these "rules" somewhere because they enjoy rules more than they enjoy music!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 11:34:57 AM by squeezy »
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

Rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2017, 10:53:44 AM »

One row melodeons in B flat, C and D have the V higher than the I.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

911377brian

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2017, 11:13:32 AM »

I was getting interested in this post, then the I,V thing popped up and did for me. What exactly is or does I V mean or represent?

Rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2017, 11:17:17 AM »

In the key of C, C (the root) is I and G (the fifth) is V.

Other keys:
G is I, D is V.
D is I, A is V.
F is I, C is V.
etc.
www.melodeons.com

george garside

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2017, 11:24:42 AM »

I sometimes think people are making up these "rules" somewhere because they enjoy rules more than they enjoy music!

george

me to!
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".    Available on ebay as a 'buy now' item. Put in melodeon tutor book for full info.

911377brian

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2017, 11:30:11 AM »

Thanks Rees, very clear...

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2017, 03:21:42 PM »

I have never heard that theory saying that the V bass should be lower than the I ... I can think of just as many example of famous music where the V is above the I as it is the other way around when it's played on bass instruments that have the choice ... it depends on the way the bass line is going and is chosen for effect.

I enjoy both :-)

And ofcourse when a bassline is going in one direction it is most beautiful to be able to continue that line. This isexactly why i am thinking about it. Things like that, dont have to be 'hard rules" but, knowing that usually the C is lowest onthe basses the different boxes will sound different, (apart from tuning) when playing the same fingering. It's because some chord/basslines work better on one box than the other, due to the jump in octave on the left hand being on another spot. I was wondering if there is some sort of general thought on that. I havent been able to put my finger on it. 

(i am thinking about it, because i am in the process of ordering some reeds, might as well make a thought-through choice there as well)

W
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 03:25:55 PM by Cooper »
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

playandteach

« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2017, 09:34:31 PM »

Rees I hope you don't mind me adding to your information: it might help to think of the I in this case as the tonic, rather than the root. So that we know we are talking about 2 different chords, rather than inversions of the same chord. Root (C for example) and Fifth (G) could both refer to C chords.
I think the point was to say that in a perfect cadence the root note of the dominant chord should be lower that the root note of the tonic chord (not a statement I agree with, by the way - so much depends on the direction of travel of the melody for example as well as the bass).
I love realising that an emotional response to music is controllable by conscious decisions of craftsmen composers. The first time I heard a Mediant modulation (ask me if you're interested) I thought it was just beautiful music, now I know that it was fully intended I feel even more respect. Knowledge and instinct are not necessarily discrete skills.

Rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2017, 09:50:30 PM »

No problem P&T, we were discussing fundamental bass notes not chords.
www.melodeons.com

911377brian

« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2017, 10:33:09 PM »

I thought I was beginning to get a grip on this...
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.