Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paolo Soprani GCB -- 1930s? dating thoughts?  (Read 9856 times)

pgroff

Re: Paolo Soprani GCB -- 1930s? dating thoughts?
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2013, 12:38:50 AM »

Well now, I wish I'd found this thread earlier!

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,13248.0.html

A related conversation was already underway about the GCB, but from the starting point of the music that Stephen mentioned rather than from a particular accordion.  In any case I'm very glad Stephen directed me from this thread to Vacher and the connection of the GCB with early musette music. My excuse for not noticing the relevance of the other thread sooner is that I always thought of musette music in terms of CBA, having known a very good player of CBA from Paris.  I thought of the GCB as related to ethnic Italian music, and related to an earlier  time  . . which I guess is also true.

Here's another addition re: Vacher however, with some discussion of the instruments he played including a tiny "diato" that looks the size of the one in the photo below (although Vacher's was evidently red):

http://blogs.mondomix.com/accordeon.php/2009/01/23/emile-vacher

PG
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 12:45:08 AM by pgroff »

triskel

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2017, 10:39:03 PM »

Can anyone match this box to a catalogue to date it more precisely? 

... I'll look through what I've got.

But (for now) on stylistic grounds, I'd reckon it's from ... possibly the very beginning of the 1930s - "circa 1930" might be a reasonable description.

Having come across a stash of American single-sheet catalogs that I'd almost forgotten I had, for Paolo Soprani sellers between 1925-6 and 1941-2, I can now say that the metal grille on yours is a style that first appears in one of them dated March 1933 Paul, and it's still illustrated in my subsequent one "from Oct. 1934 to Dec. 1935".

This No. 56 piano accordion is from that March 1933 catalog and has the same design along the front of the grille, and the same chequer banding as your G/C/B, as also do No. 22, No. 50, No. 52 and No. 54 in it:

There are also models of with similar floral decoration to the G/C/B shown, next to No. 54, illustrated here from the (sale-price!) May 1933 catalog:

So I'd say that makes 1933-4 a likely date.

pgroff

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2017, 01:47:56 PM »

Thanks Stephen!

BTW a nice example of a Paolo Soprani piano accordion similar to that Model 56 has been offered for sale on ebay multiple times in recent years by the same seller, I think in Mississippi.  Asking price seems to be too high for today's market, but it's clearly a nice machine.

PG

edited to add:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Comm-Paola-Soprano-amp-Ligli-Accordian-made-in-Castelfidardo-Italy-/132102554516
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 02:01:26 PM by pgroff »

triskel

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2017, 08:44:05 PM »

Asking price seems to be too high for today's market, but it's clearly a nice machine.

At an asking price of US$2,485.00 I think you're being very polite Paul - "totally out of touch with reality" would be more my thinking!  ???
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal