Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old Diana accordeon, in a distressed condition - worth fixing?  (Read 525 times)

Jambouton

• Hearts supporters play sad stuff....

An elderly relative produced this instrument recently, saying "I'm going to throw this out.  Do you want it?"  I don't particularly, but I said I'd try to find out if it was worth repairing/saving.  A breif search on here suggests it's probably not - there seems to be some very low opinions of these types of box.  However, just to be sure - can anyone confirm if this is indeed a cheaply made instrument, not worth putting any effort into?  What further information, if anything, would you need to be able to sday?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Jim
... so Marvin the Paranoid Android got the Guinness in and, after we'd found a seat, he said "Drummers - loath them or ignore them, you can't like them".  He's got a point, though, hasn't he?  I mean ....

triskel

Re: Old Diana accordeon, in a distressed condition - worth fixing?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 08:10:37 PM »

I had one of these many years ago and it wasn't a bad instrument. Like this one it said "Finest Steel Reeds" and they played decently, but it was in better condition.

It'd be a labour of love to do it up, but much more worthwhile than the majority of old 10-key melodeons.

Edward Jennings

• "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 08:55:52 PM »

There's currently one on fleabay for £130, or something like that. It's been on for months, mind.
Edward
Windy Nook, Tyneside or Luxor on the Nile.

International One Row 2 voice in D. National Band 3 stopper in G. Hohner 1140 in C. Hering 2 row in G/C. Very poorly C/F Hohner 1600. Plus projects and parts of projects.
http://ourluxorflat.blogspot.co.uk/

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 09:31:36 PM »

I would feel it very sad if even "cheap" boxes are left to rot, they'll never be replaced again. It's a bit like my Organette , to bring it back to playing condition has been extremely expensive. Having new reeds made in Czech Republic , replating in Sheffield  and buying tiny little nuts ( don't start Pikey) from Wales to sort the key buttons out. BUT,I have a big surprise . More news coming soon.
   Yes, even a cheap box is worth preserving.  Just because we'll never see the same again.  :'(
Q: How do you get a million Pounds £ ?
A: Set off with Two million and start a Fettling business.

Garry Probert

• Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 01:18:49 PM »

Hi
Yes, even a cheap box is worth preserving.  Just because we'll never see the same again
Having owned a 70s morris marina I  personally think some vintage instruments and vintage cars etc deserve to be condemned to oblivion with money the better spent on reviving quality iconic items.
The plethora of indifferently built budget vintage banjos/ukuleles/guitars i've had in my workshop over the years has convinced me rarity is not always a virtue.   

Jambouton

• Hearts supporters play sad stuff....
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 08:45:49 PM »

Hi
Yes, even a cheap box is worth preserving.  Just because we'll never see the same again
Having owned a 70s morris marina I  personally think some vintage instruments and vintage cars etc deserve to be condemned to oblivion with money the better spent on reviving quality iconic items.
The plethora of indifferently built budget vintage banjos/ukuleles/guitars i've had in my workshop over the years has convinced me rarity is not always a virtue.

If I thought this box was the melodeon equivalent of a Morris Marina, I'd take it out and burn it now, to save myself!
... so Marvin the Paranoid Android got the Guinness in and, after we'd found a seat, he said "Drummers - loath them or ignore them, you can't like them".  He's got a point, though, hasn't he?  I mean ....

Stevie D

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 11:06:39 PM »

being an American, I had no idea what a morris marina was, "till I googled it. Thanks for the laugh

GPS

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 05:21:50 AM »

If I thought this box was the melodeon equivalent of a Morris Marina, I'd take it out and burn it now, to save myself!

I drove one of those once - just the once.........
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch undergoing a rebuild. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 000-style acoustic guitar and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Garry Probert

• Regular debater
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 09:33:05 AM »

Hi
thanks for that ,certainly gave me chuckle

"This wonderful vintage and rare instrument was owned by my great grandfather "Morris P Marina" and was found in the loft of his caravan untouched for over 60 years
He was bus driver and part time vaudevillian from little hampton ,and entertained his passengers with popular tunes of the day,accompanying himself on this wonderful and unique instrument.

The instrument is missing some parts and has several cracks but this is normal for an instrument of this age,and does not affect its playability in any way
My grandmother told me while she was bathing the dog, that it was carried on Brunels SS Great Eastern steam ships maiden voyage,as her father was commissioned to entertain the riveters.
That probably accounts for the water damage and damp smell in the case. 

Psuggmog Volbenz

• Regular debater
    • musical whimsy
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 10:53:28 AM »

If you have any interest in " messing around" with accordion repairing, at least this box has steel reeds. Early on, I obtained a few cheap clunkers figuring that I could learn and practice on these before attempting to work on valuable melodeons. I found this to be a useful excerise. It also gave me test beds to try out alternative ways to repair problems not always considered repairable. While it probably wouldn't be worth paying someone to repair, it could be instructive to explore the "innards"of this instrument if you are so inclined.
I'm squeezin' and they're wheezin': old junker boxes

Psuggmog Volbenz

• Regular debater
    • musical whimsy
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 10:56:33 AM »

There is visual evidence of past repairs.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 07:35:03 PM »

What sort of evidence?
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Psuggmog Volbenz

• Regular debater
    • musical whimsy
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 08:21:48 AM »

What sort of evidence?
if you look at the treble end pallets in the OP's attachment, in addition to the missing pallets, there are two replacement ones which are a structurally different, functional approximation of the originals.  These two have rods as levers rather then triangulated webs. The replacement pallets appear to be made of an aluminium alloy and are less oxidized than the others.

Kimric Smythe

• Respected Sage
    • Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 06:17:43 PM »

What sort of evidence?

Blood and lots of little arrows pointing at certain parts with words like "F**k this stuck screw".
Smythe's Accordion Center
Oakland, California
Fixing broken stuff since 1997
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.