Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mini Piano accordian advice  (Read 2334 times)

James Tobin

Mini Piano accordian advice
« on: March 03, 2017, 09:08:19 AM »

Hi,

I wonder if someone could advise?

I currently have been learning the melodeon D/G ( 18 months) and have been looking at the mini piano accordian to try out. Is there anything I should be looking at when researching to buy? Are they all tuned the same?

Many thanks :)

george garside

Re: Mini Piano accordian advice
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 10:05:01 AM »

stick with the melodeon!!!

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

arty

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 10:14:17 AM »

Hi,

I wonder if someone could advise?
Is there anything I should be looking at .......

I would recommend you got a psychoanalyst  >:E >:E >:E

Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

James Tobin

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 10:15:43 AM »

Thanks both 😂

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 10:51:07 AM »

Tuning in terms of pitch / fingering are all the same. Some will start on a low G which is good for tunes that match the fiddle range. Others will start on C - smaller boxes, but missing those notes.
You will have many considerations about the numbers of basses to make. A 48 bass comes in two layouts, 4 x 12 gives you all the keys. 6 x 7 gives you diminished chords - which you may never need.
I would think just basses majors and minors would keep you going, if reduction in size matters.
Tuning in terms of tremolo will vary. I would think a 2 voice will be what you are looking for to keep weight down.
Beware that many older ones will be very expensive to do up. Try before you buy.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

James Tobin

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 02:33:57 PM »

Thanks 'playandteach' I'll have another think about 🤔

Walleye

• Good talker
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 04:10:05 PM »

Small piano accordions are also fun.  The 48 bass that P&T talked about is very versatile.  Obviously very different than a melodeon.  Piano keys are chromatic and give you the same note both IN and OUT bellows.  Stradella bass layout is very easy to learn as well and there are patterns to learn that make it quite easy.  Liberty Bellows website does have a section on small and very small piano accordions that you could browse just to see what they look and sound like.  There is also a UK website for accordions (accordionist.co.uk) that is just as extensive as MelNet and does have a "Buy and Sell" section as well to look at.  I don't think there's anything wrong with learning about and/or playing either or both instruments.  Free reeds are wonderful.

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 06:09:04 AM »

If you want to tinker with a small PA that doesn't break the bank, then you can't go much wronger than a Hohner Student. They come with a wide variety of bass layouts, some more useful than others. But (in the UK at least) you can often pick up decent working ones. They tend to have 25 or 26 keys. The lightest have 12 bass - a row of bass (BbFCGDA) and major chords. It is possible to mute the major chord thirds with tape to make them more useful. There are also 24 bass versions, with 8 bass, maj/minor chords, though they annoyingly run AbEbBbFCGDA, when you often don't really want ..at least...the Ab and have an E instead on the other end. The Hohner Verdi I is slightly bigger, with 34 treble keys and 48 bass. The bass has all 12 notes, maj/min/fundamental and counter bass row.The problem with the Verdi I is that they are all old so getting a good *working* one is harder. Restored I think they sound great, esp compared to the modern Chinese made accordions. And they are v light indeed.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 06:10:38 AM by RogerT »

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 07:31:49 AM »

I just finished restoring a 25 bass german instrument (might be a Koch) that had a odd setup inside.
Each button on the bass had its own set of reeds like a pokerwork.This made for a lot of reed duplication so that the left side had three blocks of reeds ! bass block and 2 chord block. Never seen the like. It would allow you do things like ambiguate chords if you wished.

I is not impossible to shift the bass button assignment on those smaller boxes,I did a shift involving moving the C over two spots on a 48 bass awhile back. Involved moving all the bass reeds and adding a couple of new notes to the bass.
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal