Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Am tunes. Best tuning?  (Read 1386 times)

Martin P

• Respected Sage
Am tunes. Best tuning?
« on: February 26, 2017, 06:39:36 PM »

I have call to play "The Hansome Ploughboy" in Am. Music also suggests use of Dm chords in B part. I suspect this means tune is modal. Any suggestions as to best tuning of box to play this on? No standard keyboard seems to offer Am and Dm chords (probably for good reason). I can play in on my DG 2 1/2 row with bass thirds stopped (to make all chords modal), but RH fingering is very tricky.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Am tunes. Best tuning?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 06:47:54 PM »

I can play in on my DG 2 1/2 row with bass thirds stopped (to make all chords modal), but RH fingering is very tricky.

I play a lot of Am tunes on DG and don't find the fingering tricky.  Can you post the tune so I can try it, either a recording, or notation or abc.  All the versions I can find are either in G or A major.  Maybe its a different tune?

If you play it on a GC you can play a Dm7 if the D chord is major.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Dazbo

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Danger MAD Here!
    • My YouTube Channel for melodeons, morris and folk in general
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 01:59:41 PM »

I've had a check on JC's tunefinder and the only Handsome Ploughboy they have is in A major

Any chance of posting it here or providing a link?
Ciao Bellow

Darren

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 10:07:39 PM »

I have call to play "The Hansome Ploughboy" in Am. Music also suggests use of Dm chords in B part. I suspect this means tune is modal.
The defining chord of western 'modal' minors is V .. in this case Em.  Tonal minors (viz harmonic) have an E7 there (which melodeonists fudge by playing E major)

I tried to google this tune to see if it has a sharp 6th or not (F#/F).  That would make it Dorian, best played mostly on  on a G row and  harmonised by the 'G' chords.  If the F is natural, it is simple Aolian minor - you'd should base play on your C row and use the 'C' chords  (as available on your kit).

SURPRISE : *All the ones google found for me are in A major! :o Please advise. dots would help but a recording or video would be enough

See others had same luck.  -- and 'Hansome' ::) met the same fate
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 10:10:14 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 07:10:03 AM »

The only versions I found of Handsome Ploughboy were in a major key. However, Am and Dm can be accomplished on a G/C box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal