Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Old Diana accordeon, in a distressed condition - worth fixing?  (Read 2935 times)

Jambouton

• Hearts supporters play sad stuff....

An elderly relative produced this instrument recently, saying "I'm going to throw this out.  Do you want it?"  I don't particularly, but I said I'd try to find out if it was worth repairing/saving.  A breif search on here suggests it's probably not - there seems to be some very low opinions of these types of box.  However, just to be sure - can anyone confirm if this is indeed a cheaply made instrument, not worth putting any effort into?  What further information, if anything, would you need to be able to sday?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Jim
... so Marvin the Paranoid Android got the Guinness in and, after we'd found a seat, he said "Drummers - loath them or ignore them, you can't like them".  He's got a point, though, hasn't he?  I mean ....

triskel

Re: Old Diana accordeon, in a distressed condition - worth fixing?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 08:10:37 PM »

I had one of these many years ago and it wasn't a bad instrument. Like this one it said "Finest Steel Reeds" and they played decently, but it was in better condition.

It'd be a labour of love to do it up, but much more worthwhile than the majority of old 10-key melodeons.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 08:55:52 PM »

There's currently one on fleabay for £130, or something like that. It's been on for months, mind.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 09:31:36 PM »

I would feel it very sad if even "cheap" boxes are left to rot, they'll never be replaced again. It's a bit like my Organette , to bring it back to playing condition has been extremely expensive. Having new reeds made in Czech Republic , replating in Sheffield  and buying tiny little nuts ( don't start Pikey) from Wales to sort the key buttons out. BUT,I have a big surprise . More news coming soon.
   Yes, even a cheap box is worth preserving.  Just because we'll never see the same again.  :'(
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Garry Probert

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 01:18:49 PM »

Hi
Yes, even a cheap box is worth preserving.  Just because we'll never see the same again
Having owned a 70s morris marina I  personally think some vintage instruments and vintage cars etc deserve to be condemned to oblivion with money the better spent on reviving quality iconic items.
The plethora of indifferently built budget vintage banjos/ukuleles/guitars i've had in my workshop over the years has convinced me rarity is not always a virtue.   

Jambouton

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 08:45:49 PM »

Hi
Yes, even a cheap box is worth preserving.  Just because we'll never see the same again
Having owned a 70s morris marina I  personally think some vintage instruments and vintage cars etc deserve to be condemned to oblivion with money the better spent on reviving quality iconic items.
The plethora of indifferently built budget vintage banjos/ukuleles/guitars i've had in my workshop over the years has convinced me rarity is not always a virtue.

If I thought this box was the melodeon equivalent of a Morris Marina, I'd take it out and burn it now, to save myself!
... so Marvin the Paranoid Android got the Guinness in and, after we'd found a seat, he said "Drummers - loath them or ignore them, you can't like them".  He's got a point, though, hasn't he?  I mean ....

Stevie D

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 11:06:39 PM »

being an American, I had no idea what a morris marina was, "till I googled it. Thanks for the laugh

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 05:21:50 AM »

If I thought this box was the melodeon equivalent of a Morris Marina, I'd take it out and burn it now, to save myself!

I drove one of those once - just the once.........
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Garry Probert

• Respected Sage
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 09:33:05 AM »

Hi
thanks for that ,certainly gave me chuckle

"This wonderful vintage and rare instrument was owned by my great grandfather "Morris P Marina" and was found in the loft of his caravan untouched for over 60 years
He was bus driver and part time vaudevillian from little hampton ,and entertained his passengers with popular tunes of the day,accompanying himself on this wonderful and unique instrument.

The instrument is missing some parts and has several cracks but this is normal for an instrument of this age,and does not affect its playability in any way
My grandmother told me while she was bathing the dog, that it was carried on Brunels SS Great Eastern steam ships maiden voyage,as her father was commissioned to entertain the riveters.
That probably accounts for the water damage and damp smell in the case. 

Psuggmog Volbenz

• Respected Sage
    • musical whimsy
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 10:53:28 AM »

If you have any interest in " messing around" with accordion repairing, at least this box has steel reeds. Early on, I obtained a few cheap clunkers figuring that I could learn and practice on these before attempting to work on valuable melodeons. I found this to be a useful excerise. It also gave me test beds to try out alternative ways to repair problems not always considered repairable. While it probably wouldn't be worth paying someone to repair, it could be instructive to explore the "innards"of this instrument if you are so inclined.
I'm squeezin' and they're wheezin': old junker boxes

Psuggmog Volbenz

• Respected Sage
    • musical whimsy
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 10:56:33 AM »

There is visual evidence of past repairs.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 07:35:03 PM »

What sort of evidence?
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Psuggmog Volbenz

• Respected Sage
    • musical whimsy
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 08:21:48 AM »

What sort of evidence?
if you look at the treble end pallets in the OP's attachment, in addition to the missing pallets, there are two replacement ones which are a structurally different, functional approximation of the originals.  These two have rods as levers rather then triangulated webs. The replacement pallets appear to be made of an aluminium alloy and are less oxidized than the others.

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 06:17:43 PM »

What sort of evidence?

Blood and lots of little arrows pointing at certain parts with words like "F**k this stuck screw".
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997

Jambouton

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2018, 11:38:40 AM »

In tidying the spare room this week, I came across this box again.  I had forgotten it was there.  I really want to get rid, but can't bring myself to put it into landfill.  Nor can I bring myself to break it up for kindling (after all, it's not a cajón!).  The question is - what to do with it?  Any suggestions? 

If anyone on here would like it as a "project", they can have it for the cost of P and P.  If you're in the Sheffield area, you're welcome to just come and get it. 

The bottom line is, it needs to go - it's taking up valuable beer space.

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2018, 12:22:56 PM »

I used the reeds from an old melodeon as replacement reeds for one of those little toy melodeons. I always imagined making the rest of it into a box (container) of some kind - I'm always in need of somewhere to put odds and ends.

My mum has a Diana branded instument that she liked, and it did indeed seem nicer than the one I pulled apart, so if someone's been thinking of mucking around this might be a fine place to start. She's actually up in york at the moment but is probably completely unreachable. Hers is in D.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2018, 12:32:08 PM »

For those of us of a certain age, and stable disposition, I rework the words of a certain Paul Anka. "Oh Please Don't Stay by me Diana" ♫♫♪

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2018, 01:16:44 PM »

I picked up one as such 2 row with original Copper reeds but box in many pieces the guy even wrapped the pieces individually in plastics.
Mine's a Hohner Steel reeds not this Diana. i'm putting it together to see if the reeds work most of them still work but may just keep the box for display. You could also restore the box to Display only i've seen those also sell on Ebay but Keep the reeds if they're still good reeds ;))
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.

Jambouton

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2018, 01:44:34 PM »

I picked up one as such 2 row with original Copper reeds but box in many pieces the guy even wrapped the pieces individually in plastics.
Mine's a Hohner Steel reeds not this Diana. i'm putting it together to see if the reeds work most of them still work but may just keep the box for display. You could also restore the box to Display only i've seen those also sell on Ebay but Keep the reeds if they're still good reeds ;))

Thanks for the suggestion, but I won't keep the reeds or the box.  Because of some physical difficulties I had with playing, I gave up playing the box and sold the one had.

Anne Croucher

• Regular debater
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2018, 07:01:09 PM »

Good thing I could not get onto the hotel wii fii - the Diana box I have is nothing spectacular but it plays (I have just driven back from Yorkshire) - it is flat by the 440 standard, but the steel reeds polished up and sound nicely.
Barcarole D/G
Hohner Ericas D/G and C/F
Hohner el Rey del Vallenato A/D/G aka 'Elvis'
Hohner Liliput Bb/Eb club layout
Meinel & Herold G C F 3 voice 3 row 16 bass
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal