Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tutor Boooks  (Read 1021 times)

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
Tutor Boooks
« on: February 28, 2017, 12:05:38 PM »

I was looking at Melissa's Blog, and was intrigued by the two books donated by her anonymous benefactor. At the same time, I had been given an Amazon Voucher by a friend for reaching a certain birthday. Put the two together and we have lift off! So I sent for them. Both are seemingly childlike to look at in the first place, but this is deceptive ...

Both books are by a chap called Ondrej Sarek and are remarkably cheap. They are:
Bass Songbook for G/C Melodeon, Only For Left Hand", which is a series of simple tunes used as exercises for not just playing tunes on the "easy side", but to acitvely encourage more creative use of the Left Hand Side as well. Recommended.

"Cross Row Style Songbook for Beginner, C/F Diatonic Accordion". This is the one which interested me first as, like Melissa, I have recently acquired a C/F Liliput and wanted some exercises to get me properly acquainted with it. Just about the same tunes, used as exercises to accustom one to use cross-rowing as a regular technique. Also recommended, by me.

Despite the titles, they are applicable to any quint box and all that is needed, apart from your box, is a pencil for marking the book to your needs. Thank you Melissa - you are proving a regular asset to this site!

Chris Brownbridge.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
Re: Tutor Boooks
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 12:21:26 PM »

As I'm still just dabbing the fingers of my left hand here and there as it seems appropriate, I'd welcome some bass guidance for my G/C, also for some more cross-rowing. So, please tell if I could make use of these books, even though I don't  know music? I love the idea of playing a tune on the basses. As I love the sound of the lower notes altogether, I tend to play on the chin end of my boxes, and only play on the other half if I don't have the notes where I'd rather they were.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 12:58:47 PM »

Hi Edward - they do have a melodeon tablature along with the dots, which is relatively simple to understand, though fiddlers might need to be aware that he uses our signs for upbow and downbow for "pull" and "push" respectively. They will probably be useful to you at the stage you describe, I think.

And I've found my secret stash of pencils!  ;D
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 01:37:36 PM »

Thanks, Chris.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal