Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bass strap - how tight should it be?  (Read 4101 times)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Re: Bass strap - how tight should it be?
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2017, 05:15:55 PM »

Airtime: after going round every stall at the Sidmouth festival, the Tommy was the only box not requiring Bulworker type pressure to function and was close to my concertina for response.
Your opening statement is of course true  ;D

Les: yes I find the difference between comfort and tight to be minimal. Glad someone else agrees!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

richard.fleming

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2017, 06:05:44 PM »

Morris dancers tea break! Whatever next!
Old Paolo Sopranis in C#/D and D/D#

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2017, 06:13:38 PM »

Nah..... Was off duty at the time  (:)
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

george garside

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2017, 07:35:17 PM »

Morris dancers tea break! Whatever next!

I wasn't aware that you could get alchoholic tea!

george ;D
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2017, 07:40:51 PM »

OY You lot grrrr.....
you know me too well.....  ;D
Thrupenny Bit

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2017, 08:02:08 PM »

As I understand it, during prohibition if you ordered tea you got gin, order coffee and you got whiskey - both served in cup and saucer.  Nowadays you can only get coffee and pay as much as you would for a double whisky!

On the original subject, I like the velcro straps as they don't loosen in play, whereas the rotella type can.  Either type of air button can be operated with subtlety once you get used to them.  Worth noting that Hohner Clubs have the "Italian" type before they cut every possible cost and produced the Pokerwork.  Some of the bigger Clubs have two pallets linked to the air button.  They also had much better reeds with an impressive dynamic range whereas the Pokerwork tends to on/off unless carefully set by an experienced fettler.

Rob.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2017, 09:04:15 AM »

Interesting Rob...... though when I ask for 'tea' I usually get Tetleys.... tea that is not beer!

I have a rotella wheel on one box that is played the most and it does seem to slacken slightly over the course of a week or two. I tweak it back up and off I go. The surprising thing is, the difference between snug and slack is a mere 2-3mm, judging by where to rivets in the strap enter the body of the melodeon. It really isn't very much surprisingly.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2017, 10:49:09 AM »

Sorry, yes the rotella loosens very slowly, but somehow it always tkes me by surprise when I whip it out the bag at the last moment and find my LH sliding around during the first tune.  The velcro type never moves and if you've lent the box to someone else it is literally a question of ripping it open and slapping it shut again around your wrist and it's perfect again.  I guess that answers the original question, just take up the slack around your wrist without winching it up tight and you'll be able to move if you want to yet the slightest flexure of the thumb  (cupping the hand) will lock you securely in position.

I went to a band practice the other day and was drinking tea (working early next morning) but found a hlaf pint of beer made a big difference.  Mid you, if you're actually thirsty it's better to have a tea or glass of water to quench it before you get a beer.

Rob.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2017, 11:27:38 AM »

Yes, Velcro does have distinct advantages, so long as you can get it just right.
as a perpetual driver..... the tipple when out dancing or playing at a session is coke  :'(
hey ho.....
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal