Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How big is your low end?  (Read 771 times)

Garry Probert

• Respected Sage
How big is your low end?
« on: February 23, 2017, 11:50:12 AM »

Hi guys had an rather interesting plink on darrens mates melodeons,understandably people don't want their pride and joy disassembled to take a peek at the reeds lol
I have liliputs and a club II and both have two bass reeds per note octave apart and
I'm assuming that is the standard configuration ?
finding suitable small size reeds for my altered bass on the liliput was relatively easy from the donor vintage PA I have ,darren had a complete wreck a vintage italian PA that had some huge reeds in comparison and just happened to have the notes and size i was after for the club II

So are the bass reeds in all the hohner club boxes (excluding the mini like the liliput)all the same size,and are they unusually large compared to say modern italian boxes? its very hard to gauge the omph without a direct comparison and irritatinly didn't take my club II melodeon ,also had a few glasses of prosecco definitely has a detrimental effect on ones fingering and possibly hearing as well lol
I'm really asking as my sitting down playing is coming along really well ,so i'm looking at 2-1/2 row standard size boxes
I really like the big low end ,but there is limited opportunities to compare different instruments

many thanks

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: How big is your low end?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 12:04:34 PM »

There is quite a lot of variety in the voicing of basses and chords.

Typical Italian boxes have three reed basses all spaced octaves apart and three reed chords, so six reeds in total.  Some share the highest bass reed as the tonic in the chord so 5 reeds in total.

Hohner 2 row and smaller Club have the two bass three chord setup that you are familiar with.  Bigger Hohner clubs have 4 tonic reeds spaced octaves apart so they go up quite high, and the two highest tonics are shared with the chords.  I suspect that the Swiss box you've been looking at might have this setup.

The bass reeds in most Hohner Club boxes are on much wider plates than Italian bass reeds, but they cover the same range of pitches.  The only other exception (in addition to Liliput and Preciosa) are the Overture and other very large versions most of which have  much larger bass reeds up to an octave lower.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Garry Probert

• Respected Sage
Re: How big is your low end?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 12:38:56 PM »

Hi theo many thanks for the info, never played a bigger castagnari only played a Lilly and if i'm going to play sitting then
I definitely want that big low end thump ,really kicking myself for not taking the club II for comparison,the weight seemed comparable ,and wonderfully comfortable straps make a big difference and Its really difficult to get a sense of depth of tone from youtube videos     

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal