Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hohner double ray  (Read 3522 times)

Michael Driscoll

• Regular debater
Hohner double ray
« on: March 11, 2017, 08:53:04 PM »

These are good boxes but perhaps regarded as for beginners.  How would one go about suping them up? Would a change of reeds be enough!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Hohner double ray
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 09:23:01 PM »

The original reeds can be very good, specially in the older models.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Michael Driscoll

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 09:46:06 PM »

Yes Theo, the old ones can be and are good, but I did hear one some time ago that sounded different to the usual Hohner sound and it sounded super - a long time ago and I can't describe it better!

george garside

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 10:49:21 PM »

Jimmy Shand made a number of recordings on a CC# Erica ( same beast as the double bc double ray) fitted with Italian reeds and morino palets.  there is a youtube video of him playing Oh gin I were a barons heir  taken from the DVD dancing with the shands.

The same could be done on a double ray  and one day I might get round to doing it on aa separate set of reedblocks so as to be able to swap to the traditional hohner sound as & when required as there is something unique about the sound of the older double rays whsich I wouldn't want to lose completely.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Andy

• Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 11:46:23 PM »

Jimmy Shand made a number of recordings on a CC# Erica

Undoubtedly an Erica and I was aware that it is often quoted as being  CC# but genuinely not sure about the tuning. When I play along (Think it is in A) using only the CC# rows on my BCC# I often can't make my bellows directions match Jimmy's, also there appears to be an A note on the press which would not match up with CC#. I am not an expert player so willing to be corrected.

Could anyone else try playing along on the CC# rows and report back? would be interesting to know for sure.

Andy

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 11:53:27 PM »

There is a lot that simple things that can be done to improve the playing of a double ray:

Tuning, Hohner tuning is approximate at best, and quite wet which might not appeal to modern ears.
The keyboard can be improved to limit how far the buttons travel
Pallets can be re-faced to reduce noise
You can fit one of Pete Ward's nice wooden keyboards.

Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Andy

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 11:57:11 PM »

Should maybe keep this one quiet, but if you dont mind a bit more size and weight, the 3 voice Double Ray Deluxe is worth thinking about (sounds better to my ear) and is often available for little/no extra money compared with a similar condition and vintage regular DR.

If you are thinking of getting a DR - regular or Deluxe it is worth thinking very carefully about whether you want melodeon basses or the rarer mini stradella before taking the plunge.

Should also say if you get an old one with original melodeon bases you may want to get them converted to the modern bass layout. Theo did my DR Deluxe - brilliant job, just regret not getting it done sooner.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 12:07:44 AM by Andy »

gettabettabox

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 01:55:33 AM »

Undoubtedly an Erica and I was aware that it is often quoted as being  CC# but genuinely not sure about the tuning. When I play along (Think it is in A) using only the CC# rows on my BCC# I often can't make my bellows directions match Jimmy's, also there appears to be an A note on the press which would not match up with CC#. I am not an expert player so willing to be corrected.

Could anyone else try playing along on the CC# rows and report back? would be interesting to know for sure.

Andy

Yes, noticed that before and mentioned it on a previous thread. A on push.
Could possibly be a recording distortion from G#, but if not, then likely an A/D or C#/D box.

gettabettabox

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 02:02:39 AM »

Also, because I now have enough to satisfy my desires, the best of the two voice double rays tend to be black celluloid, wooden fingerboard....and usually with pin nails holding the reeds in situ. (Not saying these pins serve any purpose except in the tropics?!)
H and T reeds are both usually good in these models if well preserved.
Bass and chord tuning obsolete normally.

Michael Driscoll

• Regular debater
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 04:08:07 AM »

Jimmy Shand made a number of recordings on a CC# Erica fitted with Italian reeds and morino palets.  there is a youtube video of him playing Oh gin I were a barons heir  taken from the DVD dancing with the shands.

The same could be done on a double ray  and one day I might get round to doing it on aa separate set of reedblocks so as to be able to swap to the traditional hohner sound as & when required as there is something unique about the sound of the older double rays whsich I wouldn't want to lose completely.

george
[/quote]

I couldn't find that You Tube video as it seems to have been withdrawn. The sound of the older double Rays (and I have a variety of the models described ) is certainly unique and to be retained and the idea of a separate set of reedblocks to get a different sound as and when required is the answer - if I only knew the particular reedblocks and other alterations to achieve this with a double ray - other examples?

george garside

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 08:06:45 AM »

its still on youtube. just put in jimmy shand melodeon solo

presumably Erica/pokerwork reedblocks will fit a double ray (2 voice)

george

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 08:14:49 AM »

Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 09:33:58 AM »

..  How would one go about suping them up?

Do you know Martin Quinn? He is an expert when it comes to souping up Hohners.
Did you want something like Josephine Marsh is playing here?

« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 10:05:04 AM by Pearse Rossa »

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 11:09:45 AM »

There is a lot that simple things that can be done to improve the playing of a double ray:

Tuning, Hohner tuning is approximate at best, and quite wet which might not appeal to modern ears.
The keyboard can be improved to limit how far the buttons travel
Pallets can be re-faced to reduce noise
You can fit one of Pete Ward's nice wooden keyboards.

Bigger buttons would be an improvement as well.

george garside

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 11:13:12 AM »

If you are thinking of getting a DR - regular or Deluxe it is worth thinking very carefully about whether you want melodeon basses or the rarer mini stradella before taking the plunge.

Should also say if you get an old one with original melodeon bases you may want to get them converted to the modern bass layout. Theo did my DR Deluxe - brilliant job, just regret not getting it done sooner.

I could never see the point in the 3 voice double ray delux as its in the same case as the trichord and is not much lighter so why not go for the extra row unless the extra cost (when new) was a factor.
george

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2017, 01:11:10 PM »

The sound of the older double Rays (and I have a variety of the models described ) is certainly unique and to be retained and the idea of a separate set of reedblocks to get a different sound as and when required is the answer - if I only knew the particular reedblocks and other alterations to achieve this with a double ray - other examples?

You can buy reed blocks directly from the Hohner shop.
The reeds are not great I am told, but you could replace those with better quality ones.
They usually stock C#/D reeds on blocks as well, but they are out of stock at the moment.
The people at the shop are good to deal with and they might be prepared to supply the blocks on their own.
The Erica blocks will fit into a Double-Ray.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2017, 03:16:05 PM »

The Chinese made reeds that Hohner now sells are nothing like as good as the old ones. It should be easy enough to find some good secondhand ones for a fraction of the price.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

boxer

• Respected Sage
  • B/C Pokerwork - ultimate ceili box
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2017, 04:03:53 PM »

souping up is a matter of taste.  Key travel, button height above keyboard, and (treble) spring weight, are the things I like to adjust on my own Hohner B/Cs.  Tuning I leave to experts.  I like the traditional fast swing for cutting through the fog of instrument noise at sessions and crowd noise at ceilidhs.  On the bass side I prefer to convert the usual C/F lower inside pair of bass buttons to D/F as there's already a push C in the outer pair and gaining a push D is useful even within the limited range of B/C bass playing.
Nuage, Tommy, Cairdin, 
Double Ray DLX 21x12, Black Dot,
Pre-Erica, Pokerwork
plus various stringed things

hspeek

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2017, 05:55:16 PM »

Andy

Hi,

Definitely an A on the press - and I can play along quite nicely on my C#/D Double Ray. Since he's mostly on the inside row, it's
hard to tell what his outside row is. But my guess would be it's either C#/D or A/D.

Han

triskel

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2017, 06:53:39 PM »

Hi,

Definitely an A on the press - and I can play along quite nicely on my C#/D Double Ray. Since he's mostly on the inside row, it's
hard to tell what his outside row is. But my guess would be it's either C#/D or A/D.

Han

Yes, my C#/D Hohner plays quite happily with it, and I have previously mentioned a couple of times on the forum that I'd heard Jimmy had a C#/D Hohner - that meant he could play in A and E using G and D (B/C) fingerings...

I guess this must be it!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal