Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help needed for below tape for old Koch please  (Read 1640 times)

invadm

help needed for below tape for old Koch please
« on: March 10, 2017, 10:15:14 PM »

Hello all, I have this old Koch that I am planing to re-tape the bellows.GCM does not have the same colour tape and I'm hoping to find same/or as close as posible colour tape..book binding buckram will be fine too, I can cut to size my self..has anyone maneged to find such colour ? where can I get some please?

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: help needed for below tape for old Koch please
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 10:24:55 PM »

The original material is a heavy paper and it's not very hard wearing.  The best material I've found was a very similar colour Rexine in sand grain texture that I got from Ratchfords http://ratchford.co.uk/
Rexine is no longer made, but if you phone Ratchfords and ask what they have that is similar.  They may even have some remnants of original Rexine.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

invadm

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 10:59:21 PM »

thaks Theo, I will call them in the morning to see what they have..had a look their web page and this looks very close to the original colour,I will ask for sample too.     http://ratchford.co.uk/product/heritage-library-buckram-terracotta/   

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 11:04:22 PM »

I bought buckram from ebay.de
On screen it seemed exactly the same, but in reality it was very different color.
I haven't any other possibility because no book binding shops in Lithuania.
So this one re-taped with different color.
Koch Bb/Eb 12b 3v : Koch A/D 8b 2v : Koch C/F 12b 2v : Hohner Erica C/F 8b 2v : Hohner Erika C/F 2.4 row 8b 2v : Hohner early pre-Corona F/Bb/Eb 12b 2v: Hohner Liliput 2.4 row Bb/Eb 8b 2v : Hohner Club III BS C/F 2.7 row 8b 3v : Galotta D/G 8b 2v : Meinel & Herold G/C/F 16b 2v : Unkn G/C 8b 2v : Petersburg accordion F/Bb/Eb 16b 3v: Petersburg accordion G/C/F 16b 2v : Bandoneon Alfred Arnold 128 tone 2v : Bandoneon Wilhelm König 144 tone 2 v

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 11:08:38 PM »

Last my Koch. with some Hohner elements like this, comes with very different bellows color:
Koch Bb/Eb 12b 3v : Koch A/D 8b 2v : Koch C/F 12b 2v : Hohner Erica C/F 8b 2v : Hohner Erika C/F 2.4 row 8b 2v : Hohner early pre-Corona F/Bb/Eb 12b 2v: Hohner Liliput 2.4 row Bb/Eb 8b 2v : Hohner Club III BS C/F 2.7 row 8b 3v : Galotta D/G 8b 2v : Meinel & Herold G/C/F 16b 2v : Unkn G/C 8b 2v : Petersburg accordion F/Bb/Eb 16b 3v: Petersburg accordion G/C/F 16b 2v : Bandoneon Alfred Arnold 128 tone 2v : Bandoneon Wilhelm König 144 tone 2 v

invadm

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 12:53:48 AM »

thans Andrius, I would not jus go for it,most shops offer sample size here in UK, I wll get a few sample colour first than buy what's best :D I have a Hohner in smiller colour but Koch is little more dark/terracotta shade..
where are you Mr.Nick Bird? isn't this your field  (:)

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 06:38:57 AM »

When I did this job a while back I used a textured paper called Skivertex, which is very similar to the original Koch paper. I got mine from an eBay craft supplies seller, and in 2015 it was £9.35 a sheet. The whole bellows, including frames, took about two-thirds of a sheet. See this earlier thread: http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,18283.msg223921.html#msg223921

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 06:47:29 AM »

In deed it is Invadm. Bookbinding suppliers seem to be dwindling although the demand for such is increasing. My firm, Collis Bird & Withey now have a waiting list for anything but Thesis Binding, the demand for restoration is amazing.
As Theo said if you could send a sample to Ratchfords or J Hewitt and Son they would be more than happy to help. It's better to send a sample. Computers play funny things with colours and what looks good on screen is probably nothing like the colour you want.
 Theo also mentions that the Koch has a paper tape. It might just br possible to find a paper of similar grain and colour it with water colour paint. I've certainly done that in the past.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 07:12:02 AM »

Computers play funny things with colours and what looks good on screen is probably nothing like the colour you want.

They certainly do - what looks like a vicious purply-red in he picture of my restored Koch bellows (see above) is actually a nice deep burgundy......

Personally, rather than try to match an existing old colour which has been subject to change over the years, I'd strip the lot and do the frames as well so that it all matches and will weather and fade (fairly) uniformly.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 07:57:13 AM »

Good point Graham, I agree.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 08:56:39 AM »

BTW this bellow color belongs to Hohner, like the keyboard.
Early 100% Koch has another bellows color (attached)

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 10:10:26 AM »

thans Andrius, I would not jus go for it,most shops offer sample size here in UK, I wll get a few sample colour first than buy what's best :D I have a Hohner in smiller colour but Koch is little more dark/terracotta shade..
where are you Mr.Nick Bird? isn't this your field  (:)
They started out quite a dark terracotta, but like all reds, it fades readily.
My old D/A Hohner shows how much they can fade too.

Sir John

There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 10:27:31 AM »

Personally, rather than try to match an existing old colour which has been subject to change over the years, I'd strip the lot and do the frames as well so that it all matches and will weather and fade (fairly) uniformly.
Graham
I saw one that someone had re-covered in a bright red and it looked terrific.

I did buy one with the intent of re-covering it, but when I took it to get advice on materials some b****r blagged it off of me.
(Invadm, be warned  >:E)
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

invadm

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 12:20:44 PM »

Thanks all for your input, I have asked for some sample from a few shops and see how it goes.
Nick, thanks and I'll give them a call Monday again.
Graham, I am going to do the whole thing,It's not just a partial job.
Malcolm,I;ll keep the box in doors & won't let anyone near.

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 12:21:02 PM »

::)

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2017, 12:29:52 PM »

By the way Invadm. You can mention my name when contacting either Hewitt or Ratchfords I've been dealing with them for over 40 years. Say I recommended you to them. It might help.

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2017, 04:20:18 PM »

Just one Hohner from the same period. This one not my - sold month ago on ebay.de
May be original and undiscolored

invadm

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2017, 12:58:10 PM »

just to update; samples for two colour on the way to mee..I will report back on arrival.

By the way Invadm. You can mention my name when contacting either Hewitt or Ratchfords I've been dealing with them for over 40 years. Say I recommended you to them. It might help.
Thanks one again Nick, I did give your name and they seem to be fast and pro. firm. cheers   
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal