Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Score editors v. ABC editors  (Read 8528 times)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: Score editors v. ABC editors
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2017, 11:28:49 AM »

The Mansfield tutorial is great. I wasn't talking about esoteric  and arcane functions, Jack. Specifically I was wondering how Steve_Freereader managed to apparently include musical symbols in a text line.
[/quote]

I thought I'd already answered your question in this thread here.
[/quote]

Quite right Steve. You did. Very effectively. I was making the point that it wasn't a particularly esoteric question, even if the answer was rather clever.  :D
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Corinto

• Regular debater
  • Spain/Brasil/Belgium
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2017, 12:05:19 PM »

In short: my new MacBook doesn't support anymore FINALE NOTEPAD, I used it for years.

My old MacBook still works, but battery life is short and a few more little annoyances with old web browsers and old software ...

I've downloaded MuseScore, looks good but again a learning curve. Steep?

Have used, a few times, Ernie and BarFly ... old abc software. BarFly is not working on my new MacBook. Ernie works, but Ernie has no "play tune" option.

So I've also downloaded EasyABC, looks interesting, again with a learning curve. Steep?

Learning abc notation may be easier (I used it a few times for very simple tunes, years ago) than learning MuseScore, and may be more than enough for me. Also lots of tunes available online in abc notation.

Comments and advice welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Carpe diem, C.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2017, 02:06:55 PM »

So I've also downloaded EasyABC, looks interesting, again with a learning curve. Steep?

I would strongly recommend getting used to both. They both have their places.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Corinto

• Regular debater
  • Spain/Brasil/Belgium
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2017, 08:02:13 PM »

I would strongly recommend getting used to both. They both have their places.

>:(  >:(  >:(

EasyABC looks easy ... may be enough for me ... if not, then I may learn how to MuseScore ... we'll see ...
Carpe diem, C.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2017, 08:03:39 PM »

EasyABC looks easy

Clue's in the name   ;)

Stockaryd

• Regular debater
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2020, 11:50:07 PM »

Why can I not import  ABC into Musescore. 

Is there something wrong with this?   

X:1
T:Halling efter Per Myhr
R:halling
O:Sweden, Härjedalen
Z:id:hn-halling-1
M:2/4
L:1/8
Q:1/4=115
K:Dmix
aa/b/ af/a/ | Pge/g/ fd/f/ | aa/b/ af/a/ | Pge/c/ d>f :|
|: g/z/f d>c | Ac/B/ GA | E/F/E/D/ CD | FA ^GA |
E/F/E/D/ CD | FA ^GA | Tf>e dc | d2 d>f :|
Hohner Corso, Hohner Erica, Emmanuel Pariselle, Gessner,   Koch,   Mariotti,    "China  NoName",   4 Toy,     -and now some more

Graham Wood

• Regular debater
  • Old Fumble Fingers
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2020, 12:18:32 AM »

Works fine for me. Musescore (which I don't use) tells you to convert ABC to xml by copying and pasting in the box at this link. http://abc2xml.appspot.com

I did this and it produced an xml file. I imported this into Dorico which is what I used and gave me the score below. Obviously you would import it into Musescore which is what you use.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 12:21:33 AM by Graham Wood »
Graham Wood - Third Planet from The Sun
Hohner Morgane B/C,   Junior Martin 1 Row in 'D' with knobs on top,   Acadian 1 Row in 'C' with more knobs on top.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2020, 12:33:24 AM »

X:1
T:Halling efter Per Myhr
R:halling
O:Sweden, Härjedalen
Z:id:hn-halling-1
M:2/4
L:1/8
Q:1/4=115
K:Dmix
aa/b/ af/a/ | Pge/g/ fd/f/ | aa/b/ af/a/ | Pge/c/ d>f :|
|: g/z/f d>c | Ac/B/ GA | E/F/E/D/ CD | FA ^GA |
E/F/E/D/ CD | FA ^GA | Tf>e dc | d2 d>f :|

ABC to Musescore conversion was covered recently in this thread:
http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,25242.msg300711.html#msg300711

The software comes with a default plugin to convert ABC into Musescore. You don't need to separately produce an MusicXML file.
Using the ABC to Musescore plugin, your ABC tune produces the attached score (saved as a PDF file).
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2020, 06:11:13 AM »

...The software comes with a default plugin to convert ABC into Musescore...
IIRC, the conversion plugin links to an ABC-MuseScore conversion tool which is web-based.
In other words, if you are not actually connected to the internet at the time you try and do
the conversion, it will probably barf (I haven't actually tried this).

You may already be aware of this, but just in case...

[This is one of the reasons I don't use MuseScore - I don't like doing stuff in inter-galactic  space, over which
I have no control.]
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 06:17:24 AM by Roger Hare »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2020, 08:18:44 AM »

IIRC, the conversion plugin links to an ABC-MuseScore conversion tool which is web-based.
In other words, if you are not actually connected to the internet at the time you try and do
Correct - well, it just doesn't work; no more disgusting than that.

[This is one of the reasons I don't use MuseScore - I don't like doing stuff in inter-galactic  space, over which
I have no control.]

Are you not over-reacting? You don't have to be connected to the internet to use Musescore; it is stand-alone software. You only need to be connected to the internet
(a) to download the Musescore software in the first place.
(b) to convert ABC to Musescore. Once you have a successful conversion you can switch the internet and intergalactic space off.
In my experience the ABC to Musescore conversion works very well, with usually the minimum of tidying up needed, mostly adjustment of line lengths if you're the sort of person who insists on tidy four-bar lines of music.

Musescore is absolutely brilliant software, completely free and safe to use, and with nearly as much functionality as the industry standard Sibelius (which costs hundreds of £££).

The development and release of Musescore over the last few years has revolutionised the way in which I work. I use it to produce all my annotated concertina and melodeon teaching material, arrangements and transcriptions for my clarinet quartet and other chamber music groups, and the occasional bit of composition. It's officially recommended for use in schools music teaching (at least in Sheffield; don't know about nationally) and has to be truly one of the best items of freeware/software around. Use it without fear.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2020, 10:09:35 AM »

I have no control.]

There are other editors which have true ABC built in. e.g., Myriad's Harmony Assistant, which I have used for years.  I purchased it, but you can have an unlimited free trial.   

http://www.myriad-online.com/en/products/harmony.htm
Greg Smith

Howard Jones

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2020, 11:56:02 AM »

I've just learned that Scan-Score are currently offering the basic version of their music scanning software for only $7.00.  This will convert scanned images of sheet music into xml which can then be imported into other music editors, including some ABC programs.  I've had mixed results from music scanning software in the past, but this seems to do quite a good job, at least where the original is of decent quality (it didn't do so well with my handwritten score, but I struggle to read that too).  This version will only read single staff tunes, but that accounts for most of my music library, and there are more sophisticated versions if you need more capability. At that price it seems worth a try.

https://scan-score.com/en/

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2020, 12:32:42 PM »

(1) Are you not over-reacting? You don't have to be connected to the internet to use Musescore;
it is stand-alone software. You only need to be connected to the internet ...
(2) to convert ABC to Musescore. Once you have a successful conversion you can switch the
internet and intergalactic space off.
(3) In my experience the ABC to Musescore conversion works very well, with usually the minimum
of tidying up needed, mostly adjustment of line lengths if you're the sort of person who insists
on tidy four-bar lines of music.
(1) I don't think so, because:
(2) I work 99% of the time with ABC, and don't 'create' scores directly in MuseScore, and:
(3) having carefully created 'four-bar lines of music' (which I do find easy to read), I don't
particularly want to have to do the job a second time around within MuseScore.

It's a personal thing - I was really only pointing out that 'new users' of MuseScore might stumble
if they hadn't cottoned to the fact that you needed to be connected to use the plug-in (I had to
have it pointed out to me when I first tried it... :-[).

I agree, it's sophisticated software - too sophisticated for a klutz like me... 8)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 12:35:22 PM by Roger Hare »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2020, 01:27:45 PM »

(2) I work 99% of the time with ABC, and don't 'create' scores directly in MuseScore,

If all you're doing, Roger, is creating simple one stave scores there's no point in using a score editor at all. Your needs are better served by working in abc.

Software like Musescore (and Harmony Assistant, come to that) only come into their own with more complex scores, at least that's what I find.

[I've just noticed that Harmony Assistant and it's smaller assistant sister, Melody Assistant, are quite severely restricted in their functionality. Shame, this wasn't the case earlier. Melody Assistant, in particular, was fully functional. Shame.]
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 01:56:48 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2020, 01:53:27 PM »

Make no mistake, I use both ABC and Musescore. The combination of the two is very powerful.

ABC is great for many things, especially for distributing tunes as simple text files which isn't software or platform dependant. Also there are so many tunes in ABC out there on t' interweb thingy.

But when it comes to ease of display, editing text, fonts, spacing, page layout, annotations, etc. all that sort of stuff, Muescore is a WYSIWYG doddle, compared with tweaking headers and faffing around with formatting parameters in ABC.

Musescore is as simple or as complex as you need it to be.

(3) having carefully created 'four-bar lines of music' (which I do find easy to read), I don't
particularly want to have to do the job a second time around within MuseScore.

You can set up Musescore so that it automatically creates 4-bar lines (or however many bars in a line as you want) on import from ABC.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2020, 02:02:33 PM »

I've just learned that Scan-Score are currently offering the basic version of their music scanning software for only $7.00.  This will convert scanned images of sheet music into xml which can then be imported into other music editors, including some ABC programs.  I've had mixed results from music scanning software in the past, but this seems to do quite a good job, at least where the original is of decent quality (it didn't do so well with my handwritten score, but I struggle to read that too).  This version will only read single staff tunes, but that accounts for most of my music library, and there are more sophisticated versions if you need more capability. At that price it seems worth a try.

https://scan-score.com/en/

Musescore has a facility to convert music in PDF format into editable Musescore files (I guess via XML, though this runs in the background I think). Its success is a bit variable, depending (like Howard mentions)on the quality of the original. But it's free. The best results I've had are when there is the minimum of extraneous text and markings on the page, so I edit out things like page numbers, titles, etc. using image editing software before trying to convert the PDF. It's a bit of a faff, but it can save a lot of time when there are a lot of notes to input.   
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Stockaryd

• Regular debater
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2020, 02:18:45 PM »

The message I get, every time, is;   

Allvarligt fel: rad 1 kolumn 38 Encountered incorrectly encoded content.

(In  English;   Serious error: row 1 column 38  Encountered incorrectly encoded content. )

Hohner Corso, Hohner Erica, Emmanuel Pariselle, Gessner,   Koch,   Mariotti,    "China  NoName",   4 Toy,     -and now some more

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2020, 02:26:36 PM »

The message I get, every time, is;   

Allvarligt fel: rad 1 kolumn 38 Encountered incorrectly encoded content.

(In  English;   Serious error: row 1 column 38  Encountered incorrectly encoded content. )
I don't know why the conversion is failing for you. It works with your file for me every time. Are you using the Musescore 'ABC import' plugin?
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Stockaryd

• Regular debater
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2020, 03:30:32 PM »

Yes.    I have used it many times before, and it works. 
 But not when I try to use  ABC from this site:  http://www.norbeck.nu/abc/index.asp

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2020, 04:04:20 PM »

Yes.    I have used it many times before, and it works. 
 But not when I try to use  ABC from this site:  http://www.norbeck.nu/abc/index.asp
It's very odd. I wonder if there is something peculiar about the text encoding on that site.
Have you tried saving the ABC file as a new plain text (.txt) file? Then use the Musescore plugin on the plain text file.
I just tried that and it works fine for me (again!)

Plain text version of your tune attached...
Also are you using the latest version of Musescore? v3.4.2.2?
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal