Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: small box with best bass  (Read 8059 times)

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
Re: small box with best bass
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2017, 10:13:09 AM »

I think that for the main part it is a convention ...

Based on actual playing, and musical theory, what would be the prefered correlation? I mean, i think you would normally want your V to be lower than your I, right? Is there logic for the others as well? 

If you use this I-V correlation and the fact that C is lowest, can you conclude that playing in F gives you the nicest configuration of basses?

W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2017, 10:44:58 AM »

I have never heard that theory saying that the V bass should be lower than the I ... I can think of just as many example of famous music where the V is above the I as it is the other way around when it's played on bass instruments that have the choice ... it depends on the way the bass line is going and is chosen for effect.

I sometimes think people are making up these "rules" somewhere because they enjoy rules more than they enjoy music!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 11:34:57 AM by squeezy »
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2017, 10:53:44 AM »

One row melodeons in B flat, C and D have the V higher than the I.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

911377brian

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2017, 11:13:32 AM »

I was getting interested in this post, then the I,V thing popped up and did for me. What exactly is or does I V mean or represent?

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2017, 11:17:17 AM »

In the key of C, C (the root) is I and G (the fifth) is V.

Other keys:
G is I, D is V.
D is I, A is V.
F is I, C is V.
etc.
www.melodeons.com

george garside

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2017, 11:24:42 AM »

I sometimes think people are making up these "rules" somewhere because they enjoy rules more than they enjoy music!

george

me to!
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

911377brian

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2017, 11:30:11 AM »

Thanks Rees, very clear...

Cooper

• Cooper's homepage
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2017, 03:21:42 PM »

I have never heard that theory saying that the V bass should be lower than the I ... I can think of just as many example of famous music where the V is above the I as it is the other way around when it's played on bass instruments that have the choice ... it depends on the way the bass line is going and is chosen for effect.

I enjoy both :-)

And ofcourse when a bassline is going in one direction it is most beautiful to be able to continue that line. This isexactly why i am thinking about it. Things like that, dont have to be 'hard rules" but, knowing that usually the C is lowest onthe basses the different boxes will sound different, (apart from tuning) when playing the same fingering. It's because some chord/basslines work better on one box than the other, due to the jump in octave on the left hand being on another spot. I was wondering if there is some sort of general thought on that. I havent been able to put my finger on it. 

(i am thinking about it, because i am in the process of ordering some reeds, might as well make a thought-through choice there as well)

W
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 03:25:55 PM by Cooper »
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2017, 09:34:31 PM »

Rees I hope you don't mind me adding to your information: it might help to think of the I in this case as the tonic, rather than the root. So that we know we are talking about 2 different chords, rather than inversions of the same chord. Root (C for example) and Fifth (G) could both refer to C chords.
I think the point was to say that in a perfect cadence the root note of the dominant chord should be lower that the root note of the tonic chord (not a statement I agree with, by the way - so much depends on the direction of travel of the melody for example as well as the bass).
I love realising that an emotional response to music is controllable by conscious decisions of craftsmen composers. The first time I heard a Mediant modulation (ask me if you're interested) I thought it was just beautiful music, now I know that it was fully intended I feel even more respect. Knowledge and instinct are not necessarily discrete skills.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2017, 09:50:30 PM »

No problem P&T, we were discussing fundamental bass notes not chords.
www.melodeons.com

911377brian

« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2017, 10:33:09 PM »

I thought I was beginning to get a grip on this...

Cooper

• Cooper's homepage
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2017, 07:35:43 PM »

I think the point was to say that in a perfect cadence the root note of the dominant chord should be lower that the root note of the tonic chord (not a statement I agree with, by the way - so much depends on the direction of travel of the melody for example as well as the bass).
I love realising that an emotional response to music is controllable by conscious decisions of craftsmen composers. The first time I heard a Mediant modulation (ask me if you're interested) I thought it was just beautiful music, now I know that it was fully intended I feel even more respect. Knowledge and instinct are not necessarily discrete skills.
Yes, this is the sort of thing i mean. "rules" or "laws" not to prescribe how you should do things, but to describe how things often work. And yes i am interested in what this mediant modulation is :-) but perhaps in another thread or pm?
W

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

Garry Probert

• Respected Sage
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2017, 09:58:28 AM »

Hi
For me the old Hohner Liliputs have the most bassy basses of all these with the Lilly having the most nasal sounding basses.
thats exactly where i,m at ,after more swopping of boxes than is good for ones health the lilliputs really are in a class of there own for size.
Alright you got me ,i,m convinced its only liliput for me now lol   

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2017, 08:36:38 PM »

I was surprised at how deep and resonant the bass on Hohner Galaads/Merlins.
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal