Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pokerwork wiggly / squeaking fingerboard  (Read 1319 times)

Mick

Pokerwork wiggly / squeaking fingerboard
« on: February 27, 2017, 05:11:51 AM »

Hello my Melodeon Friends,

I have a GC Pokerwork and this is my first season with it in what has been a fairly mild Great Lakes winter.  Still it has been cold and dry.

Managed through a few sticky buttons but now a bigger issue is arising.

The right hand fingerboard / shelf (not sure what to call it) has begun wiggling and squeaking a bit--as a whole, not just individual buttons or levers.  The right hand wooden outrigger is what I mean.  The whole fingerboard / shelf.  It isn't "loose", but is wiggly when I brace my thumb against it while playing.  I play with shoulder straps so, it isn't a crisis.  Yet.

I'm fixing to open up the box and see if there is a screw or other mechanical connection that is accessible from the inside, but I thought I'd venture an question here first and see if anyone else has run into a similar problem.

thanks!

Mick

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
Re: Pokerwork wiggly / squeaking fingerboard
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 06:38:04 AM »

Pull the right hand bellows frame pins (x4).
Inside the right hand end you will find 2 bolts (or coach screws, depending on the age of the instrument) with washers, one at each end near the reedblock with the shortest row of reeds.
Gently tighten then up a bit, and with luck the problem is solved.
If not, post again and I or some one else will answer that if necessary....pointless getting too complicated if the simple fix works  8)

Good luck.
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Mick

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 12:50:11 PM »

Thanks, Malcolm!

I was hoping I'd find something like this....a mechanical / machine screw connection rather than a wood screw or glue joint.  I'll get after this today now that the sun is up and out and will report back.

I appreciate the quick reply!

Mick

exiletaff

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 05:03:10 PM »

Hi Mick
I changed my Pokerwork keyboard for a wooden one with removable underside so I could adjust the button depth. There are two quite long philips screws holding it on. If one is a little bit slack it may need a thick splinter of softwood pushing into the screwhole to give better grip for the screw. If it is a chinese one (like mine) be careful with the screwdriver as the steel is as soft as putty and may just twist in half and break or the philps slots just round off.

Garry Probert

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 08:06:30 PM »

Hi just a bit of info ,if its a vintage hohner they have gaskets around the screws,so on my club II I renewed the gaskets and hide glued all the possible air leaks and it made a huge difference, the bellows are in excellent condition but renewing the bellows gasket
and sealing all those little pesky leaks make for a wheeze free tight box   

Mick

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 09:36:24 PM »

Thanks, Gary and Exiletaff

Mine is a German-made Hohner, but good suggestion for care with the screw head.  I was hoping it was a machine screw connection, you know: nut and bolt, instead of a wood screw, but it all came apart and tightened up well.

Bellows gasket seems to be in good shape, but I will keep an eye and ear on it.  "It's a clean machine." as Sir Paul sang.  And delightfully loud.

Exiletaff, I'd enjoy hearing more about your false-bottom keyboard.  Is it one you fashioned yourself?

Mick

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 11:59:45 PM »

Exiletaff, I'd enjoy hearing more about your false-bottom keyboard.  Is it one you fashioned yourself?
You can get them from Pete Ward of this parish (Acorn Instruments). They are wooden keyboards especially made as replacements on Ericas and Pokerworks. They are made with a removable base plate and are supplied with felt buffers to quieten and limit the button travel.

They are easy to fit, though placing the felt buffer needs a bit of a temporary dry-run with double-sided tape or blue-tack to get it exactly in the right position for each individual instrument. Highly recommended!

See here for Pokerwork:
http://www.acorninstruments.co.uk/inst.cfm?instID=25

Also here for Erica:
http://www.acorninstruments.co.uk/inst.cfm?instID=24
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Mick

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 01:28:19 AM »

Muy coolioso, Steve.  Muchas gracias. 

This looks like a worthwhile upgrade.

Mick

Huw Adamson

• Good talker
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 08:46:12 AM »

You can get them from Pete Ward of this parish (Acorn Instruments). They are wooden keyboards especially made as replacements on Ericas and Pokerworks. They are made with a removable base plate and are supplied with felt buffers to quieten and limit the button travel.

They are easy to fit, though placing the felt buffer needs a bit of a temporary dry-run with double-sided tape or blue-tack to get it exactly in the right position for each individual instrument. Highly recommended!

See here for Pokerwork:
http://www.acorninstruments.co.uk/inst.cfm?instID=25

Also here for Erica:
http://www.acorninstruments.co.uk/inst.cfm?instID=24

My Pokerwork's keyboard has been felted and such by Theo a while back, but I really like the look of that for just the concave edge to rest your thumb in... it is one of the things I most envy when playing other people's boxes.
And the sharks they played melodeon

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 09:27:10 AM »

It is an excellent upgrade for a Hohner. And if you have a damaged keyboard I can see no reason to use a Hohner replacement part when these are available.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Mick

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 04:13:31 PM »

Thanks, Theo.  I contacted Pete Ward via email about these to no avail.

His website and shop still looks alive.  Maybe try by phone?

Mick

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 05:54:33 PM »

Thanks, Theo.  I contacted Pete Ward via email about these to no avail.

His website and shop still looks alive.  Maybe try by phone?

Mick
Yes - give him a call on the phone (the number is on the Acorn Instruments website). Leave a message if no reply. He will get back to you.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 06:20:13 PM »

He's been quite busy at shows etc lately.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal