Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Morris/Christianity  (Read 10365 times)

HallelujahAl

Re: Morris/Christianity
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2009, 03:41:11 PM »

What a great picture Tyker. Looks like he was having so much fun!
AL

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2009, 11:01:38 PM »

Al - I've only just spotted the second half of your earlier post. Well said mate, I couldn't agree more. God gave us this world to enjoy ;D. Personally, I often feel I've done better preaching using my fiddle for dancing for strangers (sorry chaps - my melodeon playing isn't up to public performance yet  :||:) than by using my voice to the regulars in church. St Francis said "Go out and preach the Gospel, use words only when necessary". There is NO DICHOTOMY between The Morris and the life and teachings of Jesus the Christ. This is official.

Sermon over - sorry about the theology - I just had to get it out of my system!
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Tyker

• Respected Sage
  • Cheviot C#DG,Hohners D and G/C
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2009, 01:49:11 PM »

I was given a CD of photos of the long-defunct Keele Rapper . Father Ken had stopped playing for them before I joined , but one of musicians , my good friend , has collected a CD scrap book which he copied for me .

Graeme - North Hampshire,UK

There is no noun that can't be verbed

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2009, 09:30:44 PM »

Personally, my God thoroughly approves of Morris Dancing.

Sad delusion I'm afraid. God was clearly a motor biker - why else would he crash Africa into Europe  - simply so he could ride his Harley Davidson though those fantastic Alpine passes?
  _       _    _      _ 

HallelujahAl

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2009, 09:01:43 AM »

Quote from: HallelujahAl on July 16, 2009, 05:15:52 PM

Sad delusion I'm afraid. God was clearly a motor biker - why else would he crash Africa into Europe  - simply so he could ride his Harley Davidson though those fantastic Alpine passes?

Delusion on the other foot old man. God only rode a Triumph! never a Harley (I think the other team got that!)
 ;D
AL

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2009, 09:09:12 AM »

Quote from: HallelujahAl on July 16, 2009, 05:15:52 PM

Delusion on the other foot old man. God only rode a Triumph! never a Harley (I think the other team got that!)
 ;D
AL
ah but in habakuk he said "I will rock the nations"

He's also a camper (can't remeber the quote off top oof my head)

And in the last psalm  he likes barn dances as..."...praise him with the circle dance.."

HallelujahAl

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2009, 09:24:17 AM »

ah but in habakuk he said "I will rock the nations"

He's also a camper (can't remeber the quote off top oof my head)

And in the last psalm  he likes barn dances as..."...praise him with the circle dance.."

LDT I'm really sorry to disagree with you but, it all depends on your translation/ paraphrase but the quote is from Habbakuk 3: 6. Most versions have 'shook', or 'tremble' - so on a point of translation I can't consider that God was a rocker - no not for one moment! ;)

Yes, I believe he did have a tent - but then I have a tent but that doesn't make me a camper.

Finally the last Psalm doesn't mention anything about circle dances as far as I can remember:

Psalm 150

1 Praise the LORD.

Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty heavens.

2 Praise him for his acts of power; praise him for his surpassing greatness.

3 Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet, praise him with the harp and lyre,

4 praise him with tambourine and dancing, praise him with the strings and flute,

5 praise him with the clash of cymbals, praise him with resounding cymbals.

6 Let everything that has breath praise the LORD.

Praise the LORD.

Doesn't mention anything about melodeons there either - however on the premise that a melodeon is a 'thing' that has 'breath' perhaps it could still be included. Still a bloomin' good Psalm though!
AL

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2009, 09:22:23 PM »

However, there is absolutely no biblical source suggesting that God is into motorbikes. The Archbishop of York may be thus interested, for did not Charles Wesley specifically refer to "The Triumphs of his Grace"?
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2009, 12:00:49 AM »

However, there is absolutely no biblical source suggesting that God is into motorbikes.

Dunno - remember that much of the Great Book is said to be in code ....

• "Woe to Ariel, to Ariel"  ???
  • "God did not spare the Angels .. but sent them to Hell"  >:E
  • "He was a hairy man with a girdle of leather about his loins."  ;)
  • "Who is this David son of Jesse"?  8)

qv reaction below - OK I surrender. Could someone please add 'no humerous references wrt Bible' to ditto wrt Morris Dancers to this Board's FAQ.  :-[
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 04:34:35 PM by chrisryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

HallelujahAl

« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2009, 08:58:39 AM »

Dunno - remember that much of the Great Book is said to be in code ....

Well it's my main work-manual and it reads pretty straight forward to me - I usually advise folk against taking passages, however brief, out of all context because you can end up with a pretty skewed/warped idea of just about anything if you do that. Which , of course, is what some people want because otherwise they'd find themselves being challenged by the very thing they're making fun of.

Is it a 'code'? No - but it is a vast collection of writing covering a time span of about 4,000 years which negotiates and explains in history, in poetry, in song, in story & parable, in testimony and personal experience a disparate collection of people's set of relationships with their God and their neighbours. There are 66 'books' within the bible that were put togther over a period of centuries by a particular Christian denomination that has dated and 'codified' this current collection that we call the 'Bible' today. But frankly I believe that the real 'bible' is still being written in and through a great many people's lives and practical experience of their relationship with their maker. I'm no wild-eyed evangelical, but I have to include myself in the number of those who have moved from a state of cynicism about things like faith & God - to having a very real, I would say personal, relationship with my God.
AL

tiny

« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2009, 09:21:34 AM »

Al... you say it well
lizzy in Hoppicking Herefordshire

Castagnari Tommy, Hohner one row,Dino Baffetti Binci, Giordy.

Pushpull

• Regular debater
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2009, 10:09:08 AM »

However, there is absolutely no biblical source suggesting that God is into motorbikes.
Though as Mike Harding once said "and lo, the roar of Moses' Triumph was heard throughout Israel".
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal