Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Folk Degree Newcastle Uni - Your thoughts (not just melodeon players)  (Read 5929 times)

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
Re: Folk Degree Newcastle Uni - Your thoughts (not just melodeon players)
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2017, 01:09:53 PM »

The expression about 'preserving' tradition  - that it should be fanning the flames rather than preserving the ashes - is one I agree with. I'm also guilty of trying to write new pieces for the melodeon - and may have said that I'm trying to write melodeon tunes in a [French] folk influenced style. I am aware that as not one single soul has ever played anything I've written, that I can't claim to have written folk music. Although many living performers have pieces of theirs regularly played in a variety of settings.
I really enjoy the discipline of writing tunes, and don't mind if they never see the light of day, let alone gain popularity.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2017, 01:18:34 PM »

I think we have to separate traditional folk music, and music written in the folk idiom. I'd rather people wrote new songs and tunes in the folk style, than F**K (asterisks again) about,  with traditional tunes to their detriment (Tune and tunesmiths) Sometimes I think they're confusing folk music with jazz  >:E
After all, many of McColls songs are standard fare in folk clubs, all of which were written within living memory.

Sir John

(Fanning the flames)
or
(Flaming the fans)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 05:06:23 PM by John MacKenzie (Cugiok) »
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

george garside

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2017, 03:34:07 PM »

if instead of thinking in terms of tunes , folk or otherwise, being written or composed and substitute ''thought up''   then any tune liked/played/sung , ancient  or modern, that is liked by so called 'folkies' such as many/most of us is a folk tune.

In other words if we like a tune or song  who gives a shite as to  its  alleged legitimacy or otherwise - or something like that!

george ;)

author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2017, 05:03:00 PM »

I think we have to separate traditional folk music, and music written in the folk idiom. I'd rather people wrote new songs and tunes in the folk style, that F**K (asterisks again) about,  with traditional tunes to their detriment (Tune and tunesmiths) Sometimes I think they're confusing folk music with jazz  >:E
After all, many of McColls songs are standard fare in folk clubs, all of which were written within living memory.

Tunes don't just materialise out of thin air by themselves. All tunes were originally composed by someone, although we may no longer know who that person was. If the tune was useful - e.g. helped in worship in churches and monasteries, encouraged sailors to heave on ropes, soldiers to march, or if it became a popular tune for dancing, etc. then people would have remembered it and perhaps re-wrote it down (if it hadn't already been notated). When we say a tune is 'traditional' what we are really saying is that we don't know who wrote it, but we like it well enough to keep on playing it.

Sometimes the tune is labelled 'traditional' by mistake or through ignorance of the composer. John Kirkpatrick's 'Jump at the Sun' is a case in point - I'm told it gets called 'John Patterson (traditional)' in some French speaking areas of Canada. ;) (or is this a folkie myth?)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2017, 05:24:28 PM »

The essence of Ollie King's new cd is exactly this - tradition uses tunes that are popular at the time and brings them into the 'folk fold' . His opening two tracks are well known hymns.
In a current thread Chris Ryall was saying the French play 'Jump at the sun' as a dance tune and claim it is a traditional French tune!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2017, 01:36:24 PM »

...Also, what about these 2 characters playing at the Phoenix Club in Newcastle?   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GGzBNHNK7U&feature=youtu.be&list=PLVufORD3WShQPgcgCuptqH1IPj24YcAzM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWHvPNGxGGM&feature=youtu.be&list=PLVufORD3WShQPgcgCuptqH1IPj24YcAzM

That is entertainment at it's best. These two are brilliant. I'll will happily pay money to see them if I get a chance.

Bye the bye, I only know one graduate of the course, Chloe Jones, sometime fiddler for my side, Dartmoor Border Morris (who speaks very highly of a certain Theo). The only downside that I can see to her doing the cours is that she seems to have decamped permanently to the north east and we miss her :-)
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2017, 01:41:55 PM »

Greg, it's an ill wind that blows nobody any good! What, with this course gaining us fabulous musicians (even if only for the duration of their stay) and the NE Playgroup.......it seems that we're at last going to be the place to be once more!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Hugh Taylor

• Respected Sage
    • Band web site: http://www.tumblingtom.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2017, 04:09:56 PM »

Re engaging with the audience. I've been to two concerts recently. Both of them had minimal 'engagement with the audience'. In the first they came onto the stage and bowed to the audience and played. That was it. In the second, apart from a good evening, there was nothing. The first concert was the Halle orchestra in the Bridgwater Hall, and the second Tinariwen in Kendal. Both great concerts played by excellent musicians. I'm not saying that performers in a folk context shouldn't engage with the audience, but surely what we want from the degree course is a high standard of playing that will help create role models for younger players to follow.   
Castagnari Mory D/G, Castagnari Tommy D/G, Saltarelle C/F, Hohner Erika A/D
Tumbling Tom Band
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal