Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Paolo Soprani is this?  (Read 1786 times)

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Which Paolo Soprani is this?
« on: March 13, 2017, 07:28:13 PM »

Found this for sale, at €520. Doesn't say what keys it's in. Is it worth a punt?

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: Which Paolo Soprani is this?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 07:36:54 PM »

€520 is quite a few punts, actually. I would say, the Paolo has new clothes.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 07:37:44 PM »

Oops, that's twice I've done that recently, must be old age.

Sir John

There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 07:57:24 PM »

Judging by the number of bass buttons (12) and treble buttons (21) it is probably a continental rather than an Irish system.

triskel

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 08:01:16 PM »

Nice box, from the 1960s, but not suitable for Scottish or Irish players - with a stepped keyboard, 21 buttons and 12 basses and no doubt in the wrong key system for them.

But I'd say it's worth the price if none of that bothers you...

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 10:42:27 PM »

It's certainly worth that money. It looks to be in fine condition. I would guess it's in G/C.
That grille design was around in the 1950s/1960s. The company made some great boxes then.
It's probably a 3-voice and you would be surprised at how light weight these ones are.
The key board can always be converted to flat if the stepped one doesn't suit you.

Looking more closely at the photo, it's a 4-voice!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 10:51:15 PM by Pearse Rossa »

triskel

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 11:06:21 PM »

It's probably a 3-voice and you would be surprised at how light weight these ones are.

Yes, if you look at the price lists I posted today, you'll see that 12 basses were usually the "factory default" on 4-voice boxes - but not on ones destined for Britain and Ireland...

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 11:33:45 PM »

Yes, if you look at the price lists I posted today, you'll see that 12 basses were usually the "factory default" on 4-voice boxes - but not on ones destined for Britain and Ireland...

....and you also had the Pepperpot models, 3-voice with 12 basses.

triskel

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 12:07:27 AM »

....and you also had the Pepperpot models, 3-voice with 12 basses.

Absolutely! Having dealt with Italian factories for years, I can tell you they'll usually put more, or less basses, or treble keys, on than their "default" number, or make (for example) a 27-key model in 12/11/4, 11/10/6 or even 10/9/8 configuration - as long as you're prepared to pay extra and order enough of them!

Some factories even charge extra, and have a "minimum quantity" policy for ordering, if you want flat instead of stepped keyboards!!!

But if you see 12 basses on a Paolo, there's a good chance it'll be 4-voice because that's how they usually made them - whilst that LMM 21/12 configuration is a dead giveaway that those pepperpots weren't originally intended for the Irish market - I've been offered a "job-lot" price on somebody else's unsuitable (for Ireland) cancelled order myself before now...   ::)

Oh, and one of my pepperpots has only 4 basses (and 10 buttons), whilst the other one is a more normal 8 basses (and 21 buttons), and I've a 19/4 "grey box" that's jet-black! There's lots of variety when it comes to models that weren't intended to be sold in Ireland, or Britain!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal