Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Kay Albrecht box on Ebay  (Read 1663 times)

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
New Kay Albrecht box on Ebay
« on: February 22, 2017, 09:25:23 PM »

Don't normally like to post about stuff on Ebay, but this is probably worth a mention.

A new box from Kay Albrecht in conjunction with Andreas of Fraton Accordions:

Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

triskel

Re: New Kay Albrecht box on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 03:31:43 AM »

Ummm, I don't mean to knock the instrument (which may well be utterly wonderful to play!) but I think calling it a "new Kay Albrecht box" might be stretching it a bit Malcolm.

The listing only claims "This melodeon is manufactured in collaboration with Kay Albrecht", and there's nothing to say that Kay actually made any of it - nor does it have "the look" of one of that he did.

I'm also a bit surprised to see the anchor emblem on it, since that used to be a Hohner trade mark on accordons (which, as the "double anchor", they acquired with Kalbe in 1912), but I guess it's no longer in use by them...

By the way, both the eBay listing and the Fraton Accordions website get Kay's web address wrong, which is (of course!) https://aaccordion.com, and not aaccordions.com.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: New Kay Albrecht box on Ebay
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 09:09:36 AM »

Yes - I agree with Triskel: whatever the claims of Fraton Accordions, this is not a Kay Albrecht instrument, although Kay may well have had an advisory role in its development.

I have played one of the Fraton two-rows (similar to the e-bay listing) last year at on their Whitby Folk Week trade stand. It was quite nice but nothing really exceptional. However, I have also played a couple of the real Kay Albrecht boxes and they are truly wonderful instruments in terms of response, sound and superb workmanship. Highly recommended!
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal